Good moaning.....

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
SloppySeconds

Good moaning.....

Post by SloppySeconds »

Hi all, signing up on here as I am in the process of selling my 2006 Triumph Daytona 675, unfortunately the proceeds will be going towards a few other things at home. I will however be buying a Firestorm in the near future. Until then I will be knocking around on here gathering information, advice and asking questions. A bit of banter wouldn't go amiss either. I passed my bike test in April 08 and had a 1997 GSXR600 SRAD for about 2 weeks before buying the Daytona. The Daytona is a brilliant bike but I just really fancied a change and have always liked V-Twins, didn't like the SV650/1000, heard some horror stories about TL's and nothing but good things about VTR's so here I am. I will be doing a search when I get chance but are there particular things I should be looking out for when buying? Weak areas? Reg/Rec issues? CCT's? Any recall work that should be carried out?

Love and hugs

Tony
For those who have had to fight for it, life has a flavour the sheltered shall never taste.
simo

Re: Good moaning.....

Post by simo »

Welcome to the Forum Tony. Loads of info and some well experienced people who will keep you right. And quite a few Tony's

Tony.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome.........good to see a man doing his homework, best advise is to try and get a test ride
AMcQ
SloppySeconds

Post by SloppySeconds »

AMCQ46 wrote:Welcome.........good to see a man doing his homework, best advise is to try and get a test ride

Thats a nice offer, thank you :D
For those who have had to fight for it, life has a flavour the sheltered shall never taste.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Hi sloppy and welcome, if you hunt around you should find a good example for £1500-£2000 anything over £2000 and then it needs to be a low mileage minter.
just remember it will feel nothing like a inline 4 screaming sportsbike. what you will get is a more comfortable bike with a thumping midrange and with the right set of cans they make a great sound.
good luck buddy.........
:thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
SloppySeconds

Post by SloppySeconds »

bigspanishmarty wrote:Hi sloppy and welcome, if you hunt around you should find a good example for £1500-£2000 anything over £2000 and then it needs to be a low mileage minter.
just remember it will feel nothing like a inline 4 screaming sportsbike. what you will get is a more comfortable bike with a thumping midrange and with the right set of cans they make a great sound.
good luck buddy.........
:thumbup:
Ta mate. After seeing a few dyno printouts on the site I can see that it's very torquey compared to the standard Daytona 675, mine dyno'd at 110bhp and 50nm, that was with the headers de-catted/exup removed, MWR filter and custom tune on dyno. Comfort was a big thing aswell, I'm 6ft1 and felt folded up after long rides. When you say 'right cans', which are you referring to? the bikes I've seen 'in the flesh' have had standard and Art cans. Youtube is my only other source, not the best sound quality though.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

SloppySeconds wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:Welcome.........good to see a man doing his homework, best advise is to try and get a test ride

Thats a nice offer, thank you :D
I wouldnt mind a ride on a 675, and as you just added your location as Coventry, we should see if we can sort a meet up .

As you dont have any history on this Forum that gives us 2 problems
a) I dont think you have enough posts to send or recieve PM's so we cant exchange mobile numbers, and I dont put my person info out on the web.
2) clearly I dont know anything about you, so we have to work out how / why I can trust you on my pride & joy. But I am sure we can work something out as long as I have your bike and proof that it is yours and insured :)
AMcQ
SloppySeconds

Post by SloppySeconds »

I wouldn't have expected you to offer me a test ride mate, that is very nice but as you say, you know nothing about me and vice versa. I'm sure I'll find out soon enough :D My D675 is getting picked up this Friday or Saturday by a guy who's exporting it to Germany :( Will be sad to see it go but I feel it's time for a change. Whats the service intervals for the VTR's? I did oil and filter on my Triumph every 2000 miles, I'm just a bit OCD with my engine work though. I've been reading about the CCT's too, I put a manual adjuster on my Triumph as the early Daytona 675's had auto adjuster springs made of cheese.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I dont follow the schedule, I am too much of a summer rider thease days, so I do my oil & filter every year, and that is about 3 or 4000 miles. I am sure the service schedule is documented somewhere, but my view on engines with cams that run in the cyl head without bushes is to change the oil often.

Shame the daytona is going, I had got quite keen on the idea of having a go!. But I suspect The Strom will feel very big and slow steering in comparision, so might be best if I dont, it may kick of a new series of modifications!
AMcQ
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

AMCQ46 wrote: I do my oil & filter every year, and that is about 3 or 4000 miles.
8O thats a month's riding for me lol!!
near enough anyway did 2900 last month.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

and all on 2 tanks of fuel :D :Ball Kick:
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Hello, another Tony.

Just buy a cheap one, then ride it for a while, see if you like it.
If not, turn it back into cash=- but you will like it.....

You can buy a decent one with high mileage in good nick for as little as £1350, if you're willing to put up with a red one.

The other colours cost a bit more.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

AMCQ46 wrote:and all on 2 tanks of fuel :D :Ball Kick:
not any more mate... its now officially a thirsty bugger, lucky to get 100 mile to the light now!! 8O
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Miztaziggy

Good moaning.....

Post by Miztaziggy »

SloppySeconds wrote:I wouldn't have expected you to offer me a test ride mate, that is very nice but as you say, you know nothing about me and vice versa. I'm sure I'll find out soon enough :D My D675 is getting picked up this Friday or Saturday by a guy who's exporting it to Germany :( Will be sad to see it go but I feel it's time for a change. Whats the service intervals for the VTR's? I did oil and filter on my Triumph every 2000 miles, I'm just a bit OCD with my engine work though. I've been reading about the CCT's too, I put a manual adjuster on my Triumph as the early Daytona 675's had auto adjuster springs made of cheese.
Hi mate, where did you sell the 675? Simply out of interest, because I sold my r1 about 3 months ago to a trader from Germany. He came to collect and picked up another 6 or 7 bikes the same weekend he was over here. Just wondering if it is the same guy...
SloppySeconds

Post by SloppySeconds »

AMCQ46 wrote:I dont follow the schedule, I am too much of a summer rider thease days, so I do my oil & filter every year, and that is about 3 or 4000 miles. I am sure the service schedule is documented somewhere, but my view on engines with cams that run in the cyl head without bushes is to change the oil often.

Shame the daytona is going, I had got quite keen on the idea of having a go!. But I suspect The Strom will feel very big and slow steering in comparision, so might be best if I dont, it may kick of a new series of modifications!
I don't mind big and slow, the Daytona was getting to be a licence loser the more I rode it, far more track orientated than road IMO.
tony.mon wrote:Hello, another Tony.

Just buy a cheap one, then ride it for a while, see if you like it.
If not, turn it back into cash=- but you will like it.....

You can buy a decent one with high mileage in good nick for as little as £1350, if you're willing to put up with a red one.

The other colours cost a bit more.....
Is red a common....erm I mean popular colour then? :twisted: I understand you're the guy to see about manual CCT's should i need them? Could you PM me a price pretty please? :)

Miztaziggy wrote:
SloppySeconds wrote:I wouldn't have expected you to offer me a test ride mate, that is very nice but as you say, you know nothing about me and vice versa. I'm sure I'll find out soon enough :D My D675 is getting picked up this Friday or Saturday by a guy who's exporting it to Germany :( Will be sad to see it go but I feel it's time for a change. Whats the service intervals for the VTR's? I did oil and filter on my Triumph every 2000 miles, I'm just a bit OCD with my engine work though. I've been reading about the CCT's too, I put a manual adjuster on my Triumph as the early Daytona 675's had auto adjuster springs made of cheese.
Hi mate, where did you sell the 675? Simply out of interest, because I sold my r1 about 3 months ago to a trader from Germany. He came to collect and picked up another 6 or 7 bikes the same weekend he was over here. Just wondering if it is the same guy...
Sold on ebay to a guy called Ben....something or other.....seems okay, left a deposit straight away.