new bike help

General Bike chat
flybaby

new bike help

Post by flybaby »

just bought a W reg (2000) firestorm with 12,500miles. Having Scotoiler and dynojet fitted before pickup.

Any suggestions/tips/advice for my first week on this baby? What about tyres? :D
ktd001

Post by ktd001 »

Hello & welcome to the site!

Advice for 1st week?

1. Take it easy! If you haven't had a V-twin before there's a lot of changes to get used (all good!) 8)

2. Enjoy it :D

3. Make sure you know where the petrol stations are :?

4. Err, thats it really
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
Bink

Post by Bink »

Welcome!

Mind that engine braking in low gears!! If you're not used to a V2 it can take you by surprise.

What bike did you ride previous? Just take it easy for the first while.

As for tyres. Any decent sport/road tyre will do.
Preference seems to lie with Bridgestone 010's or a 010/020 mix.
For a more demanding riding style check for 207RR's, Diablo's etc
flybaby

Post by flybaby »

Hi all!

thanks for the advice, really looking forward to getting my hands on the sexy beast!

Will watch out for the engine braking etc, cheers.

Riding an Africa twin and fazer in the past so this should be fun :D

Also have a mate who has street fighted his and it rides great
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Keep an eye on your speed, these V twins are deceptivley fast. The thing sounds like it's just ticking over when your doing about 80. And like ktd says, make a note of the petrol stations in your area, you'll be on first name terms with their staff soon enough.
Rich.

flybaby

Post by flybaby »

cheers cupasoop!

I reckon i will be needing another 17litre back pack full of fuel or perhaps convert a top box as an extra fuel tank 8O

well it will be worth filling up in the long (or short) run :D

Hopefully off to spain in sept with another VTR 98 model and Blackbird soon so will keep you all posted on how it goes :wink:
ktd001

Trip

Post by ktd001 »

Have a great trip. I went for a wee tour (2000miles) on the 3rd day of Storm ownership and I loved it. Came back from another trip 2 weeks ago and its a very comfy bike. Just watch out for travelling on a sunday 'cos all the smaller petrol stations shut! Worth finding out if your credit card will work in their automated pumps, if not, make sure you know where the nearest Peage is (Petrol stations always open).
It seems like a bit of a theme this but unless you've got a VFR, the same applies to most bikes :roll:
flybaby

Post by flybaby »

sounds great and thanks for the tip!! Water bottles full of fuel i guess 8O

Best open my own chain of bike only petrol stations every 100miles - could be a winner :lol:
bluesman

did it twice on Hornet

Post by bluesman »

about same distance (3555 km) And with same problems :) 16 liter tank and revvy engine you can not resist revvying :) and then long 6th gear downhill ride desperately looking for petrol :)
I guess no matter what size of tank you have -just put as rule of thumb schedule: start looking for fuel every 130 km for example :)
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
ktd001

Also

Post by ktd001 »

And take a pillion. It always helps if you have to push uphill! :oops:
flybaby

Post by flybaby »

I think I may fit a large flashing red light (disguised as a nitros button so it looks cooler) to indicate 'low on fuel'!!! :D

I think I may raise the bars up for the tour, standard riding position could get a bit painful on a long trip i hear!!
theweeeman

Post by theweeeman »

hi flybaby, i was in your possition not so long ago, mine too is a W at 19000 miles. The first thing to do is ride in dry weather till your used to the gearing and engine breaking. As others have said it ticks over oh too nicely at 80mph so keep an eye on your speed. Practice using the engine breaking to set up for a corner, as changing down and breaking will have you entering slow. Remember it likes to tighten up on corners too. I went from an R6 to this and i bloody luv it. let us know how you get on.
the weeeman riding the storm!
http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/gallery/746.jpg
check this out too!
http://www.toolcrew.co.uk
bluesman

just a sec..

Post by bluesman »

so, Storm really likes to tighten up trajectory in corners? So my impression was correct? I am new to Storm myself and was thinking - may be it is my Hornet riding habits - but looks like that's for real???
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
bunnybouy

Post by bunnybouy »

if you get a chance do a track day :lol:
i just done the Moto challenge GB
done around 2700 miles plus a evening at knock hill.
it was awsome. i never been on a track before and was worried i about being left behind. but it was awsome out draging cornering and braking every one. which really surrprised me. beating the r1,r6 and blades :twisted:
i was laping 1.04sec i don't know if this is good but i boody enyoyed my self :wink:

jay 8)
ktd001

Position

Post by ktd001 »

Hi Flybaby

If you haven't got one on there, get yourself a double bubble screen (£50 for an Aeroblade iridium!). For long trips it makes a massive difference to comfort (as long as you haven't got your tankbag extended). No need to mess around with bar risers unless you've a bad back. It's quite a shock when you stick your head above the screen at 130mph and realise what a good job the screen does!

Weeeman

So it IS the bike then! Thought I must have really fat elbows or something, the way that corner angle sharpens!