My new storm

General Bike chat
alternative_vtr

My new storm

Post by alternative_vtr »

Well as I mentioned I picked up my new to me Storm the other day and took some pictures this morning so I thought I would post them up here :)

It's in fantastic condition and done less than 2000 miles. Awesome for a 12 year old bike. I have been out for my first ride and I have a few things to sort out:- Chain too tight, cans are deafening and I mean toooooo loud, running a bit lean I think too, I am going to do the manual CCT change if I can get a bit of help and change the regulator/rectifier. I would put the standard cans on but need the lead gaskets and my Honda dealers around me are all closed until tomorrow so that job will wait a few days. I can sort out the tight chain and have size 48 pilot jets and manual Kreiger CCT's ordered too.

What an awesome bike to ride, I have owned a lot of big bikes (3 x Gixxer 750's, a 05 Fireblade, Mille R, 3x 900 Hornets, 2 x CB1300's etc etc) but this is a really comfortable bike to ride, maybe it's just my height and reach but it feels like I could ride hundreds of miles on it unlike most other spiortsbikes I have had that hurt my wrists at low speeds or back. It has a lot of torque and apart from a bit of a hiccup with fueling it is smooth.

I am looking forward to sorting the issues out and riding a lot of miles on my Storm.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
Fireman on a Storm

Re: My new storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Very nice! Don't change the cans JUST WEAR EAR PLUGS! :D
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Nice one.

Orange and black is looking good! , great condition, cant believe the milage, do you mean 20,000? If only 2k that must be a record!

Try some baffles in the cans, that can take the sting out of the noise. Happy to help over the phone on the CCT

Hope the shop was busy yesterday otherwise you would have been kicking yourself for not getting to the workshop day.....good website and some nice custom tiles :thumbup:
AMcQ
Opel

Post by Opel »

I don't do the colour game, but if I ever had a choice, it'd have to be an Orange Storm. Nice bike...do you want to swap for a blue one? :D
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Check out this thread

Tasum had really loud scorpians, the baffles have made a huge difference

http://www.haymouth.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... =8&t=24804
alternative_vtr

Thanks guys, yes it has done 1980 miles as I type this. It has a brand new petrol tank too. Might persevere with the cans with some baffles, still need the lead gaskets as it is blowing and found missing one and got goo instead. Thanks for the mobile offer when the Kreigers arrive I will see how confident I feel. Yes the workshop day is a great idea just I don't have my cct's yet and Saturdays issue. Thanks for the comments on my shop, yes as it happens we were buzzing yesterday which was brilliant. The two websites are good adverts and pull people in. How often do you do the workshop days? Is it every few months?

I am chuffed to bits with the bike and really want to get it sorted and try to keep it forever, I have been looking for a nice one for a long time (would you believe over a year 8O ) they don't come up often at such low mileage that are genuine honest bikes. The guy I bought it off had been working away and the bike had stood for 9 years under a cover, he spent a fortune recommissioning it with new petrol tank, fluids change, and carb clean up as well new battery.

:plainsmile
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
alternative_vtr

Thanks Flatline will do
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

+1 on the baffles.

That is a very clean looking bike and Orange is not all bad, quite a rare colour :thumbup: I love that carbon belly pan/fairing. I wouldn't go messing around with jet sizes and stuff if you have a standard air filter. You will also find that it's probably already got 48 pilots in there, there's a very good chance of it.

I'm a bit miffed to why it's got a new fuel tank on such a low mileage bike :confused If the bike has been sitting around for years with fuel still in the tank and carbs, then that would clog things up a bit. Take the bike for a good hard ride, get a couple of clean tankfulls of fuel through and you will most probably find that you have no carb issues. :wink:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
alternative_vtr

Ordered those db killers / baffles so will try them to cut down the noise, petrol tank was swapped because it had rust in it apparently. It would be nice if fueling is ok, do you suggest super unleaded? Will do a few hundred miles and see how it goes.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
chric

Post by chric »

mine dont like super unleaded some reason
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Just normal unleaded

Mr Mon has all sorts of trick bits in his engine and needs SuperU

But not ours buddy
carpkisser

Post by carpkisser »

Lovely bike. Didn't know they did 'em in orange 8O
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If the fuel tank had rust particles inside some may have got into the carbs. So they may require a strip down and clean through with carb cleaning spray. If you know one end of a spanner from the other then this is something you could do yourself very easily.

Normal unleaded fuel is the norm. Every now and again I give the bike a treat and put some super unleaded in as (depending on brand) it has extra cleaning additives added to it.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
rapid6

Post by rapid6 »

nice
Honda VTR1000....Triumph STR....Triumph Tiger 800.....

UNLEASH THE FURY