Brakes again - Bleeder valve leaks?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jono

Brakes again - Bleeder valve leaks?

Post by jono »

Hello all,
I'm getting the spongy feeling in the front brakes that everybody complains about. Put in EBC green pads, and Galfer steel lines. Brakes are good for about a day, but then go spongy, and I am able to get some air bubbles when I bleed them.

Has anybody heard of the bleeder valve going bad? I'm thinking this because I gave the full caliper assembly a good cleaning and then rode it for a brake check - intending to look for a tiny leak. I had a little brake fluid on the bleeder valve, as I suspected I might, when I was done. Seems wierd that something like that would go bad....

Anybody heard of that?
Jasong70

hm

Post by Jasong70 »

Two things will help.

Put some plumber's teflon tape on the bleeder and give it a good final bleed. Then tie the lever against the bar tightly. I use a zip tie(as we call it in canada)

Keep the lever pulled in overnight. This will firm up your brakes.
jono

finer points of teflon tape

Post by jono »

Hi again - sent a note to your mailbox BTW.

So when you say to zip the lever down, do you mean with the bleeder valves open (so any trapped air can work its way out) or with the valves closed, and everything buttoned up?
Jasong70

hm

Post by Jasong70 »

with everything closed up

make sure you have sufficient fluid in the master because it will be replace the air in the line with fluid.
Max

Post by Max »

The best way I have found to remove the air from my front brakes is to get hold of a 50ml syringe and some pipe that fits tight on the bleed nipple and to suck the fluid through from the master cylinder. If you use clear pipe you can see all the air coming out.