Struggles to turn over and start

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

Struggles to turn over and start, almost as though battery is dead (dealer says its new and my charger says its strong).
Any ideas? The lead going to the starter looks corroded, could that be it?
Wicky

Re: Struggles to turn over and start

Post by Wicky »

"The lead going to the starter looks corroded," it's a start, then if water has gotten into the motor past the seals on the bolt under the rubber hood... looking a new starter motor/ refurbishment. Keep the connector under the hood vaselined to keep the corrosion at bay as it takes the brunt of all the road crud esp if used all year round. Try (carefully!) shorting the starter relay to see if the problem does lay further down from the battery.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

Just checked it properly, post is rotten, lead isn't secure on it. Back to the dealer tomorrow then :evil:
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

An m6 steel bolt cures that.

Sent from my brain using my hands with that Tapatalk thingemybob.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

So the post will screw out then?
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

Take the end of the starter motor off (the end with the bolts), take the brushes out, slide the body up a little and the whole assembly that the bolt goes through pops out. Take a plain steel (not stainless) bolt and grind the head to the same (ish) thickness as the old one so that it sits flush in the mount, then reassemble. Dead easy, about 20 minutes work. I had to do it to the starter motor I got off Tony cos I stripped the thread on the original. Make sure that the insulating washers go back on too or you are gonna create a rather hot piece of slag metal :)
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

Did it last night, didn't see your post until after so haven't ground the head down, but it wasn't touching anything and it started no bother this morning :thumbup:
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

Happy days :D :thumbup:
darrenbiker

Post by darrenbiker »

Having the same issue
babysitter

Post by babysitter »

Had the same on mine changed battery, reg (yam Ri) unit and starter motor still the same go to the bike starts first time, Run to the pumps fill up again hit the starter button sounds as battery flat get to work press the stater button all ok found it was the intermediate gear (76T/20T) 28100-MBB-000 fitted s/h gear now starts first time every time :thumbup:

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_d ... &fveh=4077
Harley Davidson Roadking 1690 / Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster
54 Honda Varadero XL1000 / Honda Firestorm Red,/ BSA B40WD Trials,
/Audi TT 225 / Foard Transit T300/ VW Touareg