Help choosing a helmet

General Bike chat
Virt

Help choosing a helmet

Post by Virt »

I'm trying to find a decent helmet for about £200 (at the most), as one of my current ones is too small and I wish to replace it.
I've found a few here and there, but does anyone have any experience with them or any other recommendations?

Ones I'm interested in:
SHARK S900C
SHARK S700S
AGV K4
AGV K3

As you can presumably see, I'm thinking of something with the 'aggressive' deep chin as my neck gets hella cold on a naked and every little helps.
Last edited by Virt on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
scrowe

Re: Help choosing a helmet

Post by scrowe »

At the end of last season i bought a Scorpion EXO500 Air Biometal from J&S in doncaster.

About £200 with internal sunvisor and inflatable cheek pads. really comfey lid and with the cheek pads you'll never have the helmet getting loose thing! :D It's like Reebok pump on ya Sweed!!

It's not the lightest lid but is so comfy and the vents are brilliant!! comes with pinlock ready visor and insert. the Scorpion coloured visors are great too (again pinlock ready) and so easy to swap on the lid. You can lock the visor closed or open a few mm for extra air flow too but the vents are so good it wont mist up (pinlock helps there too).

Fully removable & washable lining too. Do well in the SHARP test to>

After having HJC's, Sharks, Arai's and KBC's I'd say the build is as good a Arai easily!!

CANNOT RECOMEND ENOUGH!!
Virt

Post by Virt »

Okay, I was looking at the Scorpion helmets but I wasn't sure on it. Visually they aren't incredible and I'd want the deep chin to protect my neck, as my balaclava and neck warmer are both crap
bluestoesonnose

Post by bluestoesonnose »

I'd buy what fit's has the features you're looking for and is in the colour you want
scrowe

Post by scrowe »

I was sceptical about the Scorpions as you dont hear a great deal about them over hear but i cant fault it. I has a chin draft skirt thingy too! :lol:

The paint is thick and durable as well.

But like all these things is all about the fit. get what works for you!! :)

the Shark lids , i found, were very close to my face and i think suited a more round head were as the scorpion is more arai in shape in side.
Last edited by scrowe on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluestoesonnose

Post by bluestoesonnose »

Personal thing but I really don't like the chrome Z on them, I'd consider one if it didn't have that on it
scrowe

Post by scrowe »

bluestoesonnose wrote:Personal thing but I really don't like the chrome Z on them, I'd consider one if it didn't have that on it

you can take it off! depending on the lide its either a bright chrome or a dark one. on the other hand you can (on the scorpion website) really bling them up with all sorts of bits like anodised visor releases and vents i think.

i got the BIOMETAL scheme with a blue visor which i like alot! there very different which is good! otherwise we'd all have gixxers!!!!!!
Last edited by scrowe on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Just had a look at the Scorpion, it seems alright and claims to have a fair amount of "incredibly" features. Might have to go with a different visual style though :lol:

Although the 750 Air or whatever it is costs the same amount as your one, it's just plain and black and boring..
That being said, this looks so nice.
scrowe

Post by scrowe »

it certainly does!!! un less you go flip front on the scorpions you dont get a great deal more for your cash with the EXO1000 but the shell shape changes so the 750 or 1000 may not fit as well (or fit better).

i love stuff thats unusual or different. thats why we have VTR's!!! we could have a blade or gixxer or any thing else that is in every carpark on the planet but i'd rather go a differet way! :lol:
Virt

Post by Virt »

Very true :lol: I'm checking them out, seeing what I can fit on them. I'm interested, thanks a lot :D
Virt

Post by Virt »

Also, where did you get the coloured visor? I'm looking on the J&S website but they don't seem to have any :/
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Ive got a brand new s900 still in the box.... Yours for 75
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

The Visor Shop - http://www.visorshop.com/about-us do most of them.
You can pick them up from the Bike Shows as well, The MCN show at the Excel is coming up. If you can't find one anywhere else (when you decide on the hat) I can pick one up for you from there if you're not making the journey down.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Virt

Post by Virt »

Kev L wrote:The Visor Shop - http://www.visorshop.com/about-us do most of them.
You can pick them up from the Bike Shows as well, The MCN show at the Excel is coming up. If you can't find one anywhere else (when you decide on the hat) I can pick one up for you from there if you're not making the journey down.
Well the hat is currently going to be either
this or this. Most likely the former to be honest, Scorpions seem pretty good but I dunno... :lol:

Based on that, which I doubt will change really. I'll probably go with this visor.. But I heard that dark or iridium visors aren't road legal? :S
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

You're quite right mate they're not legal for road use and will be marked as such on the visor. However I (touch wood!) have never been pulled for riding with a dark visor on. I have used Iridium and dark race visors with no ill effects, however if you get pulled for something else then stuff like small plates and visors are likely to come into the conversation!!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF