vfr bars

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
FENNER

vfr bars

Post by FENNER »

morning all

Can any one tell me how much difference adding vfr bars make to riding position ? I find that my wrists ache if I'm doing a lot of slow or stop start riding so wondered if these would help. I don't really want the expense of fitting risers ect at the moment and s/h bars are the cheap option. Also will any vfr750 bars fit straight on ?

Cheers Tony
Sandyback

Re: vfr bars

Post by Sandyback »

I have recently bought some VFR bars for £25 off ebay.

Not fitted yet but I have placed one on the forks for comparison - see photo. Looks pretty promising to me, what do you reckon?

[img][IMG]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9726/dsc09237n.jpg[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

There are a lot of posts on this - however, I have fitted them to mine. You will have to trim the fairing bit, but not much and TBH you'd never know. You also have to drill locating holes for the throttle, adapt the bar ends and I had to wiggle the horn round a bit so the wire wasn't stretched. Everything else left as is.

You don't immediately notice the difference, except perhaps a bit more windblast (depending on your height I suppose) but on long trips, much improved and less strain which I never got on my wrists but rather between my shoulder blades. Bit more leverage for countersteering too.

I wish I had done this years ago but I was hesitant at taking the dremel to the fairing, but it isn't as bad as it sounds. Have some pictures somewhere which I'll search out.

Do it. :D
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Stratman wrote: You don't immediately notice the difference,:D
er, i did! found the bike much easier to chuck around.... so much so that a week later i launched it off a cliff lol :oops:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

Stratman wrote:
I wish I had done this years ago but I was hesitant at taking the dremel to the fairing, but it isn't as bad as it sounds. Have some pictures somewhere which I'll search out.

Yes please, especially if they show what bit needs dremmelling
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Sandyback wrote:
Stratman wrote:

Yes please, especially if they show what bit needs dremmelling

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 85#p181185
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

Thanks Benny
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

Best thing i've ever done to it :thumbup: so much better all round, dont worry about cutting the fairing,take your time do a good job, you wont regret it
FENNER

Post by FENNER »

Thanks for the link to your previous thread benny hedges, I should have searched it out myself really :oops: I'm a bit worried about the dremel part of the proceedings ! I may have a word with the guy in the next unit along from mine as he breaks air cooled Suzuki's so I could probably cadge a pair of master cylinders and fit them so that I don't have to start carving my baby up !

Cheers Tony
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

I'm also a bit nervous about cutting the fairing.........presume it is mandatory if you fit VFR bars (other than master cylinders)?

Don't really want the cost and hassle of a respray - are the fairings white under the paint, or moulded roughly in the colour they are sprayed in? Mine is a black one.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Plastic is black abs
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

Wicky wrote:Plastic is black abs
Thanks for that, makes me a bit more comfortable about cutting the fairing - may get away with touch up spray maybe.

For those who have done this, what is the best tool to use....Dremel, Junior Hacksaw or what?

Thanks
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

cover the edge of the fairing in masking tape to avoid a scuff, then sketch the line in pencil...
use the big 30mm cut-off discs in your generic rotary hobby tool....
the ones with the criss cross pattern on are best imo as they dont disintegrate and stick in your face.

is worth covering the tank with a towel just in case a disc does break.... dont want any scratches do we ;)

might want to get some coarse sandpaper to smooth the inside edge of the cut after surgery.