over heating

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
scottyhatchi

over heating

Post by scottyhatchi »

Hi everyone I'm having a problem . I did an oil and filter change and then went out on bike engine over heating to max in like only 1 mile of riding and is leaking oil so bad it went under my wheel and nearly lost control when wheel slid out wen accelerated to overtake a car absolutly crapped myself .

I can't understand what is wrong I'm thinking maybe its leaking from oil filter but seems a lot to be coming just from there and people have sed even if oil leaking it wudnt cause engine to over heat so drastically I have no idea what is wrong please does anyone have any ideas ?
Wicky

Re: over heating

Post by Wicky »

Missing sump plug washer? Did you tighten the sump plug to the correct torque? as over tightening could crack the sump.

As for overheating how much oil leaked out?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

For the oil leak you need to determine where it's coming from, so clean up any spillages and see if you can see where it's leaking from. Where about's is the spilt oil on the bike, there must be some signs for you to pinpoint an area. It could be a cam cover gasket not seated correctly or even the oil filter not on tight enough. Check the sump plug. Did you put a new copper washer on it. Numerous places for an oil leak.

Overheating could be oil related if there is not enough oil in the engine. Or you could have an airlock in the system. Is the fan cutting in at all. Check the connections on the plug on the front right radiator. Did you flush the system through to make sure there are no blockages in it. Are you sure there is enough fluid in the cooling system. After draining the system and re-filling, it will need topping up once the bike has warmed up.

Lets hope the oil leak is not caused by the overheating. I take it you stopped running the bike and let it cool down once you noticed it was getting too hot. :roll:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
scottyhatchi

Post by scottyhatchi »

The oil leak is worst and noticed when the engine overheats . As for coolant I filled radiator and bottle the bottle still shows plenty in am I supposed to refil the radiator like after run ? As never did I just thought u checked it by the bottle ? And the fan well that doesn't turn on for some reason noticed it was not cutting in wen in the red
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

6-5 Cooling System - Honda VTR Service Manual:
Fill the system with recommended coolant up to the filler neck with the motorcycle on its side stand.
Bleed air from the system as follows:
1. Shift the transmission into neutral. Start the engine and let it idle for 2-3 minutes.

2. Snap the throttle 3-4 times to bleed air from the system.

3. Stop the engine and add coolant up to the filler neck.

4. Install the radiator cap.

Fill the reserve tank to the upper level linewith the motorcycle upright on a flat. level surface.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

scottyhatchi

Post by scottyhatchi »

I've just bEen out n checked I've lost all my coolant its bone dry it was full earlia wtf !!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Ok fan not working. I suspect you have either dislodged the connector when putting the fairing back on or there not enough fluid in the cooling system. If the fluid in the right hand rad does not reach the sensor then it wont switch the fan on. So take you fairing back off to check the switch has not been dislodged. At the same time it gives you the chance to refill the cooling system. I would fill up at the rad, leave the cap off and wait for it to warm up and you will either see the fluid level dropping or the fluid starting to circulate around the system. It may be a good idea to give the hoses a squeeze as well to get rid of any trapped air that may be in there. Squeeze in and out all the hoses you can get to especially the lower down ones. Once you happy that the level is at the top of the rad and it's circulating nicely, put the cap back on and then top to the halfway level in the expansion bottle.

The oil leak is another issue and you will need to work out where that's coming from.

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

The bottle is just an overflow, it will not tell you if the rads are full or empty.

You need to open the rad cap and keep trying to refill it after running the engine to get all the air moving out of the system.

The oil leak can only be one of the 3 things you touched
1) the filter is not seated or sealed correctly
2) the sump plug is not torqued , or the washer is not replaced, or the threads are stripped
3) the filler cap is missing the o ring or the whole cap has fallen off
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I think yu need to drop the oil and see if the missing water is now in the sump. Could be your lack of antifreeze has caused a problem.
AMcQ
scottyhatchi

Post by scottyhatchi »

If my water had gone into oil wudnt that raise my oil level ? Eg wud see rise in window rather than loss ?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If volume of fluids in your sump had increased then that could have also blown a seal somewhere leading to apparent external leak. Start draining what fluids you've got left to see what's missing and where it could have gone - check as suggested for cross contamination.

Honda Service Manual downloadable PDF > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=18025

:Beer Popcorn:

scottyhatchi

Post by scottyhatchi »

So shud I refil radiators then run engine and see if I see any leaking ?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

scottyhatchi wrote:So shud I refil radiators then run engine and see if I see any leaking ?
No I would drop the oil and look for water. Use a clean container and if the oil is ok you can put it back in
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If my water had gone into oil woudnt that raise my oil level ? Eg wud see rise in window rather than loss ?
If it's a lot yes and as wicky said an overfilled engine can cause seals to burst and cause oil leaks.

You do need to rule out that the antifeaze hasn't caused any serous damage first. I suspect the oil leak is something silly like the filter not screwed on tight enough or the lack of a new copper washer on the sump plug. The overheating is either caused by a dislodged connector plug on the rad from where you have put the fairing back on and stopping the fan, or more than likely a lack of fluid in the cooling system which will also stop the fan from cutting in and cause it to overheat.

You need to fill the system through the rad and let the bike warm up thoroughly so the thermostat opens and the fluid will then drop down and circulate through the whole system. Then top up again. Give it a bit of throttle then if you like to get it circulating around the system faster. Once you happy that the level is topped up in the rad, then switch off the engine, put the cap back on and top up the expansion bottle. :thumbup:

Stratman

Post by Stratman »

All these things, like re-filling the cooling system properly, are covered in the much maligned Haynes manual. Quite why anyone works on something they don't understand without one baffles me.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!