water leak??? locked brakes, and more is my bike takin the p

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
hammie

water leak??? locked brakes, and more is my bike takin the p

Post by hammie »

Well, it goes on,
cheap buckled newly powder coated wheel now in bin, original chipped wheel now powder coated [crap coating job this time], and fitted, rest of bike put back together, and thinking all is now sorted, will give her a quick run down the road just to check all is ok.
first problem, i obviously put the gear lever linkage on back to front or upside down, as shes now 1 up and 5 down , so im sure that will be an easy fix, after about a mile and slowing for a roundabout, thought the engine breaking was more than normal??, bit further along front brake lever seems to have gone solid, and its applying the brakes on its own, pull over, discs are v v warm, cant see anthing obvious, have a smoke and let discs cool down, give the calipers a kick or two, and lever now seems ok?????????wtf, anyway, gentle ride back on the possessed bike, get home and front brake now seems normal, although changed down a few times instead of up due to the gearlever rock up, leave bike running to check man ccts sound ok, which they are, and i have found its now leaking [dripping water] out of a hole in the front of the engine casing by the water pump?????, when it went on the bench a few weeks back it was fine???, anyway, i thought, bung a bit of metal sealer in there and it will be fine, but have since done a little bit of reading and think that its the mechanical seal in the water pump?????????, as the hole is supposed to be there, can anyone shed more light on it for me, and im presuming i will have to drop the coolent and fresh engine oil to sort this, plus the rh fairing, and engine casing, and will need silly expensive seals and gaskets, is it some thing i can do with a hammer and sockets, or is it a pro press out press in job, any advice or tips welcome, if she carries on like this she will have to go, spent more time fiddling with it than riding it lol
cheers hammie
Wicky

Re: water leak??? locked brakes, and more is my bike takin t

Post by Wicky »

water pump weep hole: http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/te ... ole-15462/

yup good chance you'll need a new clutch cover gasket (there are pdf files of most of the other gaskets) and all the other gubbins.

All good experience! :thumbup:

As for the brakes - Are the wheel spacers all correct? Have you done anything with the brakes of late?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Move the lever arm on the engine end of the gear linkage to vertically down instead of up, gears will be back to normal.

You can re-use the coolant and oil if you drain them carefully.

But beware the drips of coolant from the water pump pipework as you take the clutch cover off, as it can drip coolant into the engine if you knock it.
Wrap it in a towel.

And yes, you can replace the water pump seals with a hammer and sockets, use a bit of hardwood on the splined end of the shaft to drive it, otherwise you'll damage the end.

Ceramic seal isn't cheap, though, for what it is, you might be better off asking on here if anyone has a damaged casing with a known good waterpump section; just strip and swap then over.

Brakes often seize slightly when not used regularly, often the just need a bit of warmth and use and they're fine, otherwise remove calipers, (don't chip the new powdercoat!) remove pads, then gently pump each piston out a few mm, clean with a toothbrush and brake cleaner; reassemble.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

dont get rid it was an e-bay bargin wernt it??

I keep finding more things to-do on my storm but its best time of year to get them sorted, plenty of help offered here. :thumbup:
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721