Fork spring replacement

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Sandyback

Fork spring replacement

Post by Sandyback »

Is there an "idiots guide" to fork spring replacement on here?.........I had a quick look but couldn't find much.

I have a set of USA made Race Tech springs (very similar to UK K-Tech I think) which I am hoping to fit today (in between Jerez races) as the weather is so sh**e :thumbdown:

I am hoping to do this without removing forks from the bike since I did that (to renew oil) over winter.
tony.mon

Re: Fork spring replacement

Post by tony.mon »

Just take the fork legs out as normal, why worry about a few cc's of fork oil?
Replace the oil when fitting the springs, but don't forget that oil level is measured with springs out and leg compressed.

You probably could do one leg at a time by jacking the front end off the ground, but it's very unstable like that and so be careful not to let it fall over when doing up or undoing nuts etc.
Once the front wheel's off a jack under the sump will keep the forks off the ground, if you put some weight on the rear- a toolbox on the pillion seat works well.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Cut spacers to total lenght 410 mm with spring: only spring plus spacer, without washers. This is info from Roger Ditchfield.
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

Thanks guys, new springs installed (340mm springs + 70mm spacer) - OE was 310 + 100mm.
Just need the bloody weather to improve now. :D