oil usage?

General Bike chat
STEVESTORM

oil usage?

Post by STEVESTORM »

47 questions - nearly

Should my STORM use oil between services - if so how much - should it be visible in the oil window - why does my oil light not come on when oil not visible in window - why do i need to top up every 500 miles when no oil leaks and no smoke - am i thick - will it cost - will i have to drink less beer to pay for it? Questions posted in order of seriousness - most important last...

Anyone who bothered to read to the end - your opinions are awaited with thanks.... :oops: :oops:
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Erm.......

The storm likes it's oil as much as you like you're beer......

Does that help?????
Max

Post by Max »

My Storm uses about 100ml of oil every 1000 miles, then it gets changed so i don't know what consumption is like when the oil gets thiner.

Max
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

yep they like oil like I need to be in me garage and drinkin tea. Err the oil light is connected to a pressure sensor in the oil ways atfer the pump, if it comes on then stop, stop, stop and don't even start it up until it's be stripped.

Del.
MDJ

Post by MDJ »

Mine uses quite abit also. Bought the bike with fully synthetic oil in there, have been topping up withit too. Do I need to continue topping up with the same grade as is in already or can I use semi synth. Is there any benefit to using fullysynth really?, I was thinking of changing to semi?

Anyone know? advice appreciated.. 8)
I got knocked down, but i'll get up again and you'll never ever keep me down!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Mdj
It depends on the manufacturer. I Know Silkolene you can mix all their different ones (they told me so) but don't know about any others.
Definatley can't mix mineral and vegitable oil though.

Pete.l
Max

Post by Max »

I was told not to use fully synthetic as it can cause clutch poblems, whether this is true or not I dunno.
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

only semi-synthetic. so many people advise this the must be right.
it may be clever, but its not big.
tony.wilde1

oil

Post by tony.wilde1 »

manual calls for "honda gn4"oil.i think its just mineral oil.dont know whether its any good or not.but its the recommended oil. :?
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

When I got my FahrtSturm, the previous owner had filled it with Castrol semi-synthetic. I had to keep topping it up every couple of weeks.
After I changed the oil to Motul 5100 semi-synth, I hardly ever have to top it up.
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.