declaring to insurance

General Biker Banter
seb421

declaring to insurance

Post by seb421 »

if i tell MCE i have a yoshi system fitted and the 954 front how much would i be expected to pay?

Will a paint job bump up the price too?

Worried about getting pulled and not declared mod's like my mate who got his car taken off him, or having an inspector go over it after a crash
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
marravtr

Re: declaring to insurance

Post by marravtr »

seb421 wrote:if i tell MCE i have a yoshi system fitted and the 954 front how much would i be expected to pay?

Will a paint job bump up the price too?[/color]Worried about getting pulled and not declared mod's like my mate who got his car taken off him, or having an inspector go over it after a crash

they prob wont insure you!

yes the have your pants down for a paint job aswell
standard insurance prob wont pay you a penny if you dont declare the mods or wont insure you if you done too much, your better off going for special insurance place and getting an agreed value mate :wink:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

my insurance didnt add anything for exhausts / bellypan / new brakes / new shock ............but they did say they would only pay the book value of the bike if stolen or written off, they wouldnt cover the extras
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

seb421 wrote:if i tell MCE i have a yoshi system fitted and the 954 front how much would i be expected to pay?

Will a paint job bump up the price too?

Worried about getting pulled and not declared mod's like my mate who got his car taken off him, or having an inspector go over it after a crash
Insure it as a 954, then everything else apart from the system is a downgrade.

If you make a claim, ask for a rebate.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Murv

Post by Murv »

You might be surprised. Some companies view mods as the sign of a loving owner and won't increase premiums at all. I would advise phoning around for quotes though, if you declare mods on insurance comparison sites, a lot of them give flat, automatic refusal when in actual fact, if you speak to them, they'll be happy to quote.

My 'storm is the first bike I've ever declared the aftermarket cans on, I've just never bothered before. Made no difference whatsoever to the premium.

In saying all that though, if your mods increase the power output then you may have more trouble, that's certainly the case with cars. I had an Audi 90 Quattro a few Years ago that had a WR turbo engine fitted. The insurance was such a PITA that I had to get rid of it in the end

It's definitely wort declaring all mods though, insurance companies will wriggle out of a claim on the slightest thing. Few years ago it wasn't so bad but things have moved on. You may even find that you could get pulled on a random check and they declare you as being uninsured I guess?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Murv wrote:You might be surprised. Some companies view mods as the sign of a loving owner and won't increase premiums at all. I would advise phoning around for quotes though, if you declare mods on insurance comparison sites, a lot of them give flat, automatic refusal when in actual fact, if you speak to them, they'll be happy to quote.

My 'storm is the first bike I've ever declared the aftermarket cans on, I've just never bothered before. Made no difference whatsoever to the premium.

In saying all that though, if your mods increase the power output then you may have more trouble, that's certainly the case with cars. I had an Audi 90 Quattro a few Years ago that had a WR turbo engine fitted. The insurance was such a PITA that I had to get rid of it in the end

It's definitely wort declaring all mods though, insurance companies will wriggle out of a claim on the slightest thing. Few years ago it wasn't so bad but things have moved on. You may even find that you could get pulled on a random check and they declare you as being uninsured I guess?
They'd best not google your strapline beneath your posts, then- in case they believe you.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Murv

Post by Murv »

Not a problem Tony, I already pay a massive premium in insurance for having a Silver one. It's all that extra power you see
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

when i insured mine with carole nash i told them about all the mods i have done .
they said they didnt class them as modifications , they class them as accessories :lol:
but i haven't got a custom paint job.
but im not sure that would matter as they class the storm as a modem classic , so any claim and the bike would likely
get written off.
give carole nash a ring for a quote
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Think i will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say,

What do i tell them for the can's as i cant find them ever being for sale on internet just say Yoshimura R & D, will they insure for a race can? what about if i fit BS approved baffles

put the willys up me my mate either having his car taken off him or face conviction for no insurance, worried pc plod is going to tug me and go hello what are these are they declared on the insurance

If i was to say yes to that question when they might not be at the time is there any way he /she can prove other wise?
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Paint jobs when I asked, they only insure you for standard paint work, so basicly they will only pay you out as if they paint work was standared
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Is there a prize if we guess how much the mods add to your premium? I'll say the paintwork will add £200
Rich.

Murv

Post by Murv »

I didn't have to give any details of my cans, I just told them it had carbon exhausts.
On the policy, it just states, under modifications, "Yes - Exhaust"
That's with Bennetts

(Mine are also race cans)
seb421

Post by seb421 »

shall find out tomorrow then guy's hope its not going to be too much, standard its 310 or 320 pa (cant remember) hopefully not 200 quid because it was only 500 to insure the Blade as mine TPFT and no mods on my storm are going to make it as quick as the blade, wonder if i just try third party only then, that might be better option
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Sent an email off to them with details of upgrades / mod's and a picture, ill let you know what they come back with, ive sited they are for safety reasons but we will see
Last edited by seb421 on Thu May 31, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Right received an email asking me to give them a call

Rang them up and spoke to them they said unless you want them replacing in a total loss claim and any of the mods don't significantly increase bhp then you don't need to declare them, told them I've got a Yoshimura exhaust system and they said yeh that's fine as said unless you want them replacing you don't have to have them listed

made a note of time and date of call (31/05/2012 - 15:04 from my land line) just in case of any comebacks

So that's a relief if in case i get a difficult stringent copper i can say yes its all perfectly legal :) :Argue: :Ball Kick: :Beer Popcorn: :thumbup: :wave:

So if i stick some BS approved baffles in the Yoshi's for the trip to and from work all is good and the neighbours cant complain

:Beer Popcorn:
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14