axle adjuster

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
marty b

axle adjuster

Post by marty b »

hello people
can anyone give me some advise , i was trying to adjust my chain when i realised one of the adjusting bolts was siezed in the swingarm , sort of chewed it up trying to turn it ...no joy , ordered another bolt , sprayed loads of wd 40 on the stuck bolt left to soak in an tried to loosen it but it snapped off , does anyone no if there is a after market adjuster out there or do i have to have the swingarm drilled and re-threaded.......HELPPPPP :confused
Wicky

Re: axle adjuster

Post by Wicky »

Might be easier to get a secondhand swing arm for about £25 - and while you're in that part of the bike check the shock linkages.

And nope there's no aftermarket adjusters.

Any photos of the damage as I never heard of corrosion that bad to the adjusters.

One possibility to try using an easyout though the bolt you've got to play with is a relatively small diameter.

Last edited by Wicky on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lanny

Post by lanny »

Not sure if Giles who make rear sets, levers, etc do them, im sure ive seen them at around £140. Chek the Calsport website :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm not sure if you can get aftermarket ones for the storm. But isn't the 8mm bolt just threaded into the adjuster and the tip of the bolt rests on the back of the swingarm, so no replacement swingarm needed. Just but some second hand adjusters.

Here you go
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOOK-HONDA-VT ... 2ec2b0d553

:thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
marty b

Post by marty b »

thanks guys il av to see whats the best option , i might be able to adapt it .......cheers
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I've searched long and hard and have never found anyone making aftermarket adjusters for the Storm. If anyone knows of a company that does, please share.....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

+1

I think Tony was working on an idea of joining the end of a blade swingarm to a VTR swingarm. Basically cutting both swingarms in half and joining them together. There's loads of aftermarket stuff for CBR's.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I found a company who did make aftermarket adjusters for Storms, but iirc they were about £100.
Cheaper to do the blade arm mod.
Wish I'd kept the leftover bits of various Blade arms I've used to chop the brace off, as it's an easy welding job at the same time as welding the brace on....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

Is there an advantage to an after-market set of adjusters or is it just bling factor?
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
seb421

Post by seb421 »

The ones on the RR3 blade are so much easier to get spot on than the Storms type that's for sure

Sent from the Bat Cave via Cup and String
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The ones that extend rearwards with hooks for a paddock stand are nice and easy to use.

But your flares catch on them as you're walking behind the bike.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Actually this raises a question I have wondered about for ages.

Years ago I had a trail bike with snail cam adjusters, they were quick and simple to adjust. Why doesn't every bike have them?

OK not shafties :wtf:
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

Would the plate and the back be better with a bobbin on it or a lifter like the Gilles add on?

Presume you need a bobbin on the paddock stand to use them and most people wouldn't have that?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Would the plate and the back be better with a bobbin on it or a lifter like the Gilles add on?
I see this has got you brainstorming.

Apart from the originals not looking too pretty from a mechanical point of view I dislike the bolt adjusters on them. 8mm just seems a bit flimsy and I feel these could be bigger, also the score marks for adjustment measurement are not all that clear. So it really is a case of counting the turns on the spanner or getting a rule out to measure the length of bolt protruding on each side.

gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

ha ha ha.. yeah been thinking a little.

It's the bit Tony keeps catching his flares on at the moment though.. what would be preferable there.. bobbins or lifters?

I have bobbins on the swingarm and can see the point of having them at the back as it would probably make things easier when I have used a paddock stand but it's always been someone else's stand I've borrowed. They also have bobbins so not sure how many people would actually use the lifter option?