Help needed

General Bike chat
thumperslaw

Help needed

Post by thumperslaw »

Guys need some advice. This morning on the way to work I rear ended a car. I was on the round about already and women driver cut me up leaving me no where to go ( petrol, damp, right next to petrol station and busy lorry way)
Then car driver pulls out from behind a lorry causing the women in front of me to slam her brakes on...(see where this is going) I could not do any thing apart from slam mine on and slid in to her. Happen so fast from the minute she cut me up till impact with her. My insurance people saying its my fault before they even heard what I had to say. So i told them "assumptions are the mother of all wombles ups"
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
Virt

Re: Help needed

Post by Virt »

You were already on the roundabout, it's her fault as you have right of way. If she was behind a lorry and she couldn't see you then she should have waited until the lorry moved instead, as then she would know it's safe to enter and she could presumably out accelerate it anyway. Either way, as far as I can see you're in the right. Did the police turn up and ask questions to you/her/witnesses? If there's a case number you can refer to that with your insurance company
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

Virt wrote:You were already on the roundabout, it's her fault as you have right of way. If she was behind a lorry and she couldn't see you then she should have waited until the lorry moved instead, as then she would know it's safe to enter and she could presumably out accelerate it anyway. Either way, as far as I can see you're in the right. Did the police turn up and ask questions to you/her/witnesses? If there's a case number you can refer to that with your insurance company
The car that pulled out from the lorry never stopped and carried on driving. Leaving me and the women who i rear ended stuck on the round about.
98 storm with goodies!

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
edds11

Post by edds11 »

Police and Insurance will instantly say its your fault unless you have video evidence otherwise (whiplash swindles), defensive driving techniques Iam afraid are the order of the day.
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

edds11 wrote:Police and Insurance will instantly say its your fault unless you have video evidence otherwise (whiplash swindles), defensive driving techniques Iam afraid are the order of the day.
It seems that way

I am still going to fight it tho
98 storm with goodies!

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
edds11

Post by edds11 »

nothing to lose
:thumbup:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Sorry but they are going to blame you. In point of fact you hit her and she was then probably stationary. They say you were too close to stop, Crap but thats the way it goes. Not to much damage i hope. Winesses are you best bet. Good luck.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

I might as well bend over for this....
98 storm with goodies!

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
skyman

Post by skyman »

forget whos at fault i think youre on to a loser with regard blame :eek2 just be pleased the outcome is no damage to you hopefully the bike is ok or repairable so :D
lifes just sh1t sometimes and certainly aint fair
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

Fork seal popped,smashed front mudgaurd

And sore bulls ;)
98 storm with goodies!

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
skyman

Post by skyman »

thumperslaw wrote:Fork seal popped,smashed front mudgaurd

And sore bulls ;)
mate ive changed down without leveling the revs and had sore bulls :oops:
geodude

Post by geodude »

That sucks. Good luck fighting it mate.

The reason it might go against you is in the highway code.

Say the following in a train spotter type nasal voice!!
126 Stopping Distances. Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear.

You should leave enough space between you and the vehicle in front so that you can pull up safely if it suddenly slows down or stops.

The safe rule is never to get closer than the overall stopping distance (see Typical Stopping Distances diagram, shown below) allow at least a two-second gap between you and the vehicle in front on roads carrying faster-moving traffic and in tunnels where visibility is reduced.

The gap should be at least doubled on wet roads and increased still further on icy roads remember, large vehicles and motorcycles need a greater distance to stop. If driving a large vehicle in a tunnel, you should allow a four-second gap between you and the vehicle in front.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

good luck thumper, the police tried to convict me of riding without due care and attention when i rear ended a van driver who decided to do a u-turn in front of me without any warning, fight it all the way fella.......... :crazy:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The best thing you can do is Wright down while it's all fresh in your memory the order of events. Get some photo's of the road layout where the incident occurred and do some drawings showing the cars positioning etc. Any witnesses, did you get their contact details. This will all help as mitigating circumstances but unfortunately like others have said, the Insurance will always put the blame on the person behind for whatever reason. Too close behind or not reading the road ahead. b8stard the insurance co are. :twisted:

Sorry to hear the news buddy, it's a shitter. But at least you was not physically hurt.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

Yes my daughter had a bang in her car, a taxi pulled right out in front of the car in front of her, car braked hard and gently tapped taxi, daughter hit car in front. Taxi sped off and then Police came and told my daughter it was her fault as she had not left enough room to the car in front, without proof of what happened she had to take the hit on the insurance. Taxi was a council one (all the same model and colour) so she could not give any other information apart from the colour of the guy driving it.

Problem is with these cases is it's nearly always your fault if you are behind unless you can prove exactly what happened.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White