Clutch Jumping

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
TonyW650

Clutch Jumping

Post by TonyW650 »

Hi Guys

Went down to hastings last year for the mayday run, while I was stuck in traffic and ease the clutch out it kept lurching down the road as if the clutch couldn't engage di-engage properly.
Only done it when its got really hot.
While I've got time on my hand want to work out what it is as, taking my partner this year and dont want it doing it again, as it was bloody had work.
once I was out the traffic and running again it was fine, any ideas?
Diabolus

Re: Clutch Jumping

Post by Diabolus »

mine does it when trying to pull away quickly, oil change with castrol power improved thing but still does it every now and then im lead to believe its where the clutch plates have worn groves on the basket and catches on them sometimes. take off the basket and file smooth is the cheapest fix. :idea:
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

known as Clutch grab
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Diabolus wrote:mine does it when trying to pull away quickly, oil change with castrol power improved thing but still does it every now and then im lead to believe its where the clutch plates have worn groves on the basket and catches on them sometimes. take off the basket and file smooth is the cheapest fix. :idea:
Sadly it's not that easy.

The problem is worse when trying to launch on the drag strip, and at the moment I'm in the middle of fitting a cable clutch conversion.

I'll report if that fixes the problem, according to the boys who race these in Thundersprint it is a fix.

Mostly it isn't a problem as you just get the clutch home early and use the torque.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
macphray

Post by macphray »

I lads talking about clutch grab ,i took the storm out for a blast today the first time after fixing her up,and i noticed that when cruising holding the throttle steady the bike would lurch/snatch ever so slightly ,and i would hear the chain and small sprocket snatch just for a second then it would be ok until it would do it again, feels as if it want to lock up but it just for about a second,the best way i can explain it is that it feel like when you have a bad spark plug and the power kicks in and out .Now is this clutch grab ?or could it be a problem with my throttle bodys and fualing issue after my off ,do they need setting up again or do i first change the plugs . you expertise would be greatly welcomed.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

No, that's just the airbox cough.
Get the carbs balanced.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
macphray

Post by macphray »

Cheers Tony will do thanks for answering. :thumbup:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

TonyW650 wrote:while I was stuck in traffic and ease the clutch out it kept lurching down the road as if the clutch couldn't engage di-engage properly.
Only done it when its got really hot.
?
as tony said, you will notice it more on the strip lol!

we both noticed last year that on the 1st / 2nd run it was fine... but while idleing for another run and getting the engine hot & oil hot, the grabbing was much worse and almost every time.
i nearly binned mine cos of it lol 8O

next day, cold engine.... fine again. then soon as it got hot, same again, the grabbing was back - on 2 different bikes that normally ride ok.

strangely, on mine, it only started after fitting a set of plates from a bike that had the problem, so it's contageous. and it then didnt go away even after replacing all the plates for new.
keep your bike away from others that have this condition.

what you need is a poultice.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.