New owner in Aberdeen

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
ravin beef

New owner in Aberdeen

Post by ravin beef »

Evening chaps and chapesses!

Just bought myself a 1998 Firestorm in red at the end of last week.

My mate only had it for 2 months and decided his heart was in scooters so with it only having one previous owner from new I just had to have it!!

My main ride is a 2005 Aprilia RSVR (boo lol) and will be off the road over the winter to get tarted up so the Firestorm has taken it's place for now! :cool2

I had a 2000 orange one about 8 years ago and loved it, I really had forgotten how comfy and nimble they are!

I mean, I can find neutral and the back brake actually works!!

It was going to be sold after the RSVR is complete but to be honest i'm now going to keep it and restore it to it's full glory!

I went touring in Europe on the RSVR earlier this year and it didn't like the heat! Any issues with the Firestorm in really hot weather? Deffo taking it next year instead of the RSVR.

Anyway, this looks like a cracking site and hopefully make myself at home here.

Steve
simo

Re: New owner in Aberdeen

Post by simo »

Welcome Steve. Check out the Workshop section for weakness. The two things which are recommended ASAP are CCT's and Reg/rectifier,the two things that will let you down.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

re the heat... depends what lowers you fit (if any)
atm i have tight fitting skidmarx lowers on and it does get hot, whereas with the pyramid belly it didnt.
if heat is an issue, try replacing the coolant with 100% glycol or get yourself some of that there engine ice coolant off egay.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Don't know enough yet but the Firestorm oilcooler is tiny. Fitting a larger version should keep oil temperatures lower. Welcome to the site
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Heat can be a problem, they start to misfire due to fuel vaporisation in the carbs.
The SP1 four-row oil cooler mod works well but you will still have trouble in slow or stationary traffic.
Suggest you fit a rad fan over-ride switch, so that you can just flick it on and leave it on in those conditions.

A second (slimmer) rad fan can also be fitted to the LH rad, which doesn't have one as standard. With that one on a manual switch, and the standard one on the temp sensor as normal, you have the best of both worlds.

Gets warm in Aberdeen, then?
:clap:

And hi!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
kevg

Post by kevg »

Welcome aboard Steve, plenty of info on here if you search, lol, lots of people to help out to, i sold on my storm last year and would like another when the funds allow, hating sitting in traffic around Dyce twice a day.

And Tony, its sunny up here again today, that must be three or four days in a row; with the odd shower as well....but not warm, it's never really warm up here....lol.
cheerz

kev
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

benny hedges wrote: atm i have tight fitting skidmarx .
yes was a bit frightening when we came round a tight bend to find 20 walkers on my side of the road, but I managed to keep control of my bowels :) :lol:
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

AMCQ46 wrote:
benny hedges wrote: atm i have tight fitting skidmarx .
yes was a bit frightening when we came round a tight bend to find 20 walkers on my side of the road, but I managed to keep control of my bowels :) :lol:
Fear of crisps?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

come on in, the waters great..
Uriah Heep

Post by Uriah Heep »

Hi from me too, although I haven't yet done my own official introduction...

I work in Dyce (Kirkhill), and the bike turns a 30-40 minute trip home into a 10 minute one. Yay. I'm always on the lookout for other bikers in general, and Storms in particular. Can't miss mine, it's got a Repsol custom paint job (bought it like that) and is loud... Must get some pics up Real Soon Now.