Custom Frame Sliders

General Bike chat
Snoogle

Custom Frame Sliders

Post by Snoogle »

I really want some frame sliders for my bike....however, because I've removed the fairing I have a sneaky feeling normal Firestorm ones are going to stick out too far past the rads (would normally protect the faring that isn't there on mine). I would need them to go out past the rads enuff to save them from a spill but not too far that they stick out like a sore rock.

Any suggestions fellas?? Are there any that you know would suit my application?

I was thinking about making my own...getting some threaded bar cut to length and then putting the frame sliders on the end and bolting them up with a spacer tube like you would on normal ones...thoughts? That's pretty much what they are anyway right? I'm sure I could get some suitable strength bar from my old mans work anyway...anything to add?? Any criticisms?? :confused
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
mad4it028

Re: Custom Frame Sliders

Post by mad4it028 »

i break bikes for a living and as such i would never fit crash bungs to any of my bikes, the reasoning behind this is as follows
a lot of the bikes i buy to break are insurence write offs i have seen sooooooooo many cracked frames and snapped engine mounts due to the crash bungs hitting the deck hard where with out the bungs the bike probally would have been repairable!
i also think if i drop my bike im losing my no clames anyway so why bother?
bikes bought dead or alive crash damged , none runners , abandond projects
Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

mad4it028 wrote:i break bikes for a living and as such i would never fit crash bungs to any of my bikes, the reasoning behind this is as follows
a lot of the bikes i buy to break are insurence write offs i have seen sooooooooo many cracked frames and snapped engine mounts due to the crash bungs hitting the deck hard where with out the bungs the bike probally would have been repairable!
i also think if i drop my bike im losing my no clames anyway so why bother?

Any vtrs for breaking :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Loud pipes save lives!
mad4it028

Post by mad4it028 »

i bought one to break, everytime i get a bike to break i test ride them to see gears etc work ok well i did this with the vtr and fell in love thats why im here..lol
bikes bought dead or alive crash damged , none runners , abandond projects
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

Nobody else with any other views?
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Snoogle wrote:Nobody else with any other views?
Yeah, leave it well alone, just ride and eojoy it for what it is :lol:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I wondered about putting them on my bike when I got it. I placed a similar query on here because I had heard of them causing bikes to tumble in higher speed crashes leading to cracked frames etc but the concensus of opinion seemed to be that for slow speed drops they do preserve the bike. I think this is one of those issues where you pays your money and takes your pick.
On a counter argument some of the companies selling crash protection are charging as much for them as the replacement parts would cost anyway!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF