So where did my 1.5l of fuel go?

General Bike chat
Trojan

So where did my 1.5l of fuel go?

Post by Trojan »

Been exploring the number of miles I can get from the bike before it sucks it all dry on my 2002 storm with the 19l tank. I reckon when the little block starts to flash I can do another 30miles... if I am careful. So last Saturday the bike had done about 120miles and the block started flashing. Rode home 20 is miles, parked up, had a cuppa etc then later in the afternoon when back out to find the petrol station. Was heading toward Rye and there is a nice long twisty bit of road that runs along the Royal Military canal. Wound it up and took out a few cars then, chug, chug, chug.... Slowed it down to 60-70 in top to keep the revs down. Threw it from side to side a bit to get the last out of the tank. Was thinking I would have a bloody long push the 2 odd miles left but it picked up again and I got into town. It was running on fumes and literally cut out as I got to the pump :lol:

Right thinks I lets see how much we get in it. Filled it full to the brim... 17.5l the pump said. How does that work then? My trip counter was on 147miles so I reckon mileage is about right.
grinner

Post by grinner »

weird isn't it. No matter how dry i seem to get my 16l tank, I can't get more than 13 or so litres in at a refuel. With the light just on, 11 or 12 seems to be the norm!

So in answer to your question, evaporation? pixies? lies? god knows
MDJ

Post by MDJ »

ask Del, he knows, he said summit abouut the tap not draining fuel right to the bottom so it doesn't empty fully....

How are you both?
I got knocked down, but i'll get up again and you'll never ever keep me down!
grinner

Post by grinner »

Ello mate!
Glad to see you're working hard!! Did you find a job? I'm doing the same at the moment, looking at various things, just know I need a change...

Have to get out for a spin sometime. I'd love to go to Avebury as a ride out. Red lion v. biker friendly, great roads to get there also.

Otherwise all well, just trying to find some donnie darko supplements at the mo!
Bink

Post by Bink »

Best ever was 140mls on 14ltrs... 8O That's a theoretical 160mls on my '99 tank... Don't dare try it though!
Usual is about 12lts when the light comes on. (90-100mls)

Strange though - anyway have been driving around like this for +2yrs so am used to what every size tank it is. Tank range doesn't bother me ... hardly ever ride for more then 100mls with out stopping at some point.
vtrlewy

Post by vtrlewy »

Same trouble with my 19l tank in Australia the most I ever put in is 17L. I experimented with in line fuel filters once and the fuel range was lowered by about 3l the fuel filter in tank is only a rock filter. The Storm only uses gravity to feed the fuel no pump so I think that the extra filters even though I put in very large filters restricted the flow . There is a vacuum operated safety valve that only lets fuel flow when there is engine vacuum may also be part of the problem. Have often thought of installing a fuel pump so that all the fuel in tank could be used. I think I have some info somewhere about installing a 600 fuel pump. Interestingly the Varadero has a fuel pump installed standard.
VTR Lewy
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I had to take the bike back and get it serviced again at the dealers, cost another hundred notes :cry:

Doing a bikesafe day at the Ace on Sunday, only my back tyre is as bald as bobby charlton. Hopefully I can blag it and say it is being done next week. Might be interesting if it stays wet like this, the back end was wagging about when I rode it back from Kent this weekend :roll: