Pipes and forks

General Bike chat
rivergypsy

Pipes and forks

Post by rivergypsy »

i need some advice from other storm riders, relating to pipes. I want to fit a set to my storm that sound about as horny as possible in road legal form so any advice or recommendations would be welcome.
The other point relates to the standard fork issue. I read a lot of stuff suggesting that the forks on the storm are pretty naff, yet personally I find them well able for most situations I encounter out there on the roads (i`ve pushed it to the edge with the best of them, and the odd inch further at times during twenty five years of two wheeled mayhem... so I`m not talking about pottering around the back lanes here). If you`ve put in the time and learned the craft, then you`ll get the best out of what the storm comes with and get it on irrespective....if not then you`ve learned nothing along the way so the forks won`t make a jot of difference to your riding skills either way.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

well mate, the forks are fiddler, period.

If you find them ok then (even with your 25 years of riding) you ain't riding hard enough or tried a bike with a good front end. Normal riding then they are ok but if you leave the braking to the last minute when the backend goes all snakey as you down shift then you will find the limits of the standard forks. You will also find out how bad they are if you have to change you line mid corner. If your running a standard rear shock then as soon as the forks have been ROGERED then you will notice the shite rear end. So get ya forks to roger at revolution uk for a work over and dash out and buy a penske rear too.

I've ridden cor probably 50 plus VTR's and there is a massive different between an OE sprung one and one that's had some money chucked at it.

Del. (please don't take it the wrong way but you asked a question then told us how good your forks feel as they are cos you ride like VR)
Squirrel

Forks

Post by Squirrel »

I have to agree with rivergypsy on this one. I have heard that the earlier bikes were bad but that this was addressed in a later upgrade. Mine is a 2003 model and I find it the best handling bike I have ridden on the road. Track is a different issue but still pretty good.

We have some very good (fast and twisty) country roads out here in Oz and I do track days at Phillip Island 4 or 5 times a year. Bikes I have ridden most on the road and track in the last 10 years are: VFR750; VFR800; Blackbird; CBR600F4; VTR1000F3. Admitted, not the sharpest tools available but I ride the latest Fireblades regularly at the track days, so I have some point of reference with a top handling bike. Rode the latest blade at PI 2 weeks ago. The Fireblade is better than the VTR but, as I said, I find the VTR excellent on the road. I'm not saying it can't be improved, by throwing a bit of money at it but I wouldn't say it is essential.
Regards, Squirrel.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The OEM suspension on the Storm is crap, period. Once you've ridden with and without upgrades, you'll be able to best judge the difference.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I'd be interested in more detail about what specifically you consider wrong with the Storm forks. Just describe the behaviour, if you're not sure which aspect of the suspension is causing it. I know the earlier model had very soft springs but of course, springs will never be the optimum rate for all weights of rider. So, if you're outside the weight range for the standard spring, just changing the springs will make a huge difference. Then that just leaves the damping and, if you needed to change the spring, you'll most likely need to modify the damping. If you reply to the above it would also be interesting to note your weight.

Also, do you believe there is a difference between the original model (1998) and later models. I have ridden both in Australia and there is a definite difference here - firmer springs and plusher damping (not top notch but pretty good for the money). There could be a difference here with North American models, as I believe they didn't get the upgrades, at least not the larger fuel tank. Perhaps they also missed out on suspension mods.
Regards, Squirrel.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Whats wrong with the storm forks?

They dive under heavy braking, are waaaaaaaay too soft and there's a problem with the way the hydraulic fluid passes through(can't pass fast enough, causing a kind of lock up).

I got NDM performance parts to re-spring mine with Ohlins internals and they now kick botty!

Gonna have a look at a rear shock soon. Will a blade rear shock fit?
Peter Brennan.
MDJ

1998 model

Post by MDJ »

I have a 1998 uk model. Forks were crap. I only weigh 60 Kg yet every time I brok more than gently the forks bottomed out and locked out until the brake was released causing the whewl to skip and skreech. At speed the fronts inabilaty to remain conrolled and active made the steering unstable and only a bump away from wagging the bars. Yes you can still go fast but your fighting the bike all the time.

I'e had the forks re worked and did check that they had the correct level of oil in the forks, it was even still in good condition. Thus leading me to believe the original set up was way to soft and essentially crap even for little ol 60 Kg me. No you prob don't need to have the suspension upgraded but then we probably don't need 100+bhp do we......

