Windows 8...

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
Rob

Windows 8...

Post by Rob »

ahem, I haven't bought a copy of Windows since 3.11 :oops:

But it seems I can now download Windows 8, from MS for £24.99.

So I'm going to try that as for £25 it's not worth all the messing about trying to avoid activiation, though I seem to have done that fairly successfully :lol:

The only thing is I'm going to buy an upgrade but try a clean install (as I don't have a valid previous key). I would buy the full install but you can't seem to download it and I'm much too impatient. (And it's 5x the price)

So if you don't see me around it all went very wrong. :thumbdown:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
Rob

Re: Windows 8...

Post by Rob »

Things are getting better.

Visited http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/ got a code and bought it for £14.99.

Downloading now.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Installed now.

From dodgy Windows 7 to registered Windows 8 in less than an hour & only £14.99.

Just got to set it up and install stuff. Seems strange without the Start Button... I'll get used to it hopefully :thumbup:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Well done .
Do you get all the needless crap with it .

I hate spending the day cleaning up a new os with all the free junk they put on them
Rob

Post by Rob »

It's going to take a while to get used to it/get rid of all the crap.

Basically Windows 7 with a different UI as far as I can see. Just need to find CP so I can install drivers :lol:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

i,m pants with all this computer stuff but a lad at work got it the dodgy way (car boot sale) and says he is very impressed.

my work is giving me a new lappy with it on this thursday , the blokes who have allready got it say it takes a bit of getting used to ?!
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Rob

Post by Rob »

It's designed as a cross platform OS and that is very obvious.

I feel a bit lost atm but I'm sure I'll get used to it pretty quickly. I'm not one to hate change - I generally embrace it. (Except for Windows ME & Vista - they were shite :lol: )
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

Rob wrote:It's designed as a cross platform OS and that is very obvious.

I feel a bit lost atm but I'm sure I'll get used to it pretty quickly. I'm not one to hate change - I generally embrace it. (Except for Windows ME & Vista - they were shite :lol: )
got vista home premium on my pc at home and i dont like it all!

its old now but i always thought XP was dead easy to use
Rob

Post by Rob »

For anyone interested you can also get Windows 8 Media Center for free until Jan 31st (same as all the other offers)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ture-packs
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
tasum

Post by tasum »

hi mate i had a look at the link, but it seems only available for new pc purchasers, is there another link for the deal you got?

ta
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
Rob

Post by Rob »

tasum wrote:hi mate i had a look at the link, but it seems only available for new pc purchasers, is there another link for the deal you got?

ta
No that's the one.

You just have to put the date that you purchased a Window 7 PC within the last month.

A little lie but it works :thumbup:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Rob, I'm still on XP :) what's the downside(s) with Windows 7 :?:

Chris.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

well I thought I did,nt like home vista premium ! but I really don't think me and windows 8 are going to get on :(

It is capable of doing lots of really clever things I don't understand, but has made doing some simple things more long winded. :x

at work I get loads of e mails with document attachments which I have to open, review , modify, approve and send off to a relevant department. with the old system I just amended the doc , closed it , agreed to save the changes and bosh it was done. I could then forward the original e mail with amended document to where I wanted to get the work done. long story short but W8 wont do it. it makes a new document which has to be moved to new file I then have to go back to the old e mail or create a new one and insert the new doc and delete the old doc then send to where I want it.

might not seem a lot but it has actually tripled the time it takes me to do that portion of my work which is not what I want with new "improved" technology.

also as I am unfamiliar with it I cant find anything ?! spect it will get better :thumbup:
darkember

Post by darkember »

Was a great XP fan & also used 2000 which was rock solid. W7 is ok does all I need & has not thrown up any real issues. Not interested in W8 as its microsoft window dressing. The only reason I moved to W7 was to get the 64 bit capability.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Not interested in W8 as its microsoft window dressing
This is the biggest problem with all these updates. And I will even :eek2 include Mac OS systems in this as well these days.

It's all about Window dressing (as you put it) and fancy bull. Making operating systems more gadgety and like mobile phone app environments. I'm sick of it, what's happened to usability, accessibility and the way the user interface is supposed to be designed to make things easier and quicker, less mouse movements/distance to travel from a to b across your screen etc etc. Things seem to be less productive these days and going downhill instead of up.

Greedy companies bringing out updates to make money even to the point where one is forced to upgrade from a perfectly usable system eventually, machines as well!

I used to keep my computers up to date with the latest OS system and applications and stuff and rode that wave of keeping everything up to date as far as it could go. But this introduces more problems to work around, hacks to get around bugs/quirks in new operating systems and applications and compatibility issues. Update to a later software then you need a later system to run it on etc etc, it's never ending.

I now don't ride that wave any more and am happy with an older system with older software's and don't update anything until I am at the point where it stops me from doing what I need to do and use my computer and software's for. Even then I am still having to hack the Flash plugin, by making it fool browsers into thinking it's the latest Flash plugin. The problem is I have updated the OS on my older G5 processor mac as far as it can go and the latest Flash plug in is not compatible which causes me problems on websites because lazy/bad web designers (which is another subject) don't make their sites backwards compatible for those on older systems.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant but I am angry with these big companies and the technology and the way it's going. It's all about greed and ripping us off and making money. For fooks sake they don't even Beta test stuff properly any more before it's released, as the industry moves so fast. They leave the Beta testing for us, the end user once you have bought the product. So we are left with a product full of bugs faults etc that we can complain about and find workarounds. Then they release an update which they charge you again for if it's a major upgrade. When in fact they should be paying us for the work we have done discovering bugs/faults and making workarounds in the previous OS system they sold us.

Your better off lagging behind a year or two with the technology and leaving the Beta testing :eek2 hacking and workaround the bugs/quirks to people who know what they are doing and have the time, money and patience to mess around getting it all running smoothly and wanting to have the very latest tech, as I used to be like. I have now seen the light and wont do the dirty work of these greedy companies any more. :thumbup:

Sorry rant over. :lol:

(:-})

PS watch how many people are going to have problems with the new 4G mobile network and they will be paying a high price for it.
==============================Enter the Darkside