Suspension Settings

General Bike chat
phattire

Suspension Settings

Post by phattire »

Advice on suspension settings!!!

Whats the best set up for fast road use - I don't want to start fiddling around and start upsetting things, so what do you guys recommend?

Everything's set as standard at the moment - I just want to improve the standard bike's handling without spending any dosh.

Cheers

Phats
:?: :roll: :?:
If it's yellow you should see a doctor!!!!
DD

Post by DD »

1st we need to know, series 1 or 2? (pre or post 01?) If you are the later then I have set mine up quite well I think, considering I came of a Guzzi 1100i sport with W/P suspension (bloody bute) it was.

There are a few here that will say "na replace it" But for general riding I dont think you need to spend the money. So I will find the info if ya want.
cheers Darryl
phattire

Post by phattire »

Thanks Darryl,

Its a 2003 (F2 model) - only had it a week, as far as i'm aware its all on standard settings - feels a bit soggy all round for fast twisty A and B roads so i'm not pushing it at the moment!!

Any advice on the settings would be appreciated.

Cheers

Greg (Phats!!)
DD

Post by DD »

Re set all to std settings (check owners manual, if you dont have one i'll dig mine out and post it)

Frount preload showing 2 rings, rebound 1 1/4 turn out (H)

Rear preload 2, rebound 1 1/2 turns out (H)

I have since made the odd 1/4 turn eather way to get it right. The thing I found is that it was very jarie. Every one rides different so we all set up different but this is a starting point.

Remember that you want the fastest possible return under control and damping should not bounce past were it settels before settling again.

Let us know how it turns out.
cheers Darryl
vtrlewy

Post by vtrlewy »

Really it all depends on your weight. Best to set sag at 30mm-35mm front and 25-30 rear with rider and all gear. The best bang for buck mod on the vtr would be stiffer front springs if you weigh much more than 65kgs the front springs are out of their range. But as a starting point 4 lines on forks is about the best setting I found with standard springs. On the rear shock 1 click off softest setting is about right once again depending on your weight. (the rear shock is a bit harsh standard and front is soft standard).
Also another cheap mod is a 5mm spacer (can just use 1mm thick washers in a stack) under top rear shock mount has the same affect as lowering front fork tubes without comprimising ground clearance. It does raise the seat height of bike about 25mm so if you are vertically challenged you may be ballet dancing on your toes. Not a problem for me I'm 6'3'' and 85 kgs. Hope this helps. Greg Nemishs site has a great suspension setup guide http://webpages.charter.net/gnemish/index.html
VTR Lewy
phattire

Post by phattire »

Cheers guys,

So far tonight I set the rear shock to 3 (It was on 2) and the little screw below in the middle (Counted how many turns from s to h and set it in the middle), then rode it on my favourite twisty road - a vast improvement, the bike turns a little more positivley and doesn't wallow so much.

Tomorrow i'll have a go at the front and let you know.

Thanks

Greg (Phats)

:D :D
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

That website is brilliant! I particularly like the "bafflectomy". Thanks for showing us it. :lol:

Jaglifter
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
hawkrider0

Post by hawkrider0 »

Why thank you, gentlemen. I'm all giddy inside now. :oops: :D

It's my first time posting on this forum. If you haven't been to the site lately, you probably don't know that I bought the new Blade. Amazing machine, I'll tell ya'. The RC51 was a great bike. Combine all the handling qualities of the RC with beastly power, toss-out-the-anchor brakes, and typical Honda refinement and they've got themselves another winner.

As for the Storm, I'm waiting for an influx of $$ so I can get the bike painted this fall. It's going to be orange and black, not sure of the specific scheme yet. It's all up to the wife since it's "her" bike now.

I still take it to track days as the power is more manageable than the other bike. As a matter of fact, I'm doing a track day at VIR this weekend. I hope to have lots of fun. :)

You guys take care. It's been fun stopping by.

Regards,
vtrlewy

Post by vtrlewy »

I still take it to track days as the power is more manageable than the other bike. As a matter of fact, I'm doing a track day at VIR this weekend. I hope to have lots of fun. :)

Greg hows that blade going. I lurk / browse all the VTR lists when you purchased your RR I posted this reply on Superhawk list but for some reason it was rejected.

Greg,

Your lucky that Geo doesn't reside here any more (I'm sure he would not let you get away with a IL4 so lightly). Congrats on the new bike. In Australia the 1000RR is available later this month ( For around $19,000 AUS compared to a VTR at $15,300) . They had a 1000RR cut away at the Phillip Island GP last year. It has a great deal of technology an HP (And you have gotto love that underseat exhaust.) Value for money they appear better value than a new VTR ( But do they have soul). Do you intend to use the RR as your track bike or the old trusty noisy V twin. Keep us posted on your thoughts as you get to know the RR better. In Australia they held the 1st round of our superbike class last weekend and the RR won on debut in previous years the GSXR and R1's had dominated this class with the factory sponsored blades struggled to beat the privateers on the R1's & GSXR's. The bikes arrived late from Honda and reportedly only had a Jardine Slip on, SS Goodridge brake lines and they replaced the electronic steering damper with a conventional setup. The race report said that the RR's were the best sorted chassis wise and although not the most powerful the riders were able to extract every Honda pony. Haven't posted for a while but have been continually lurking. The milestone of the Purchase of an IL4 by such a devoted & informed V twin owner motivated me.

Betcha you have a slip on before summer hits.

VTRLewy

(Yes I still have my noisy V twin VTR)
VTR Lewy