Now with Ohlins springs and f/r set up it is VASTLY better. The shock is indeed crap, speaking of which...
Del, any closer to deciding whether you'll sell me that shock????
I got knocked down, but i'll get up again and you'll never ever keep me down!
Pete

Post by Pete »

but then we probably don't need 100+bhp do we......
Yes.... yes we do. :D
Peter Brennan.
vtrlewy

Post by vtrlewy »

I have a 2001 model which had slightly modified dampening compared to the earlier models according to Honda marketing blurb. As far as I know the springs did not change.
Have to agree with del here if your brake heavilly you will feel the springs bottom out quite easily. I think the first mod I did to my bike was change the fork springs. It made a huge difference to the front end felt solid and instilled confidence. For about $100 Aus probably the best value mod you can make to the VTR
VTR Lewy
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I weigh 190lbs and like to ride fairly agressively, and I found the front end would get out of shape very easily, especially powering out of corners, way too springy. Once I'd sorted the front with a Race Tech kit, I found the back wasn't keeping up either, so I swapped in a Bitubo unit, which is a huge improvement. After dialling everything in, it is like a different bike, one that actually handles.
steve trow

Post by steve trow »

river gypsy,
Cans ?
Ive tried remus grand prix oval race cans and they performed well but were a tad loud at low rpm (3-4000) sounded very nice but hard to keep quiet in built up areas and not road legal.
Bike performed well though and made about 109 bhp at the back wheel.
I got bored with the look and bought a pair of high level MIG cans, they look superb and are as close to underseat style as you can get ( similar to the staines tune ones photo'd on this site). The migs are very quiet at low rpm but give a healthy burble higher up the rev range. They have baffles fitted and give the appearance of being road legal but arent bs marked (officially !). The only downside i found is they make the bike feel a little buzzy, this may be due to them being fitted only to the rear foot hangers and rear indicator pick ups. ( they dont have a mounting lug for the lower main footrest pick up bolt). The bike seems to vibrate through the seat now but its worth it for the neat looks and admiring glances. ( thats a rarity with my mates as most hate the storm) 8O
Forks?
Mine are standard, i like to ride fast but try to be smooth with it and set the bike up for each corner and dont just plough through it and brake last minute with my fingers crossed, that way the need for last minute slamming on the anchors doesnt normally come in to it. If you ride smoothly and dont ride aggressive the standard set up should be fine for everyday use. Suppose it all depends on what you expect from the bike. Ive found it one of the easiest bikes ive ever had to ride quickly through the twisties and rarely have to use the brakes if I get everything right. a mate of mine rides his r6 very hard and i giggle at the amount of times i see the brake lights flutterring and his left foot shuffling through the box....on the storm its so simple and easy.
By the way im 15st and 6ft 4" and cant say ive ever felt the front end bottom out....The suspension settings are as per the article in performance bikes and seem to work fine for me. :wink:
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

It does seem like the standard springs are too soft for most people. However, I have left everything standard (preload etc) on my 2003 model and the fronk forks have never bottomed out, even under regular maximum braking into Honda Hairpin (turn 4) at Phillip Island - they come pretty close though. I have a cable tie around one of the fork stanchions, so I know what travel is being used.

Every time I get a new bike, I carefully measure the static and rider sag at both ends and tweak if necessary. I found the Storm to be near enough perfect on standard settings, according to all the articles from suspension gurus. And it is using the middle two thirds of travel on the forks in 'normal' riding. So, I am quite happy with my Storm, as is.

The 2 Blackbirds I had before were a different story. I found they had soft front ends and were low at the back, even though they have a fairly stiff spring on the shock. I left the standard springs in and just upped the preload at both ends (with spacers under the fork caps) and dropped the yokes about 10mm down the forks. It transformed the handling.

I weigh around 75kg.
Regards, Squirrel.
steve trow

Post by steve trow »

Squirrel,
get yourself some proper food in yer and pile the pounds on then youl bottom it out ! :lol:
Proudest Monkey

Post by Proudest Monkey »

Squirrel, do I assume that you bought your VTR at Peter Stevens... perhaps Peter Stevens send their bikes out with better settings than what is Honda reccommended. I say this cause although only weighing 55Kg, i too have never bottomed out my folks. That said, I have never tried... I don't do endo's, i don't do wheelies for fear of cracking the frame and thus the only "Hard treatment" the front folks have seen is heading into corners fast.

Just my $0.02 worth.
She's Matte black and FULL-O-BEAUTY
and now sounding sweeter than ever with the new High Rise StainTunes :D

http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/displa ... StainTunes
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Hi there Monkey

Got mine from Mornington Honda but they don't do anything special with them. Settings are all as in the handbook.

Tried uploading a picture (twice) of me at Phillip Island but it is only Black and White for some reason.

Regarding the forks, being a heavyweight will obviously make a difference but I think riding style plays a big part. eg, transferring as little weight as possible through the arms (especially braking) and keeping all transitions as smooth as possible.
Regards, Squirrel.