ccts

General Biker Banter
7057vtr

ccts

Post by 7057vtr »

I know this will sound sad but as i am new to biking i keep reading about the issues with ccts could somebody explain what they are. :?:
VTRDark

Re: ccts

Post by VTRDark »

Cam Chain Tensioner to keep the tension on the camchain. The standard Honda ones are auto adjusting but the little sring inside of them is a weak point and can fail at anytime without warning and cause the camchain to become slack to the point of valves or worse getting damaged costing a lot of money to basically have the engine rebuilt or at minimum a couple of replacement valves plus new cct's. You can either mod the original cct's so that when it fails it causes no internal damage to the engine and then get them replaced or fit manual cct's.

Some links regarding the Cam Chain Tensioners (CCT's)

CCT's can go at any time, it's a gamble!
You can either go for the stop mod http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=19416 Which is the Honda auto CCT's that are converted to a fail safe. So when it does fail, it don't send the valves crashing.
Or
You go for the full manual conversion, your options are here http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720

Then with regards to fitting View Topic View Topic http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Carl out of curiosity why is it the Firestorm ones damage the engine without warning, but yet, the I4s you can ride them with the CCTs gone and do no damage?.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I have not heard one that has failed as of yet but going by what I have been told and others experiences here and on the superhawk site. I guess it's down to the type of failure, If the spring stretches then there will be more rattle and that would be an early warning, but the most common cause is lack of lubrication and the spring becomes weak or rusts so therefore snaps which would be an instant total slack in the chain. If you are doing high speeds when this happens there is bound to be major internal damage caused.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

StormingHonda wrote:Carl out of curiosity why is it the Firestorm ones damage the engine without warning, but yet, the I4s you can ride them with the CCTs gone and do no damage?.
IIRC an IL4 with 4 pots and associated cam gear to one CCT and Cam chain assembly keeps less inherent slack compared to the the VTR with one CCT per pot etc so when it goes it's more prone to imploding catastrophically as things whip round or sumfink...

Someone whose poked around more thoroughly in that dept will have the right answer....
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
7057vtr

Post by 7057vtr »

Many thanks guys i have found some paperwork with bike that tells me they have been replaced so sorted.(i hope).
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

7057vtr wrote:Many thanks guys i have found some paperwork with bike that tells me they have been replaced so sorted.(i hope).
Doesnt mean anything, I wouldnt trust the Honda one's, manual preferably but modded ones are fine.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

i have found some paperwork with bike that tells me they have been replaced so sorted
That will be new Honda auto ones. Your best bet is to do a stop mod on them at some stage. It don't cost anything to do and all you need is a bit of 8mm bar or bolt for each one :thumbup: