Electrics n oil!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Animal

Electrics n oil!

Post by Animal »

Just been out to scrub in Buddy's 28th rear tyre. Had been zipping along at a fair old pace, glanced down at the clocks to notice everything out. The whole lot dead, no speedo, temp, revs, odo.
Don't know why but my first instinct was to switch the lights off, did that and hey presto everything back on, turn indicators on, clocks on clocks off clocks on clocks off.
Horn did not work, but when ever I pressed it the clocks would die, came home with the lights off. Just been out to have a rummage in the wiring, start him up and everything works like there was never an issue. This sort of electrical fault is a nightmare. No idea what to check other than the whole loom which may have a short in it somewhere.
Has anybody else suffered this? if so perhaps you could help with where to start looking. Is there a common area where the loom might chafe?

Second thing, he seems to have sprung a leak from the clutch cover gasket, easy fix as I have a spare gasket.

Cheers for any advise.

Mike
Miztaziggy

Electrics n oil!

Post by Miztaziggy »

Have you checked the RR?
Leachy

Re: Electrics n oil!

Post by Leachy »

Battery, 2nd one on here today,same syptoms,check out "have i been a lucky boy?" thread. :thumbup:
Absolutely Sodding Bloody typical!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Check the + – connections on the battery as they can vibrate loose - If you have a pre '01 Storm is it an original unfinned R/R?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Welcome to the club! Mine was slightly different, when I braked the clocks sort of came back, indicators did weird things and the horn barely worked. As I got home the headlamp was flickering but not the clock lights..... Through all this the temp gauge was fine!

I hate vehicle electrics :sick:
darkember

Post by darkember »

Check your main earth is clean & tight
Animal

Post by Animal »

Cheers for the replies thus far.
R/R was changed 3 years ago so I don't think it will be that, I will check to make sure the correct voltage is reaching the battery just to be on the safe side.
Battery changed 2 years ago, I normally get at least 4/5 years out of batteries and they tend to go in the colder months. But I will definitely check the terminals for tightness.
I hate electrics, sometimes it does not seem to follow logic.

Thanks