Two or more bikes.

General Biker Banter

I own more than 1 bike because

I need a commuter bike, and dont want to mess the other one up.
16%
I have one for trackdays, and the other to use for work and other stuff.
No votes
I just collect bikes and can't stop.
44%
Other.
40%

Total votes: 25

StormingHonda

Two or more bikes.

Post by StormingHonda »

I wondered how many people own more than one bike, and why?.

I own a Harley Davidson 1996 XL1200 Sportster, which untill last year I was running all year round, until winter got really cold and the bike suffered badly from carb iceing, I then felt the need for a second bike, which was the Triumph speed four, which then Triumph upset me in a big way when they asked £600 to service it.

So now I own ( another ) VTR1000 F Firestorm as I missed the last one I owned, and it made sense to have it to commute on and put a smile on my face.

The Harley I would NEVER part with, and I am warming round to the idea of not selling the VTR1000 and spending some money on it to put it how I want it.

So do we have two bike owners who for the same reason have a main bike and aother for the donkey work, or track days or do we have a collector addict.

I'm giving serious thought to buying an early Fireblade too :lol:
VTRDark

Re: Two or more bikes.

Post by VTRDark »

Me, I got an FZS 600 to fix up for winter. I had the sump plug fall out at 80mph and the engine is fooked. Got one from a breakers waiting for me to fit. I was gonna flog it, but decided I would keep as a spare/backup and a winter runner as I can afford to drop it a few times. And I wont care now I got the storm. :lol: and I will have 50% increase in fuel economy with the fazer. :)

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

How the hell does a sump plug fall out at 80mph 8O
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The thread on the sump was gone, so I temporally had the plug held by the tad of thread that remained and chemical metal. It obviously was not enough to hold :eek2 the first I knew off it was when my rear wheel started sliding around. It was like hitting ice or diesel. :lol:

BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

:lol: priceless

how about an option of "I would love two or more bikes because..." for us poor one bikers who got the Storm as a general all purpose, get to work, have a bit of a smile, head off the odd weekend bike, and now thanks to all you wombles is now reignited with bikes where I left off years ago with a GPz900, is wanting to learn everything, has plans for the old girl, do all my own tinkering and messing up an wants a winter hack to save her from the cold and a KTM thrown in for good measure. :D

time to wake up I reckon :(
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

See heres the thing, I have a car liscence, but I dont like driving, for a little while I had a car and bike, for many years, I " swapped " bikes on site like Ebay and Swapz, however I gave the car in so my wife could have a better car, the thing is I never bought another car, so all my time and money goes on motorcycles.

My Harley I took a loan out and then when I had all the trouble with it I extended the loan to get a cheap bike to keep me on the road as I wasnt going to pay for the Harley, however I paid the load off so now I got two fully paid up bikes.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The way I see it, when a bike is ones only form of transport it's good to have two, a spare if you like. So if one is out of action for whatever reason then there is the other bike.

My storm I really like as a fun bike and will keep for a long time. I want to spend some money on customizing to my taste and the way I ride. I want to limit the chances of spanking/dropping it and it drinks too much fuel. So I will have my fazer for the wet,cold,icey,snowy, whatever winter weather. And if I have a slide. :roll: Parts are cheap and in abundance and it don't need to look like anything special. It will be a workhorse. It's cheap on insurance, reliable, comfy, 147mph :roll: and iirc gets approx 150 to a tankful.

It's gonna be interesting getting her back on the road again, that's my summer project :thumbup:

seb421

Post by seb421 »

i don't currently own two bikes but thinking of getting another again, might even get a scooter or something 125cc to go to work on along the A Roads its 13.5 miles

soon pay for its self the saving in fuel, that 1978 superdream was mint on fuel tho i would like a bike a bit more reliable lol

Then i could replace every bearing on the bike and have it feel like new :) and carry out other things that need attention
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
headgear

Post by headgear »

I've got a cb1300 for when her indoors wants to go for a ride (large comfy lard butt seat) and my firestorm for when i want the grin factor. :biggrin
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I have 4 bikes, but they are all for very different things, and I was not sure if I should class competition dirts bikes as "track day bikes" so I went for the more honest answer that I just collect them because I cant help myself!

#1 Firestorm for fast road fun, trackdays, touring and everything but commuting, I am the 3rd owner of this 13yrold bike and have had it for 10yrs even though it sat unused for a number of years when my passion moved to greenlaning, and Enduros.
#2 2003 GasGas EC200 Enduro [road legal motocrosser, watercooled 200cc 2 stroke competition bike, WP forks, Ohlins shock] I grew up on a farm and I have always ridden dirt bikes, so when I gave up roadracing I started greenlaning and for many yrs that was my only form of motorcycleing, till I bought the Storm and still had the offroader. had 3 or 4 2nd hand enduro bikes, then the GG I have owned from new. It had 3 hard yrs of use till foot & mouth and NERC hit the greenlanes and after that it just comes out a few time to play, because bike #3 turned up and I had a new hobbie!
#3 2006 GasGas TXT Pro 250 Trials bike, watercooled 250cc 2 stroke, only weighs 75kg and has no seat!... only got into trials 3yrs ago, and that became the main bike hobby and sundays were spent riding competitions on that............it is one of the most fun & low cost motorcycle sports, dont know why it took me till I was 45 to try it, it also teaches you many lessons on grip and throttle control & balance that can be used on any bike!............doing it less now as the Storm is back in favour, but still fun to go out and humble myself in a competition now and then.
#4 1976 KH125 [air cooled, 2 stroke, disc valve single] garage find and restored for local journeys and "just nipping out to get some bits from xxx" type journeys, and also looking after some historic old relic for future generations :D . never fails to put a smile on my face as you get to ride it with the throttle to the stop everywhere.

I find my passion & focus moves every 3 yrs, so soon I predict that I wll be riding the Storm less and will be back greenlaning, but I know that in 3ys it will all move round again so why bother selling any of the bikes, as they are all worth more to me than I could ever get selling them!
AMcQ
YETI

Post by YETI »

I got three vtr`s :D .

YETI..
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

I bought the storm in 2003 and put some mileage on it with trips to Belgium and France, after a couple of years I began to find it hard work with the wife and luggage on long trips so started looking for something that would do the miles with ease and was big enough for me and the wife. I had always liked the look of the GSX1400 so ended up buying one new with all the luggage, originally I was going to part ex the storm but when it came to it...I couldn't do it and ended up keeping it.. so now have one for fun and one as a work horse...GSX now has 37000+ miles on it. not bad when we also have two cars...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I got enough bits to make another one, probably.

But I also have a little 1973 Honda SL125, and a brand new unregistered 50cc scoot that I need to sell.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

I've got 6 bikes and if i had more space i'd have more :biggrin

I've got the Firestorm, 2 x Yam XJ600, One i race in post classic proddy class and the other is a spare/s bike, also got a 1985 Suzuki GSX1100EFE, gixxer running gear, JMC arm, 1230 big bore, flatslides etc etc...Got 2 x Suzuki Katana's, both popup headlight models, one i've had since 1987 and has 1100 engine bored to 1230 plus similar stuff to my EFE, it's not on the road as it's an ongoing project, the other is an all standard 1986 bike, mot'd and runs but i'll be restoring it at some point to be like new..
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

i only got the one firestorm but quite fancy getting a 50s or 60s moped to restore a bit. dont know why :?

who,s got the most bikes then?

has turbo billy weighed in yet??
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.