Hey guys!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
vtryorks

Hey guys!

Post by vtryorks »

Hi there,

I'm Martin from Yorkshire, just about to buy my first VTR and rejoin the biking fraternity at the same time. Been a long time since I've ridden and I never passed a full test in the UK so my biking experience is all from abroad.

I've got my eye on a VTR, in fact its reserved (see: http://www.haymouth.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... =7&t=19558).

Once I get my act together and complete my purchase, I hope to be able to share my trials and tribulations with you all.

Always wanted a Firestorm and maybe this week I will finally get one. Then I just need to pass my DAS which starts tomorrow. Not going to say when my tests are though! Not even my wife knows!

Hope to be of some use to this forum eventually but for now maybe I'll just pick your brains, if thats ok :)

Cheers,

Martin
simo

Re: Hey guys!

Post by simo »

Welcome Martin. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Storm as most people do. Let us know a bit more about your bike and your location sometime. Best of luck with your tests.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Hi simo,

Thanks mate! I'm about 20 minutes away by Firestorm from Squires cafe.

The VTR in the link i posted is the one I'm hoping to purchase unless someone from here tells me its a really silly idea! (price is not 10k!!!)

:D

PS. Silver is obviously the fastest colour, based on my extensive research.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome along fella. Have a good read through the threads on here to make sure the bike you have your eye on is suitable and has the relevant improvements.
For those darn sarf, where are you based?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

I'm near Pontefract, West Yorks :)

I've been reading about the CCT mod that needs doing but when I get an actual bike, I am sure I will be fettling until all hours! There seems to be a few issues to sort out on the VTR, CCT being one and I read something else but I'm a patient sort and I'll read once I've got the actual bike :D

To think...I almost bought a Z1000. Egads, modern bikes just all look like clones.

I think I'd rather take my chances with something that has some character and dare I say "heritage" and fiddle with it if its not right. Can make a bloody nice Firestorm for the 5k price difference I reckon, plus stockpile a fair few bits!

Last edited by vtryorks on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

I should add that the bike I want to buy is too far away to inspect personally, so I'm buying from pics only. Not ideal but for this money, if its screwed with less than 10k miles on it, theres something very wrong. I reckon my exposure is 1k tops and I can live with that, even if I have to break it for spares if its a wreck but Im hoping not!
Gash sniffa

Post by Gash sniffa »

Blue ones are much quicker than silver, everybody knows that! :thumbup:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Gash sniffa wrote:Blue ones are much quicker than silver, everybody knows that! :thumbup:
Gash, you are of course completly correct in your statement, although some poor misguided fools will attempt to convince you otherwise. Candy Tahitian blue is indeed the King of colours!!
With regard to the silver VTR, where is it? I am sure someone would be willing to cast an eye over it for you. Not the same as looking yourself but better than buying blind.
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

The bike I'm after is in the Isle of Wight...its sold to me pending a chat with the dealer tomorrow.

If anyone lives close enough, that would be amazing...never would have thought to ask given my "newbie" status!
Gash sniffa

Post by Gash sniffa »

Hey Kev, Ive got a video called Tihitian Blue. :shh:
Gash sniffa

Post by Gash sniffa »

Isle White seems a long way dude... from where you are anyway! They are about and you'll prob find one round the corner, so to speak. Take your time , (but not too much) and look at a few first, cos you can get a real good one for not much doe.....cryin shame really but good for the buyer!
Lots of tricked up ones too, if thats your scene.
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Heyup Gash,

I must have looked at around 50 on eBay/MCN and freeads etc.

This was the one that kind of stuck out. Just a shame its so far away. Then again, if you dont ever roll the dice, you never get lucky.

I just hope I dont end up crying it!

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

vtryorks wrote:The bike I'm after is in the Isle of Wight...its sold to me pending a chat with the dealer tomorrow.

If anyone lives close enough, that would be amazing...never would have thought to ask given my "newbie" status!
Bloody hell that's a trek mate. I thought I travelled when I got mine from York down to Hertford. So have we got anyone on the Island Blanc?? (Did anyone see MCN this week? Isle of Wight TT).

Gash, think I saw that one!!!
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

I'm not going down Kev, I'm buying unseen.

Eeek!

I'm sacrificing a few bottles of Budweiser to the gods at the moment in anticipation of a happy union with a new Firestorm this week.

I cant wait to get cracking with it, tinkering until I pass my DAS test :D
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

hi and welcome martin

the silver storms are the quickest and the 2 red and 1 yellow storm owners that tried to catch me up on sunday will tell you that too lol.

read,read and read all the info in knowledge base on here as the haynes manual can be wrong...especially with the cct changes

pontefract!!!!...i'm only 5mins away from you in knottla...i hope your training with FMT as kev's the best in yorkshire....good luck with your tests m8 and i'll see you at squires soon

andi.