Binned it - what now?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Miztaziggy

Binned it - what now?

Post by Miztaziggy »

After what was a belting day up in the north west with Benny, Daz (from NWB) and Kev (from NWB), we were about 5 miles from the motorway and heading home when I came to a right hand corner with a long string of pot holes up to and around the corner. I swerved to miss the first big one then leaning into the corner hit one of the second set. Front end went and the bike and I slid up the kerb and onto the verge toward the barrier. Luckily, I was going quite slow, between 20 and 30mph, so no major injuries. Ripped my leathers, squashed my leg under the bike, maybe broken my 4th finger on left hand and scraped my helmet. It could have been so much worse....

Big thank you to Benny, Daz and Kev. Benny that was a brilliant idea with the piece of fence used to hold on the hanger, wouldnt have been able to ride it home without that.

Anyway, bike didnt come off as badly as I thought it would have done. The front fairing is scuffed and cracked, the screen has cracked and the tank has a slight dent (which would have been worse had I not had the tank bag on there which took the scuffs). The front RHS hanger broke off and bent the brake lever, though the front brake lever and clutch levers both survived almost without a mark. The RHS scorpion end can has a very slight scuff at the bottom but im 95% sure that when I have a go at it, it will polish out. The clutch cover also has a scuff, though it is really small, much smaller than I had expected it to be. Believe it or not, as I fell off, I remember hitting the ground on my front and sliding along thinking "i bet the clutch cover is fcuked".

So my options are now:
1: fix the bike
2: sell it as is
3: break it and sell bits

Im not sure I have the time or the patience to fix it, but if I did, I would need new fairings, minor fibre glass repairs on the bottom fairing and respray, new RHS hanger and brake pedal, new bar ends, new screen, new light and new front and back indicators.

So - does anyone want to give me an estimate of what they think it will cost to do the repair?

Option 3 - at the moment im leaning toward one of these. The engine, frame, wheels, swingarm, exhaust etc are all fine and im so tempted to stick them all on e-bay. I have made a list in excel and pasted it below with what I think the parts might fetch. Please let me know if you think these prices are way out?
Option 2 - if all else fails, I might just stick it on e-bay as an auction as is for someone else to fix up or break. No idea of price though, so hard to judge something like this. Any thoughts anyone?

• Item Condition Price
    Frame Excellent, obviously has the V5 150
    Subframe Excellent, been stripped and repainted recently 15
    Engine Excellent, 30k miles, manual CCTs fitted, no knocks, rattling or any sort of problems. Revs right up to red line and pulls all the way. Bike was ridden home approx 80 miles and all was ok. Slight scuff on clutch cover. 200
    Downpipes Good, refurbished recently so still shiny 15
    Scorpion End Cans Good, RHS can has a very slight mark/scuff on it right at the base. LHS can is perfect. 100
    Seat cowl Excellent 25
    Seat Excellent 5
    LHS Hanger Excellent 20
    Levers Clutch excellent, brake has a slight scuff 5
    Forks Excellent. Refurbished recently, no pitting/corrosion 50
    Front brake calipers Excellent working order, screw heads slightly rusted 15
    Front brake disks Excellent 15
    Back brake caliper Excellent working order, screw heads slightly rusted 15
    Back brake disk Excellent 15
    Rear shock Slightly pitted from where previous owner had used bike without a hugger 10
    Wheels Excellent, front has a couple of small patches where paint has peeled off 100
    Yolks Excellent 10
    Clocks Excellent 5
    Rentec Rack Slight scuff on RHS at the back. Other than that, all ok 30
    Rear fairing Excellent 15
    Rear light Excellent 5
    Belly pan fairing Slight scuff on RHS and will need minor repairs, either filling or fiberglass before painting 25
    DID chain and sprockets Excellent 20
    Swing arm Excellent 20
    Front LHS indicator Excellent 10
    Rear LHS indicator Excellent 10
    Tank Good, very slight dint, though the tank bag took the scrape so paint is fine 20
    Scottoiler Excellent 20
    Hugger Very good, though yellow paint has cracked a small amount due to heat, will probably need repainting 15

And here are the pictures from just after the crash, with a couple also of the pot holes that got me....

The road and pot holes:

The bike after:
lloydie

Binned it - what now?

Post by lloydie »

Them prices are cheep £200 for the engine put me down for that if you brake it :)
At least your ok . Fucding pot holes mind you that road looks like all the roads round here

Can't ride but it don't stop me trying
Miztaziggy

Re: Binned it - what now?

Post by Miztaziggy »

Does anyone know why potholes are called potholes?

Without looking it up on google...
lloydie

Binned it - what now?

Post by lloydie »

Miztaziggy wrote:Does anyone know why potholes are called potholes?

Without looking it up on google...
Because the. Romans made Roads out of clay and people used to nick it to make bowls and stuff

Can't ride but it don't stop me trying
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

gutted to hear what happened m8, i saw the bike on ebay earlier and i saw the stickers and thought i wonder who owns that?
i'm still not sure if its your bike tho?
i'll have the seat and rear fairing off you mate and what belly pan is it because i'm looking for the type that makes it look fully faired, let me know mate......
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

oops i forgot what mileage have you got showing on the clocks because i might be interested in that aswell mate.......
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Sorry to hear about the spill, and it won't cost you a lot to patch that up, but if you're determined to break it you'll make enough money to buy another sensible one.

Ok, here's what I think you'll get, my guess is the second figure:

Frame Excellent, obviously has the V5 150 (150)
Subframe Excellent, been stripped and repainted recently 15 (25)
Engine Excellent, 30k miles, manual CCTs fitted, no knocks, rattling or any sort of problems. Revs right up to red line and pulls all the way. Bike was ridden home approx 80 miles and all was ok. Slight scuff on clutch cover. 200 (300)
Downpipes Good, refurbished recently so still shiny 15 (15- now sold to tony.mon)
Scorpion End Cans Good, RHS can has a very slight mark/scuff on it right at the base. LHS can is perfect. 100 (maybe, but more likely 60 for the good one, 20 for the damaged one)
Seat cowl Excellent 25 (25)
Seat Excellent 5 (15)
LHS Hanger Excellent 20 ((10)
Levers Clutch excellent, brake has a slight scuff 5 (3 for the clutch, 0 for the brake)
Forks Excellent. Refurbished recently, no pitting/corrosion 50 (100)
Front brake calipers Excellent working order, screw heads slightly rusted 15 (40/pr)
Front brake disks Excellent 15 (25 pr)
Back brake caliper Excellent working order, screw heads slightly rusted 15 (25)
Back brake disk Excellent 15 (5)
Rear shock Slightly pitted from where previous owner had used bike without a hugger 10 (20)
Wheels Excellent, front has a couple of small patches where paint has peeled off 100
Yolks Excellent 10 (15)
Clocks Excellent 5 (40-75 depending on what they say re mileage)
Rentec Rack Slight scuff on RHS at the back. Other than that, all ok 30 (30)
Rear fairing Excellent 15 (25)
Rear light Excellent 5 (5)
Belly pan fairing Slight scuff on RHS and will need minor repairs, either filling or fiberglass before painting 25 (15)
DID chain and sprockets Excellent 20 (maybe20)
Swing arm Excellent 20 (35 to someone adding a brace)
Front LHS indicator Excellent 10 (5)
Rear LHS indicator Excellent 10 (5)
Tank Good, very slight dint, though the tank bag took the scrape so paint is fine 20 (20)
Scottoiler Excellent 20 (if old style 25, if new electronic one, 75)
Hugger Very good, though yellow paint has cracked a small amount due to heat, will probably need repainting 15 (25)

Just my estimates, as ever with these items on here or ebay you'll make more when two or more people are keen on getting the part.
You would make more than you are thinking by splitting the engine; the front head is worth £75 on its own, the rear 50, cct's 35/pr, starter 35, starter reduction gears 20, sprag clutch 20,
but the gearbox, pistons, crank, rods etc will probably not sell. To maximise this sell the short engine; sell the heads separately.

And you've forgotten the carbs- £50, RR, £20, starter cable- £10 and are the tyres any good?

And as you can see I'll give you the asking price for the downpipes, I need a spare set as a pattern to have some titanium ones made up.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Three points here:

1: You are ok which is really good news.
2: There is a high possibility that you will be able to make a legitamate claim against the council due to the condition of the road.
3: If you are going to break the bike up I would be interested in the cans, brackets, & link pipes.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

hahahaha you do make me laugh tony, you say nearly everything is worth more money except for the downpipes, i wonder why.....hahahaha
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Miztaziggy

Binned it - what now?

Post by Miztaziggy »

Thanks for the feedback Tony

If I decide to break, I guess the prices I was thinking of were a little low, so at the prices i guessed, it totalled 960, with your prices its probably about 1200, but I guess I should be looking around a grand for the lot.

What's the chances of someone buying the whole thing on eBay auction to break for that? Or even 75%?

Doesn't an engine come with carbs though? I would have sold it all as one lump.

Clocks say just over 30k by the way.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Mate, don't act in haste. You may live to regret it, let the dust settle (pardon the pun) before you decide what to do. Take care fella and I hope you don't seize up tomorrow.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
balls

Post by balls »

If you do decide to break it can i have 1st dibs at the frame and forkes :thumbup:
balls

Post by balls »

U can see why they painted SLOW on the rd now
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Sorry to hear about the prang, gald you are OK. You can always trust Benny to manage to bodge a bike to get you home............although I hope he asked the Farmer for the bits of fence he stole...........dont take afence :D

Agree with tony that engine is worth more that 200. know pedigree and owner, and if we know why it is being broken out, then it will be worth 300 / 350 without carbs. Scratched clutch cover will drop price a bit, but manual CCT's will make up for that.

the breakers will try and sell them up to 500, but doubt they go for that, and how do you know it wasnt lying upside down with the throttle jammed open revving its tits off till it ran out of oil!
AMcQ
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

Just seen this. Not good mate but glad you're ok. Seems to be a lot of offs lately. It's a right fecker.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!