oil

General Bike chat
toonarmy

oil

Post by toonarmy »

my mechanic put in shell advance ultra 4t 10w-40 ive been to halfords all they have is castrol power 1 4t 10w-40 will this be ok to top up? cheers in advance
VTRDark

Re: oil

Post by VTRDark »

I personally prefer not mixing oils because they have their own recipes and mixing them could mess with one or the other so they don't other maximum protection. But saying that having oil is better than no oil. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
toonarmy

Post by toonarmy »

well just went for it got about a third of a litre in whats the capacity and is only a slight showing in the window low?
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Just under 4 litres I think, if you change only oil. 4 with the filter changed. So just above min would be OK to me, I prefer half way up the window. Pop some in and see how much it changes, will give you an idea how much to keep to topping up, depending on how is burned
Rob

Post by Rob »

For an oil change it's 3.9 Litres.

There are two lines either side ot the window (If I remember correctly!) lower and upper limits.

Bike MUST be upright when checking, not on the sidestand. Bit of a bitch to do on your own.

Oil must be warm, when it's cold mine always looks low although it might come up eventually.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Bike MUST be upright when checking, not on the sidestand. Bit of a bitch to do on your own.
I was just about to mention that. It's so annoying not having a mainstand on these bikes sometimes.

Although it is better to have someone to hold the bike upright for you, it is possible on your own if your careful. I normally have the bike on the siedstand and then pull the bike upright from the frame where it meets the subframe at the front of the seat. I can then just balance the bike enough to bend down and check the level.

If Honda where that clever they would have put a dipstick on the oil filler cap. They never thought about these little things in the design.

Rob

Post by Rob »

I grab the right handlebar and pull in the brake lever. I can then sit down and pull the bike over and tell when it's upright by the balance. A bit crap really.

I got the missus to sit on the bike once after changing the oil so I could check the level. Got her to start it to warm it up but I hadn't put the filler cap back on and she got oil all up her leg. She wasn't impressed and won't help anymore. I thought she smelt quite nice afterwards though, better than her usual perfume :thumbup:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

I sit on the bike, spirit level across the tank and then use a telescopic mirror tool, part of a set of telescopic magnet, magnetic steel bowl and the mirror. From Lidl, 4.99 - no worries and always on the level me :D
toonarmy

Post by toonarmy »

how scientific i just grabbed the subframe pulled her level and looked taking her out in a bit so see if it being low made a difference
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

cybercarl wrote: If Honda where that clever they would have put a dipstick on the oil filler cap. They never thought about these little things in the design.

They might have thought:
"Hmm, it would be nice to put a dipstick in the oil filler cap, but then it would interfere with the clutch going round, so best not".
:lol:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Eh...why not put a bit of wood under the side stand so that it sits upright...?

Been doing this for 6 years with no mishaps.

Not sure about the advice to check when oil is warm.

I always thought that you always check oil when engine is cold so that the oil has all drained to the sump & therefore the true level.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's more of an issue with bikes that have had a shock spacer put in, as they lean over further.
But conversely, forks through yokes has the opposite effect.

I sue a Xena disc lock/alarm, which has flat sides, and fits beautifully under the sidestand to level the bike up.
Oil needs to be done cold, IMHO.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I usually knee or sit and pull the bike over towards me, wouldnt recommend it tho :D
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

I use a laser level on the tank and line it up with a calculated scale on the shed wall, when they intersect perfectly at 182.75mm I know the bike is up right. Align the viewing glass with a mirror screwed to the shed floor that casts it image to another down by the front wheel then up to one in front of me like a HID so I can see the level perfect.

no bending down, now strain, no hassle. I even check the level when I don't need to cause its so easy, sometimes I just watch the oil fall back down after a ride out, very therapeutic
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Now that's scientific! Very clever. :thumbup: