Re: brake piston removal

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
simo

Post by simo »

Dought they will shift a propper siezed piston Mike. Water pump pliers if you're carefull not to mark the outside of the piston but i used to use a grease gun after welding a pipe union and a grease nipple together :biggrin
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

1/8bsp airline fitting from halfords, screwed into the bleed nipple hole, then push it out with a footpump.
or can you not just pump it out with the mc?
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mike, I've not used one of those tools (as in your ebay advert) myself, and looking at it, IMHO I doubt it'll remove a piston that is badly seized in a brake caliper. I also doubt compressed air will either. I like the grease gun idea, as by fitting a grease nipple inline, that will have a non return valve in it so it should work better, also less chance of an accident with grease, unlike a sudden let go of compressed air.

As Benny says using a m/cylinder would also be good, but watch your eyes with the brake fluid if you try that method, oh yeah and the flying piston too :wink:

Chris (Jonesey) may be able to offer some advice on this problem.

Good luck with it.

Chris.

PS. I've just had another idea Mike. If you're going to make the piston unusable by drilling it anyway, may be could you weld a flat bar across the piston to get some leverage on it. If you can get the piston moving around in the caliper you'll be on your way to getting it out :)
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

Using compressed air to remove pistons is a really bad idea. They hurt when they fly across the workshop as well.

Grease is the safest and most efficient way to do it, just make sure the calipers are well washed out to remove all traces before reassembly though as mineral oil will wreck the seals. It works nearly every time.

Or if they are still fitted to the bike pump out with the brake lever...clamp other pistons in the caliper if necessary
Not what you think...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

OK Mike, good luck with it, whichever way you go with it,

Chris.
Serlant

Post by Serlant »

Had this problem on a spare XJ600 caliper i bought on ebay as i wanted to use the calipers but the seals were shot, had to connect it up then bleed it, then pump the crap out of the lever but they came out eventually.
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

Any joy getting the piston out Mike?
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

I've got plenty of good/new seals too, give me a shout.
J.
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
playerone

Post by playerone »

FirestormMike wrote:Anyone got a pair of / used these things before ? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brake-piston-remo ... 2c5d13b3f9
Need to remove a couple of well seized pistons and wondering if they're worth splashing out £20 for, as they do look a bit flimsy.
I bought one of those for giving mine an overhaul and there fine for spinning the pistons round to clean up but doubt you'll get a stuck one actually out..