vtr front end

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Tarmac Tyrant

vtr front end

Post by Tarmac Tyrant »

Hi all,this has probably been asked 1000 times...well now its 1001;)

just wondering what my options are? i have a 99 model thats frontendless.....and is destined for the track....big evil laugh...
going from what i read here a fireblade front end will fit? any specific models?

is it a straight swap? ish?

thoughts?
my names not on the guset list?.......i often go by my maiden name..nothing to be embarrassed about.....
rob...

Re: vtr front end

Post by rob... »

pretty much any front end, just swap the stems.....

i've used R1 usd front ends, both 'normal' and radial.
When subjected to an electrical voltage of at least 50 volts, a cat's tail always points toward the north.
Tarmac Tyrant

Post by Tarmac Tyrant »

thats what i forgot to ask....the same guy who gave me the bike has a 98 r1 set of forks,did you use the stock honda yolks? and how did you find the handling?
my names not on the guset list?.......i often go by my maiden name..nothing to be embarrassed about.....
rob...

Post by rob... »

Tarmac Tyrant wrote:thats what i forgot to ask....the same guy who gave me the bike has a 98 r1 set of forks,did you use the stock honda yolks? and how did you find the handling?
no, the honda forks are 41mm, (IIRC), the R1 usd's are 50(top) 54(bottom). you need to put the 'storm stem into the R1 yokes, any good engineering shop should do this for you for about £30. the easiest way is to use the complete R1 front end, wheel, discs, calipers etc. it's all loads better than 'storm stuff anyway. you'll also need low rises and srtraight bars, as the R1 clip ons are below, not above the top yoke. a good nick R1 set of forks, yokes and spindle should go for about £250 - £300. you're asking the wrong person about handling, i usually ride chops... i thought it was better tho.
When subjected to an electrical voltage of at least 50 volts, a cat's tail always points toward the north.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i used a cbr954/929 blade front end as have a few other members (seb/kev) similar to the r1 in the way you can put the entire front end on but the difference being you don't need to do a stem swap, the 929/954 yokes fit perfectly and you can use the blade clip-ons aswell, i think kev moved his rads back a bit for clearance reasons but i haven't noticed any problems, although the set up isn't radial it transforms the bikes handling, i would suggest a fork rebuild at the same time, springs and oil to suit your weight and track usage, a entire front end (yokes/forks/wheel/brakes/tyre) sold on ebay the other day for £500 plus another £100 for the fork rebuild, so it ain't cheap but the difference in handling is superb.
goodluck fella :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Here a photo (below) of Alan's wonderful creation.
He hasn't been on here for a long time, but here's a list of the front end parts he used:-

Spondon clipons
Fireblade 929 front wheel
Fireblade 929 forks
Fireblade 929 front mudguard
Fireblade 929 front rotors
Fireblade 929 yokes
Fireblade 929 front calipers

Chris.
Tarmac Tyrant

Post by Tarmac Tyrant »

excellent,thanks for gettin back to me fellas;) ive got me some searching to do now,ive found a 1000rr front end near me,but the 954 sounds good too
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Started looking into making this swap as well.....929 / 954 parts.

2 questions for lloydie, kev, marty and seb.

1) Will I need the front wheel or with it work with the firestorm wheel but with the discs and spacers off the blade, or do I need the blade wheel as well?
2) clip ons, see mixed messages on whether the blade parts work, Seb says its ok, but Kev and Marty have had to find other solutions, and lloydie has superbike bars, but I don't want to go that direction.

