Winter blues.

General Biker Banter
StormingHonda

Winter blues.

Post by StormingHonda »

I know theres a condition were people become depressed during the winter.

Passed few years, I have gotten not depressed but down for no reason I can explain, as the winter nights draw in its getting to the point where I dread the winter and long nights.

Thinking of going to the doctor.

Am I overeacting or should I go.
Kev L

Re: Winter blues.

Post by Kev L »

Monty Don from t'telly suffers from Seasonal affective disorder (SAD). It is a recognised disorder mate. Have a read and see what you think -
http://www.mind.org.uk/help/diagnoses_a ... tAodbE8AhA

It could just be because you own a Harley though!!!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I did consider it could be the Harley causing it :wink:

Reading through that does ring some bells.

I get cold sores and colds a lot during the winter months, I feel very sleepy and not wanting to do anything. Get moody or low ( not depressed ).

Maybe there is something in this, what doesnt help is I work shift work, I have its got worse since I started doing 5 nigh shifts, instead of four.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

i get down after the first two weeks of being of road .
i get over this by planning and stripping the bike down for a good clean and modifications (winter hobby )
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

StormingHonda wrote:I did consider it could be the Harley causing it :wink:

I get cold sores and colds a lot during the winter months, I feel very sleepy and not wanting to do anything. Get moody or low ( not depressed ).

Maybe there is something in this, what doesnt help is I work shift work, I have its got worse since I started doing 5 nigh shifts, instead of four.
Treat yourself to a winter sunshine break matey and get some sun on your bones.
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

lloydiecbr wrote:i get down after the first two weeks of being of road .
i get over this by planning and stripping the bike down for a good clean and modifications (winter hobby )
I ride all through the winter, except the snow and heavy winds, so its not lack of riding, mind you saying that its horrid and depressing on the A13 in the dark.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Kev L wrote:
StormingHonda wrote:I did consider it could be the Harley causing it :wink:

Treat yourself to a winter sunshine break matey and get some sun on your bones.
I wish I could afford it, the wife and bank says nooo :lol:
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

I know they call it a disorder or whatever, but I really don't think its that complicated.... Some of us don't like the cold and dark...Simple !!

I don't particularly like going to work, but they dont regard that as a disorder.

I find the best thing is to start planning something that you enjoy, and get it booked, so you have something to really look forward to.

Thats why I'm sitting here with the Europe atlas out, trying to figure a euro bike trip for next year.

Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry, ride accross the Pyrenees, accross southern France, up Route Napolean, then possibly Black Forest on the way home ( ferry from Calais ).

When the winters chucking all the shite at me, I'll think of my departure date, and smile :thumbup: :thumbup:
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Nice Lee. What is this work thing you speak of? Don't you find it gets in the way somewhat? :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Get your GP to prescribe you a 3 week all inclusive Caribbean holiday :cool2
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Kev L wrote:Nice Lee. What is this work thing you speak of? Don't you find it gets in the way somewhat? :lol:
Yes, and its always nice biking weather when I'm doing it to !!
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

StormingHonda wrote:
lloydiecbr wrote:i get down after the first two weeks of being of road .
I ride all through the winter, except the snow and heavy winds, so its not lack of riding, mind you saying that its horrid and depressing on the A13 in the dark.
A13 & infact the whole bloody area is depressing, in the light or dark !

If you go to the doc's chances are he will just give you pills*, which might not be a bad thing but watch the side effects. Driving operating machinery that sort of thing.

The cold sores & colds sounds like low immunity which could be a symptom of not sleeping well.
Night work can be a bugger for screwing up your body & general well being.

Hasn't your company got a doctor or other medical type person ?

* If he gives you anti depressants, you can sell them in sales & want's to the blue owners, it might just be enough to cheer them up a bit.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

leevtr wrote:I know they call it a disorder or whatever, but I really don't think its that complicated.... Some of us don't like the cold and dark...Simple !!

I don't particularly like going to work, but they dont regard that as a disorder.

I find the best thing is to start planning something that you enjoy, and get it booked, so you have something to really look forward to.

Thats why I'm sitting here with the Europe atlas out, trying to figure a euro bike trip for next year.

Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry, ride accross the Pyrenees, accross southern France, up Route Napolean, then possibly Black Forest on the way home ( ferry from Calais ).

When the winters chucking all the shite at me, I'll think of my departure date, and smile :thumbup: :thumbup:
I know what your saying, but its kind of a weird feeling, like winning a load of money and knowing you should be really happy, but your not, infact you feel a bit unhappy and you cant explain why.

I agree though, its not complicated, but there other stuff going on that tells me that its something more than just " its winter ".

I certinally dont want tablets for psychos, but I may look into the light or St johns wart, my wife had this after having a baby and it picked her up.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I ride all through the winter, except the snow and heavy winds, so its not lack of riding, mind you saying that its horrid and depressing on the A13 in the dark.[/quote]
MacV2 wrote:A13 & infact the whole bloody area is depressing, in the light or dark !
I would agree but during the summer when its wizzing past you at light speed its not that bad.
MacV2 wrote:If you go to the doc's chances are he will just give you pills*, which might not be a bad thing but watch the side effects. Driving operating machinery that sort of thing.
Yeah thats what a want to avoid.
MacV2 wrote:The cold sores & colds sounds like low immunity which could be a symptom of not sleeping well.
Night work can be a bugger for screwing up your body & general well being.
Which is one of the symptons of SAD apparently.
MacV2 wrote:Hasn't your company got a doctor or other medical type person ?

* If he gives you anti depressants, you can sell them in sales & want's to the blue owners, it might just be enough to cheer them up a bit.
The company medical staff are tossers, who have only the companies interests at heart.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I suffer from SAD. When It's cold and wet I get down and moody to the point of not even wanting to get up. And just stay wrapped up and warm and sleep all day. If I had to go out to do something I would even start thinking up excuses to get out of it. But as soon as the Summer comes and the Sun is shining I'm happy again. It's strange because I don't suffer it from snow for some reason. I really like the snow and when it's snowing it's not that cold.

I have thought about buying one of those SAD lights which apparently do work wonders for the feel good factor. But I think the best answer is to either emigrate to somewhere warm or do as Lee is doing and disappear for the winter months.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside