CCT advice for a newbie

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
carpkisser

CCT advice for a newbie

Post by carpkisser »

I'd appreciate advice on whether CCT replacement is considered essential, desirable or if failure is unlikely? Mine is a '98, 25000 miles with loads of documented oil changes. I'll ride it easy with a likely max of 3000 miles a year.

Sorry if this has been done to death on here.

Many thanks for any help.
Wicky

Re: CCT advice for a newbie

Post by Wicky »

Essential - as there are cases of them imploding on Storms with as little as 7K miles leaving owners with big bills.

The only plus point for this inherent weakness is that plenty of VTRs end up getting broken for spare parts. Slap some manuals in pronto! :thumbup:

The latest CCTs failure... http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/te ... eye-28558/
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
carpkisser

Post by carpkisser »

Thank you Wicky. I've taken heed & ordered some.

Having two left hands & finding Meccano a head scratcher, can anyone recommend a mechanic to fit them near Twickenham? I'd of course pay the lucky person with real cash money.

Thanks again.

:D
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Once more into the breach....

Yes, I can fit them, easiest if you come to my place near Brands Hatch, but if you cover my fuel I can come to you.
I'll pm you with labour cost.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
carpkisser

Post by carpkisser »

Many thanks. You have PM.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Booked in, all sorted.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
SneakyF

Post by SneakyF »

Hi North WEST GUYS (lol hint here) I have just purchsed some CCT's off bazza.
I am ok with mechanical things to a point, however this sort of thing I normally leave to a bike shop. After speaking to Bazza he tells me that most Bike shops wont fit the CCT's correctly, so I am asking if theres any one in the NW of England that
1 Can help fit (me as a gofer not main mechanic) or
2 Reccomend a mechanic to fit them for me.

Either way more than happy to spend some dosh sorting this issue.

regards

Dunk
If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be.
Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

pete1781

Post by pete1781 »

Did mine today with a mechanic friend of mine watching over me and had no problems at all, if I had had the confidence to start it I would have been fine finishing it :) I would recommend anyone with a bit of mechanical knowledge gives it a go, just follow the instructions in the workshop knowledge to the letter and you'll be ok :)

Also a sense of achievement you only get from doin the job yourself and most importantly knowing that the auto ccts aren't gonna fail at any minute........phew ;)
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

SneakyF wrote:Hi North WEST GUYS (lol hint here) I have just purchsed some CCT's off bazza.
I am ok with mechanical things to a point, however this sort of thing I normally leave to a bike shop. After speaking to Bazza he tells me that most Bike shops wont fit the CCT's correctly, so I am asking if theres any one in the NW of England that
1 Can help fit (me as a gofer not main mechanic) or
2 Reccomend a mechanic to fit them for me.

Either way more than happy to spend some dosh sorting this issue.

regards

Dunk
Its straight forward really if you print the guide and follow it methodically tick it off as you go.
Check the crankcase inspection cap comes off before starting anything.(I had issue with mine)

Hardest part for me was fitting the air box back on as a breather pipe had been previously disconected by someone and the rubber had shrunk making a hard task even harder.

I was nervous pressing the starter for the first time but shouldnt have as I followed every thing to the letter and it turned fine by hand.
I was concerned the tension was a little too tight so backed them of another flat on the thread, seem's fine to me.

If you cover my fuel back to Grantham one weekend soon I would come and help you. :thumbup:
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
carpkisser

Post by carpkisser »

Just had my CCT's done by Tony. Superb job, excellent price. I'd guess there are surgeons who are less precise....

:thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

At least you can have peace of mind now. With the auto's you just nether know if and when. Did you learn much from the Mr Mon experience. It's nice getting into the guts of an engine. :Thinking:

Well done Tony another member rescued from potential disaster. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
carpkisser

Post by carpkisser »

Yeah I learnt loads, took me through it step by step. There are definitely a few things the unwary DIYer could trip up on. Much sound advice on tyres, brakes, performance & things to watch out for. :D
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Hope you carried on the grand old tradition (started on Saturday) and used an item of Tony's clothing to wipe your dirty hands on!
Well done on getting them sorted fella.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF