Quick action throttle mod

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
scott02464

Quick action throttle mod

Post by scott02464 »

I was just reading Tony's thread about modifying the throttle housing to get a shorter 'twist action' on the throttle grip.

I have just been out to have a look at mine and I cant seem to seperate the throttle housing, ie. I taken the two screws out, and the two halfs of the throttle housing become lose but dont seem to seperate?

Have you any ideas please?

Also, Could anyone please run me through how to take off the actual grip please? Im wanting to clean the inside up and grease.

Regards,Scott
KarlosVTR

Re: Quick action throttle mod

Post by KarlosVTR »

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15303

that one?

or have i missed something yet again?

with regards to the grip

get some wd40 and a straw, a squirt under the rubber, twist and manipulate, more squirts and jobs jobbed
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

KarlosVTR wrote:http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15303

that one?

or have i missed something yet again?

with regards to the grip

get some wd40 and a straw, a squirt under the rubber, twist and manipulate, more squirts and jobs jobbed
No mate this one http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 44#p148161

Do you mean take the bar end (weight) off and squirt WD40 bwteen the rubber grip Karlos?

Scott
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

you need to take the airbox off to remove the cables off the carb, you need slack in the system then you can get the cables off the throttle tube.

hope that makes sense
AMcQ
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

AMCQ46 wrote:you need to take the airbox off to remove the cables off the carb, you need slack in the system then you can get the cables off the throttle tube.

hope that makes sense
Thanks AMCQ46

It will have to be for another day then. I thought it was a case of splitting the throttle housin lol.

How is the top of the throttle housing held on by the cables? I had it in my head it was a cover that was just screwed onto the lower part that held the cables?

Scott
Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

Benny of hedges done mine there was no need for the air box to come off it was a bit of a task but now fitted and working ggggggreaht :wink:
Loud pipes save lives!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

[quote="scott02464"How is the top of the throttle housing held on by the cables? I had it in my head it was a cover that was just screwed onto the lower part that held the cables?

Scott[/quote]

that I cant answer, as the top should be able to come off if both screws are out. suggest a rubber hammer
AMcQ
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

Just so iv got it clear in my head before I go ahead with this,

In simple terms am I literally just putting a 'packer' (bit of plastic) under the throttle cable?

Because I am unable (for now) to split the throttle housing I am struggling to get me head round why it would make the throttle shorter to twist??

Scott
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

you are putting the plastic under the pull cable so uou are effectivly increasing the diameter of the drum. the bigger the diameter, the less angle you need to turn to generate a fixed displacement of the cable [it is unwraping as a cord from the circumference which is Pi x D].

if you buy a quick action throttle tube the only change is the diameter of the area that the cable sits on, so the extra bit of plastic is doing the same thing, but to a lesser extent
AMcQ
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

AMCQ46 wrote:you are putting the plastic under the pull cable so uou are effectivly increasing the diameter of the drum. the bigger the diameter, the less angle you need to turn to generate a fixed displacement of the cable [it is unwraping as a cord from the circumference which is Pi x D].

if you buy a quick action throttle tube the only change is the diameter of the area that the cable sits on, so the extra bit of plastic is doing the same thing, but to a lesser extent
Ah I'm with you, thanks for that mate.

Would you say, around 1mm thick should be enough?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

i did a 1mm version, and could just tell the difference, I doubt that even 2mm wouldnt give you any scary surprises.................... but in the end I went for the HRC throttle tube which is less than 1/4 turn and I have to say that is one of the best mods I have done. you have to be a bit more gentle with your wrist on low speed low gears, but on the open road it makes the bike come alive
AMcQ
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

AMCQ46 wrote:i did a 1mm version, and could just tell the difference, I doubt that even 2mm wouldnt give you any scary surprises.................... but in the end I went for the HRC throttle tube which is less than 1/4 turn and I have to say that is one of the best mods I have done. you have to be a bit more gentle with your wrist on low speed low gears, but on the open road it makes the bike come alive
Sorry for all these questions (and lack of knowledge ha)

With regards to the HRC throttle tube. Is the 'tube' the rubber grip?

Would I just have to buy the HRC throttle tube to do the upgrade?

Also how do you take the rubber grip part off the bar?

Scott
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

AMCQ46 wrote:i did a 1mm version, and could just tell the difference, I doubt that even 2mm wouldnt give you any scary surprises.................... but in the end I went for the HRC throttle tube which is less than 1/4 turn and I have to say that is one of the best mods I have done. you have to be a bit more gentle with your wrist on low speed low gears, but on the open road it makes the bike come alive
fitting the rvf750 tube with a 1.5mm spacer is quite er... different!
is about the same as the hrc tube at approx 1/5 turn to full throttle.
can be quite hairy if you hit a speed bump wrong lol.

great value per grin mod at about £16 for the tube. :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

Iv got right into the idea of this mod! Can't wait to do it! One way or another it's definatly going to be the next thing I do lol!

What other simple mods like this am I missing out on that I don't know about????
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

The tube is the white plastic under the rubber grip

Tis is the HRC part

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR-100 ... _500wt_922
AMcQ