Bridgestones

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
RQ

Bridgestones

Post by RQ »

Has anyone run the 014s yet? Are they all they claim to be?
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
BazilD

Post by BazilD »

I have just had a pair fitted. I'm out of action for a while but will let you know how they go.
BazilD
Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windscreen!
ktd001

014's

Post by ktd001 »

Further to earlier answers, had 014's on for over 1000 miles now and I love 'em. Much grippier than 010's in tight spots, stick like sh*t to a blanket on fast roundabouts (no officer, I COULDN'T have been going that fast!) and really good in the worst weather conditions. Looking forward to wearing them out on the way to, and sadly back, the Pyrennees next week.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Cheers ktd. I'll be interested to see how long they last for you on a run like that.
RQ.
ktd001

Rubber life

Post by ktd001 »

Well, If I can get the magnets taken out of my tyres they SHOULD last a while. Had 2 more bits of metal removed this morning (only 3mm long thank god) and starting to feel picked on. I had the things on for 12 hours the first time and oicked up a bloody great picture hook! Still, no actual air getting out so fingers crossed, they might go for the 3k +. Will let you know if they square off. Avoiding the Peage so it shouldn't be too bad but only time and sore wrists will tell!
RQ

Post by RQ »

I'm jealous now. I'll be due a set of tyres for mine in about a month or so, your test ride will tell all!
Enjoy it,
RQ.
ktd001

014's

Post by ktd001 »

Morning all. Ok, afternoon but still haven't got my head back on this whole 'being back at work' thing yet. Had a great time biking down to the south of France, back along the Pyrennes and generally enjoying fast, smooth, empty(ish) roads with loads of considerate drivers. Such a treat to go through the Blackwall Tunnel on Monday!
Anyway, the BT014's took a bit of a beating. Managed to scrape just past the 3000 miles and had to change the rear today, on the grounds that you could balance a teacup on it (or would be able to if there was any tread left on it to stick to!). They performed brilliantly all the way, whether doing 130mph on the back roads (allegedly), or desperately fighting off my pillion on the 40mph, downhill twisties. Not a problem even when the cars insisted you overtake them on the inside coming down the Pyrennees (honestly, they wouldn't move back into their lane until you'd passed, no matter how bloody scared you were to do it!).
So, if in any doubt about the stickability of the tyres, just go for it. Not sure about the longevity, especially if you're used to 020's but I know what my priority is!
MDJ

Post by MDJ »

Did you have a pillion all the way? is so 3K seems damn good for a sticky tyre.... Hope my diablos last that long, longer even I don't carry passenger normally.....

014.... interesting
I got knocked down, but i'll get up again and you'll never ever keep me down!
MDJ

Post by MDJ »

oh yea, SE London? are you up for a rideout at some point, a sunday prob and prob thru Kent or summit?
I got knocked down, but i'll get up again and you'll never ever keep me down!
ktd001

Life

Post by ktd001 »

Had the pillion for about 2000 of those. 1800 on the holiday plus assorted 2-up rides (including my son who has all the grace of a fridge). Suppose that might be why they've squared off so much? Doh! Only just considered that!
Might be up for a ride soon, but probably need to convince the wrists that they need the exercise first! Big trick is getting the other half to ride her bike (gets a massive dose of lazyitis when it comes to weekends). Rideouts are just no FUN when you're considering the safety of your pillion!
penst8grad

Post by penst8grad »

Thanks for the review of the 14's. I gave them some serious consideration, but went with the trusty 010 front 020 rear combination because I ride about 20 miles of highway to work and don't want square tires.

I'm curious about what riding you do. Is it more twisties or sweepers? I mean are your roads such that 80 mph in the turns are out of the question?
ktd001

Roads

Post by ktd001 »

Bit of a combination. Weekdays are mostly commuting, much weaving through heavy town traffic jams with the occasional foray up to 60mph (Woohoo!). Weekends, long work trips, hols etc are much faster. Certainly going through France is always a great experience 'cos of the lack of other traffic. Having said that, the 020's I had on my old VFR750 went the same way, squared off badly but again, I did a lot of 2-up work
marcus

Post by marcus »

My opinion for what its worth it that 010s are more than enough for any road situation very few riders will be able to find there limits on the rd i have a pair fitted to my bike and find they heat up quick and give good feedbck and are very positive through the corners and when roundabout surfing :D i mean most of our rds are that bad that it would be a waste of more expensive grippier rubber after all the amount of grip you have is more to do with the tarmac under your wheels than the rubber on your wheels. I have a mate who fits any old rubber on his bike doesnt care what it is and he grinds his pegs his vtr he gets his knee down with the best of them, so you can say that technique can add to the equasion! My view is fit decent rubber that will give you decent mileage and dont worry about it like i say unless you ride badly you will have no problems with grip. 8)
Ride it like you stole it!!
ktd001

Grippy

Post by ktd001 »

"dont worry about it like i say unless you ride badly you will have no problems with grip"

Ah, now we get to the nub of the problem! I ride baldly, does that count?
Honestly though, when you're doing a lot of town riding on wet, shitty roads, you want your tyres as responsive as possible. I've done the 'any old rubber' bit and it's a good recipe for getting up, under & over the butt of every local taxi, white van and bus. I had a pair of Metzelers that used to take 50 miles of hard riding to warm up. Great for a dry day out but bloody terrifying the rest of the time.
Oh, and the 014's are the replacement for the 010's!
freshfunkmeister

Post by freshfunkmeister »

Just to throw another tyre into the mix, I have been running BT 012 ss front and rear for about 1,500 miles and 3 trackdays so far this month. Right over on both sides of the rear, zero slippage, more grip than I have the confidence to explore and nice quick steering too. Rode in the wet with then a few times too and no probs there either. Looks like I should get abut another 2,500-4,000 out of the rear which ain't bad as it is one of the stickiest tyres bridgestone do !!
As soon as I read about the dangers of drinking too much, I immediately gave up reading.

www.classicreplicasuk.co.uk

All donations will go towards the completion of the car. Thank you.