Just gota VTR few newbie questions

General Bike chat
simpleVTR

Just gota VTR few newbie questions

Post by simpleVTR »

Hey Gents

I just got myself a sexy VTR last week, LOVE the bike been eyeing them off for a while, great riding position, love the sound and has some balls :) Theres just a few noobie questions i have, one problem i am having is the choke, it slides back in when i have it fully out, so i have to hold it all the way out while she warms up, is this normal? this happened to a few of the VTR's i test rode, id love to be able to just pull the choke out and start her up without having to hold the damn thing out. Also what tyre pressures are best for her? I plan to take her out over the twisties this weekend so id like to set her up as best i can, and lastely how many K's do you get to a tank? I find myself on the last bar @ 200k, ive read she should get 270Km to a tank, would the last bar of the fuel reader take my 70k? I havnt been giving her much at all and just riding on the highway to work, i was hoping to get 250km but im scared of running out of fuel.

Thanks guys

I
Zakalwe

Re: Just gota VTR few newbie questions

Post by Zakalwe »

Slide the the rubber boot off the end of the choke cable mounting (near the choke knob). There's a knurled plastic ring underneath. turn that to increase the friction on the choke cable....hey presto, no more slipping choke. :thumbup:
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

if you are lucky you will squeeze 250km out of the tank - depends how you ride it.
mine is more economical to run at motorway speeds, mid rpm, rather than lugging it around low rpm in high gears.
you have the later 19L tank on yours so you should be ok..... go for it! :D
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Early 16 L tank 97 model I get 90 miles (144km) general use, dropping to 70 miles (112km) on urban/fast thrashes - as mentioned steady cruising improves mpg significantly so I can get 125 miles (200km) on fast A-roads and motorways.

And tyre pressures = F 36psi, R 42psi. Page 12/377 (1-9) of the Honda Service manual (downloadable PDF in the workshop knowledge base section)

If adjusting the ring on the choke cable won't work because the adjuster mount is broken as happened to one I fixed it's a relative easy job to replace the whole cable with a new one. Though carbs need to be dislodged to detach and reattach the cable - then while you're in that far with access put in a front cylinder vacuum take-off point and a hose for easy carb balancing.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the team...... :thumbup:

if you are in kms you are not UK, so give us some clues where you live.

the choke slipping is answered above, so you should have that fixed by the time you read this

sounds like you have the big tank [19l] if you are talking about "fuel bars", as the digi fuel gauge cme in with the new tank.

if you need to calibrate the safe distance, take a fuel can strapped to the pillion and ride till it runs out, then you know exactly how far you can go after the last bar.

I get 100miles to the red light on my 16l tank, and it will then take about 12l to fill, so if it did hold 16l, it would have a range of 130miles .

one other trick is to fill the tank with the bike fully upright [sit on the bike when you are filling it up] , not on the side stand, then you get more in.........its not a big tank, so you have to get it nice and full.
AMcQ
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

welcome to the club
simpleVTR

Post by simpleVTR »

Hey Blokes

Thanks for the advice, the choke was fixed as soon as i read the email, so much easier now than holding it!

Good to know im getting around the right Kms to a tank :) Im based in Australia, Queensland.

Also im taking a pillion around here n there, damn the bike feels different with the extra weight on the back, is there anything to do to make her a bit more pillion friendly? (adjusting tyre pressures etc) theres no problems once she stretches her legs and she still hugs the corners well, im just finding theres alot of extra strain when breaking and changing gears etc, just not as smooth, and my poor GF is sliding back and frow on the seat lol Ive told her to stick close to me and not to worry about squashing me, and as soon as she did that the bike felt 100% better, im just curious if theres any little suspension tweaks to make her a little more pillion friendly? between us i much prefer her solo.

Still love the growl and when she wants to move, thats when the real fun starts :))

Oh and is there anywhere i can get some VTR Stickers to put on front fairing, has anyone here done a bulk buy or know of a place where i can grab some?

Cheers