For all those sceptics - it's not all doom and gloom

General Bike chat
bazza696

For all those sceptics - it's not all doom and gloom

Post by bazza696 »

This thread is for people that we only post our problems on this forum, once the little niggles are sorted we all experience years of trouble free riding on the Firestorm.

My story:
I sorted the cct,s and rectifier out within the first year of riding the VTR, now its been 3 years and 19,000 miles trouble free riding.

One electrical problems caused by me uprating the battery and knocking a wire loose when refitting it, oh and those bloody tyres keep wearing out.
Xenocide

Re: For all those sceptics - it's not all doom and gloom

Post by Xenocide »

I bought my bike. Put some brake pads and MCCT's on and left for europe for 3 weeks. Didn't miss a beat. A new sprint st died, my mates zzr didn't start. The unsuitable storm was perfect. Only ran out of fuel once too (I was coasting into a petrol station at the time so i didn't really mind).
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

nice one Bazza...........clearly your pint glass is half full :D :beer:

The storm is a great bike, its one of the biking worlds underdogs but it can do most anything you want and still make you smile. Plus when you can stick on the back wheel of a well ridden modern bike down Snake pass on your 13yr old underdog, it makes it all the more satisfying :D

I have had my bike for 10yrs, didnt bother with a CCT mod for the first 7yrs as I wasnt a member of the Forum and didnt know about it. I am sure I rode it for at least 1 yr after I knew about it and eventualy I did the stopper mod for peace of mind. same with the Reg/Rec..........neither had failed, I have just done it as a wise preventitive measure.

in those yrs it has never let me down, and although I have had to change the battery that was due to the fact it was unused for about 3yrs and I hadnt spotted that the wife had switched off the optimate but it was still attached to the bike so it drained the battery and killed it.

It has done track days, it has done touring into France with people on GS1200's, it has taken me loaded up with camping gear to wet weekends in Wales, it has done milage 2 up, it has got me into trouble but it has always made me smile...........and after a quick wash down it still looks better than most 2yr old bikes.
AMcQ
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Here, Here, well said AMCQ46 and Bazza :thumbup: I've had two over the last 12 years, the first one was silver, had it for 4 years,
I was so impressed with it I decided to get another one, a bit younger coz it was getting on a bit, so I sold it and got the red one which you know I still have to this day.
A fantastic bike, and with just a few simple mods can be made even better.
They are full of fun, sound great, full of torque and lots of character :D :Shock1: :Shock: :D :lol:
Not the best looking bike, but then again for those of us that have been divorced or split up a few times, know quite well that beauty is only skin deep, sometimes there's a lot more hidden underneath :thumbup:

I hope I never have to sell mine, I just love the big V twins :boobs:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

After 55 years of life and 42 years of bikes, i feel i have finally.....come home. :biggrin

I have had it for 8 years now and that feeling has never left
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

nice to hear everyone, don't tell the missus :silent: but I would get rid of her before I could part with the firestorm.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

cheekykev wrote: Not the best looking bike, but then again for those of us that have been divorced or split up a few times, know quite well that beauty is only skin deep, sometimes there's a lot more hidden underneath :thumbup:
nice comparison there kev, it sums up the Storm........but dont put yourself down, your not that ugly :lol:
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

I had a storm and circumstances meant I had to part with it. I have missed its character and cannot wait to get on another one soon.

bazza. I might need some of your renowned stopper modded CCTs soon :thumbup:
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
tasum

Post by tasum »

geodude wrote:I had a storm and circumstances meant I had to part with it. I have missed its character and cannot wait to get on another one soon.

bazza. I might need some of your renowned stopper modded CCTs soon :thumbup:
you'll need to give him time to get his mask on before he replies with his "handling" fee :Behind 2:
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Bought mine brand new in 98

Never let me down
Rob

Post by Rob »

Bought mine new in 2002.

It has let me down. Battery died after stopping at the chippy one the way home from work one night.

Battery was only 7 years old as well. :lol:

The only other thing that had to be changed that's not a consumable is head bearings. Advisory on 1st MOT and finally failed MOT at 5 years (I think.)
This thread is for people that we only post our problems on this forum
If this topic is in response to my post the other night then I think you misunderstood it.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Bought mine 6 yrs ago, and I think the frame is still standard- but not much else.....
Still, not a bad effort, Mr Honda. :clap:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.