Ebay Finds (unusal/cheap/rare/or just good value)

Moderator: VTRDark

TaxiDriver

Re: Ebay Finds (unusal/cheap/rare/or just good value)

Post by TaxiDriver »

Mind you, you'd always have the rear brake if something went wrong.............. :whatever . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by TaxiDriver on Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:04 pm I know what you mean Mac, it's just that with bike named manufactures such as the big four, we assume (rightly or wrongly) the products they use are built to a certain standard, a quality that is acceptable by the bike manufactures.

Looking at the photo's in that link, the bracket used to support the brake/clutch reservoir looks like an after thought by using one of the clamp fixing bolts as an anchor, that alone doesn't inspire me with confidence :eh:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184220514348

Chris.
Perhaps, Chris, but with those clamps one bolt is always fully tightened; it's the second bolt that then does the clamping.
If the bracket is on the fully tightened one it's no different mechanically to putting a washer under the head of a bolt. As long as the length of the bolt takes the additional spacer into account, that is.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:05 am
sirch345 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:04 pm I know what you mean Mac, it's just that with bike named manufactures such as the big four, we assume (rightly or wrongly) the products they use are built to a certain standard, a quality that is acceptable by the bike manufactures.

Looking at the photo's in that link, the bracket used to support the brake/clutch reservoir looks like an afterthought by using one of the clamp fixing bolts as an anchor, that alone doesn't inspire me with confidence :eh:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184220514348

Chris.
Perhaps, Chris, but with those clamps one bolt is always fully tightened; it's the second bolt that then does the clamping.
If the bracket is on the fully tightened one it's no different mechanically to putting a washer under the head of a bolt. As long as the length of the bolt takes the additional spacer into account, that is.
Tony, I wasn't intending to sound like I was knocking the function of the reservoir bracket, I'm sure it does the job okay, to me it looks like a last minute afterthought, as in a rushed job just to get it finished,

Chris.
bertye

Post by bertye »

Wavy rear disc, new £12.49 Would get one for mine if I did not have one already.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373819161052 ... SwDCtdFau8
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

bertye wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:26 pm Wavy rear disc, new £12.49 Would get one for mine if I did not have one already.

I bought a rear disc of ebay,I'm not saying it was like this but it was super thin and useless.
I think they know you won't waste time returning it and so continue to rake in the funds..........nasty.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

TaxiDriver wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:38 am
bertye wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:26 pm Wavy rear disc, new £12.49 Would get one for mine if I did not have one already.

I bought a rear disc of ebay,I'm not saying it was like this but it was super thin and useless.
I think they know you won't waste time returning it and so continue to rake in the funds..........nasty.
Just check that the slots in the disc don't go too near the edge, they'll crack at that point if they are.
Compare a well known make with some of the cheapy ones to see what I mean.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
neil

Post by neil »

When I was checking my vtr over after it had been off road for 6 years this crack was there on one of the standard front discs. Don't know how long it had been there but shows it's best to check
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redvtr
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

neil wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:07 pm When I was checking my vtr over after it had been off road for 6 years this crack was there on one of the standard front discs. Don't know how long it had been there but shows it's best to check
Well spotted, like you say well worth checking these things.
That's the first time I have seen a crack like that in a standard disc.

Out of interest was the disc still within spec's for minimum thickness I wonder :?:

I wonder if it could have been caused by a Disc Lock, but didn't appear so visible right away :?:
You know what happens, they forget the Disc Lock is still fitted and try to ride away :crazy:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

neil wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:07 pm When I was checking my vtr over after it had been off road for 6 years this crack was there on one of the standard front discs. Don't know how long it had been there but shows it's best to check

iv bent a few sets of vtr discs but never seen one crack like that, lucky escape :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
neil

Post by neil »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:02 pm

Out of interest was the disc still within spec's for minimum thickness I wonder :?:

I wonder if it could have been caused by a Disc Lock, but didn't appear so visible right away :?:
You know what happens, they forget the Disc Lock is still fitted and try to ride away :crazy:

Chris.
Just been in shed this afternoon, checked thickness of disc minimun was 4.0mm so still above 3.5mm stamped on disc. I've never had a disc brake stoppie while I've had the bike (yet).
redvtr
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

neil wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:02 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:02 pm

Chris.
Just been in shed this afternoon, checked thickness of disc minimun was 4.0mm so still above 3.5mm stamped on disc. I've never had a disc brake stoppie while I've had the bike (yet).
interesting, thanks for getting back to us. It couldn't have been anything to do with the thickness then :crazy:
I can't think what else could have caused that,

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Who was it that wanted a bigger tank :?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203864383727 ... Swx5FiK3ue

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:06 pm Who was it that wanted a bigger tank :?:

Chris.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:sick:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
mjvw

Post by mjvw »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:06 pm Who was it that wanted a bigger tank :?:

Chris.
What a find bet it looks great colour matched and fitted :crazy: 8O "NOT"
Could be fitted for a track day or touring I suppose.
Storming About :thumbup:
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.