anyone got breakdown cover?

General Biker Banter
BigVeeGrin

anyone got breakdown cover?

Post by BigVeeGrin »

And if so what are your thoughts on the best deal, provided etc?
Wicky

Re: anyone got breakdown cover?

Post by Wicky »

Got it included with Carol Nash - very handy to have for punctures & breakdowns :thumbup:

Many moons ago used to have AA cover* which was restricted to bikes less than 10 years of age - Not sure if that's still the case but Carol Nash doesn't have the same restriction.

http://www.theaa.com/breakdowncover/policy_summary.html
Additional restrictions for Vehicle Membership

Service is only available to vehicles which are registered with the AA at the time assistance is requested; Where only Roadside Assistance is held, the vehicle must be no more than 10 years old at the date of registration with the AA.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I just ask for it to be included when comparing insurance quotes, they always end up throwing it in. I get business cover and international breakdown as well, just so it's there in case I use it.

It's a lot cheaper to have it thrown in at the start rather than but it separately.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Have mine included with the policy from Footman James. Only had to call on it once when I got a puncture on a ride out. Talked with the recovery driver on the way home and call out alone would have been £50 along with £1 a mile charge from depot/home/depot.( in this case another £100 ) Well worth it for peace of mind :thumbup:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

when i was with cia insurance before i had to get my own and went with RAC at £15pm
its was worth the piece of mind just incase .

but when i got insurance from carol nash it was included as i went for fully com at £145 for the year , that was cheeper than the RAC cover alone without the previous years insurance cost which was £210 tpft from CIA .

so if you get it in your insurance you save all round :thumbup:
Phimosis

Post by Phimosis »

If you bank with the Co-Op its free if you have the premier account (which it isnt really)...
She told me she was 16.
chric

Post by chric »

lloydiecbr wrote:when i was with cia insurance before i had to get my own and went with RAC at £15pm

but when i got insurance from carol nash it was included as i went for fully com at £145 for the year , that was cheeper than the RAC cover alone without the previous years insurance cost which was £210 tpft from CIA .

Check how far its coverd for carol nash was humming and harring when my sprintst was broken down in scotland it was yes then no then yes then no tossers never used them since.
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I have the top cover from the AA, they gave it to me this year with a huge discount, The problem I have is that I have bikes and a car to cover so paying extra is worth it to me.

But I think the cover you can get with your insurance is good for one vehicle.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

chric wrote:
lloydiecbr wrote:when i was with cia insurance before i had to get my own and went with RAC at £15pm

Check how far its coverd for carol nash was humming and harring when my sprintst was broken down in scotland it was yes then no then yes then no tossers never used them since.
i will do :thumbup:
i know if im within a mile of home they will tell me to piss off
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I must have been lucky when I broke down 1.6 miles from home (knackered clutch) and I got recovered without any problem.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Phimosis wrote:If you bank with the Co-Op its free if you have the premier account (which it isnt really)...
Funny, that was what got me thinking. They sent me an email about would I fancy being a premier a/c holder at £13 a month. Includes all kinds of goodies, breakdown being one of them.
neil

Post by neil »

this year paid 85 quid for AA relay. That covers me and my wife for cars & bike breakdown and recovers vehicle home or to any garage. Longest recovery we've had was from nr Lands end to home nr Hull. This year brought us back home from nr Manchester airport when car overheated
redvtr
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I don't have any breakdown cover. If I broke down to the point of not being able to ride the bike I would park it up somewhere safe and make my own way home and have it recovered later. Man and a van or mate with a van.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

guys if you are considering buying RAC breakdown cover, get the exact same cover with the same rac card through autonet for 1/3 the price,

bargain.

the full monty package was 129 through rac and i got the same cover through autonet for 39 :thumbup:

oh and a fiver admin for sorting it over the fone.

i ended up needing it when my chain snapped - i had 6hrs left to run on the policy when i called them out lol!
needless to say i renewed it. :thumbup:
bearing in mind it cost me £275 to recover my bike when i binned it - i claimed it back 2 years later but still had to pay it at the time :thumbdown: made sure i had recovery after that.

also, if you have recovery on your insurance policy - check the small print, cos the mce recovery is only for 25miles - they will come and get you from anywhere but will only recover the bike to the nearest dealer.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
unknown1965

Post by unknown1965 »

Got mine with Carol Nash on renewal this year plus free Dna kit for extra security bargain really :)