Bloody chain lube...

General Bike chat
vtryorks

Bloody chain lube...

Post by vtryorks »

Anyone have any suggestions for a non-flingy chain lube.

Every single brand I try sprays lube all over my shiny gold wheels on the first trip out after a chain and sprocket clean. Surely theres a brand somewhere that doesnt do this or is at least less likely to.

We're not talking about applying excessive amounts here either lol.

Help! :D
FENNER

Re: Bloody chain lube...

Post by FENNER »

I've been using the Wurth stuff and it seems pretty good, and I put loads on :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wurth-High-Pe ... 45fba67f65

Tony
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

use an adhesive belt dressing mate.
ive got some if u want to try it.
it sticks like sh1t to a duvet and wont mess your wheels & tyre :)
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

Hmmm, thanks fellas. VTR is has clean wheels atm and Im not riding it but for the next steed I shall source an alternative.

Benny cheers but I cant expect you to ride all the way over here with a can of chain lube :D hehe
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

PJ1 do a ptfe based chain lube which stays where you put it and preserves the chain well. Got a RIDE best buy a few years ago and I have used it since to good effect.

I lied, it's made by Putoline and it's Tech Chain, ceramic wax non-fling formula. But it did get the RIDE best buy so the rest of my post is true.
:beer:
Last edited by Kev L on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
fireballxl5

Post by fireballxl5 »

Hi, Agree with Fenner Wurth High Performance Dry Chain Lube have been using it for years very little fling off, best lube I have used, came top MCN lube test a few years ago. Give it a go don't think you'll be disappointed.
fireballxl5
seb421

Post by seb421 »

vtryorks wrote:Anyone have any suggestions for a non-flingy chain lube.

Every single brand I try sprays lube all over my shiny gold wheels on the first trip out after a chain and sprocket clean. Surely theres a brand somewhere that doesnt do this or is at least less likely to.

We're not talking about applying excessive amounts here either lol.

Help! :D

My best tip would be to lube it only after you have rode it and the chain is hot from a ride, I lube from the inside of the chain out, this is where its getting its hammering anyway on the sprockets, then I use an old paintbrush and brush it in then I leave it to settle

if you just apply and then ride straight away it will fling off no matter what you use

I have tried all sorts over the years and i just use a little bit of engine oil now i have in a old cup along with the brush, use a little and apply it well and its spot on.
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

I use Wurth, put the bike on a rear paddock stand, while turning the rear wheel slowely with one hand, use the other hand to spray (about the middle where the chain is free) on the INSIDE of the chain on the LOWER section, give it a right goood leathering, then get a rag or cloth, rap it round and hold it round the chain, then again hold with one hand and turn the wheel with the other, this will take off the bit you don't need that would normally fling all over your rear wheel :thumbup:
Oh don't forget to slip a piece of cardboard or something between the bit you're spraying and your wheel/tyre :thumbup:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

my hunch is that Wurth is similar to Muc Off Dry PTFE / Hein Gericke / SDoc Dry etc? Wurth seems a bit tricky to find round here
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

I use the Wurth stuff too. Plus side is its tacky and does not fling. Down side is you have to strip it off the chain before reapplying as it tends to gather the crud from the road quite a bit.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I use the Muc Off PTFE lube. I have not tried the Wurth, but all I ever hear about it is good things. Muc Off also do a small handbag size can for your handbag :lol: (joke) no seriousely it fits nicley under the seat. Handy when your out and about. Also I dont like to mix lubes and Muc Off can be purchased in any Halfrauds.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside