Carb Cleaning help?

General Bike chat
scrowe

Carb Cleaning help?

Post by scrowe »

My Storm was sat for a year before i bought it with fuel in the bowls and only ran once or twice in that time.

I was wondering if you guys new of a decent product (unlike redex) to add to the fuel and flush through without the hassle of stripping the carbs.

The bike stutters a bit at about 3000 - 4000 rpm when comming on to main jets off pilot jets. Other than that the bike runs fine. Its just the stuttering!

I just want to try a few things before the last resort of a full strip down and unltrasonc clean.
popkat

Re: Carb Cleaning help?

Post by popkat »

You could drain the float bowls to get rid of any water in the carbs first, then you could put something like silkoline proboost in the tank, it's sort of an octane booster/fuel stabilizer. But better would be to take the tank off, drain it and put fresh fuel in. If you still have problems after that then it's off with the carbs for a proper clean.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Drain the tank and put some high octane fuel in it as most of them contain extra cleaning additives. Check with the fuel station first, but IIRC the shell super is good, then give the bike a good blast/run. Redex and all those fuel additives can cause more problems than what they are worth.

If that don't clear things then it's a case of a carb strip down and clean. You can just use a can of carb cleaning spray from Halfords or something. Nasty stuff so where gloves :roll: I suspect the pilot circuit is blocked and float bowl a bit grimey. I would also remove the mixture/fuel screws and give that channel blast through as well.

It's really no big deal to remove the carbs and strip them down.

Carb removal
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 22#p223894

Carb strip down
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25177

:thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

Only way your ever going to get it right is a strip and clean of the carbs and jets.

Once you done it then it becomes easy to do after that!
Don't forget how many turns on the air screw tho you had
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Fuel screw :wink: ah fook it, call it a mixture screw then we all know what we referring too. :lol: It would be an air screw if it was on the filter side up top, like on two strokes. :thumbup:

==============================Enter the Darkside
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

cybercarl wrote:Fuel screw :wink: ah fook it, call it a mixture screw then we all know what we referring too. :lol: It would be an air screw if it was on the filter side up top, like on two strokes. :thumbup:

Auto pilot

Just what i call it to remind myself
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5