Oh, and will all yrs work as long as they are either 929 or 954 spec?
AMcQ
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Al, I have used a complete 954 front end (with K-Tech internals), forks, wheel, disc, calipers et al. As far as I know the Blade wheel needs to be used. The yokes fit straight on using the existing bearings and fastners with no problems. You do need to grind down the inside edge of both lock stops to avoid the fairing stay but judicious use a dremel, wet & dry and silver spray soon sort that. The Horn bracket needs a bit of fiddling to avoid the fairing, but they are the same item on both bikes, just mounted in differing positions. I shortened the mounting bracket slightly and bent a little.
The handlebars are an issue if you want the throttle cables mounted as standard. On right lock the cables and mounts foul the fairing top, you can do what Seb has done and twist the cable around through 90 degrees or more to avoid this point of impact however the standard 954 bars also bring the clutch MC bolt to clutch line into contact with the dials. I have got a pair of 50mm bars with a 3.5" lift on them coming from the states. The measurement from the top of the vtr top yoke to the centre of the handlebars is about 50mmm, to compensate for the gull wing yoke the 3.5" bars seem to offer the best compromise to line up the 954 with the vtr bar height. I am getting mine from SV race parts in the states and they are £141 including shipping and insurance. They are "very good friends" of mine and have marked up the package as a gift, so I will have to wait and see whether I get hit with import duty.
I have yet to mount the calipers to the bike so await to see whether the 954 braided lines I have will fit or whether I need to buy something a little longer. If you want any more info or to discuss it pm me and I will buzz my mobile over.
:beer:
I am sure you have seen this over on the superhawk forum but I will copy the link here for you fella -
http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/mo ... ide-23751/
Last edited by Kev L on Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
lloydie

vtr front end

Post by lloydie »

As he said use all the same parts from a front end don't mix and match .
Try and get a radial front end as you know you want to :)
But if you use a cbr900rr 94-97 you keep your wheel and discs
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

hi al
can't add much more than alreadys been said. as far as i know you will need a 929/954 front wheel, i was going to use a early six spoke front wheel but it wouldn't fit and as its the same dimensions as a storm wheel i can only assume it wont fit either, i might be selling my 929 spare front wheel, its primed ready to spray, but i've never even checked it on a spindle to see if its ok......ooops i'll have to get it checked, i was just going to keep it black and put some super sticky tyres on it, but i'm prone to changing my mind :lol:
i didn't feel the need to make as many adustments as kev, rads haven't moved and nothings been ground off, it just means i've not good as good a turning circle as kev's, i can live with that tho, biggest problem is the clip-ons, i'm waiting to see how kev gets on with his ones.....
by the way i'm told the blade calipers and m/c are a great improvement over the storms, i myself am using 330mm discs(954) nissin 98 cbr rrw calipers and a triumph radial m/c, only the discs are fitted at the mo so lots still to do, give us a shout if your interested in that wheel, you will get first dibs buddy :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
seb421

Post by seb421 »

AMCQ46 wrote:Started looking into making this swap as well.....929 / 954 parts.

2 questions for lloydie, kev, marty and seb.

1) Will I need the front wheel or with it work with the firestorm wheel but with the discs and spacers off the blade, or do I need the blade wheel as well?
2) clip ons, see mixed messages on whether the blade parts work, Seb says its ok, but Kev and Marty have had to find other solutions, and lloydie has superbike bars, but I don't want to go that direction.

Oh, and will all yrs work as long as they are either 929 or 954 spec?

RE 929 / 954 im told the 954 wheel is lighter than the 929's the look very similar but the 954, also is i remember correctly the 929 has 320 mm discs and the 954 the largest of them all at 330 mm

For me i didn't have to move the rads or anything, it looks like they touch and are stopped by the Rads, but if you inspect carefully you will see it just touches the rubber coolant hoses and is actually stopped by the stoppers on the yokes,

Also for me I've not had any issues with the bars/ clipons , if you rotate the throttle around a little it stops the two wires on the bottom fouling the fairing (will make a video possibly later today showing how mine is mounted and left to right with no fouling)

Front wheel i think has the be the relevant 929 / 954 (think the SP1 and 2 work also cant remember as it was ages ago when i looked into it)

I read the storm callipers can be made to work but i just got some 954 ones off ebay from the states sent over for straight over swap

just so you know when you buy discs the 929 has a black centre rotor and the 954 centre is gold, alot of items are listed incorrectly on ebay often being passed off as the 954 items when they are from a 929

Sorry i cant be of more help
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
mad4it028

Post by mad4it028 »

£400 collected its yours its off a cbr600rr5
bikes bought dead or alive crash damged , none runners , abandond projects
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

mad4it028 wrote:£400 collected its yours its off a cbr600rr5
if that was a complete front end then yes £400 but as its missing a few bits £300 :thumbup:
but how long are they ?
mad4it028

Post by mad4it028 »

there the cheapest on ebay at £550 offered to forum for 400 i have the mud guard with some damage that can go with it also have the clip ons that can go with it, there 700mm from top of yoke to center of the spindle firestorm is 750mm
bikes bought dead or alive crash damged , none runners , abandond projects