Anyone able to advise on fitting a timer to my new boiler?

General Biker Banter
tasum

Anyone able to advise on fitting a timer to my new boiler?

Post by tasum »

I've had a new intergas bolier (hre 36/30) installed, replacing our old gravity system. It's in the loft and we had fitted a wireless programmer/thermostat (a salus rf505tx) which allowed us to set 5 temperatures at 5 periods durng a 24 hr period.

But the programmer/theromostat boiler seemed to be getting interference via the wireless and kept kicking the boiler in. We decided that we wanted a setup to allow us to control the temp wirelessley, but to turn the heating on and off completely via a wired timer (salus ep200 twin channel). Does this sound like it will work?

Can we have a wired timer to turn on the ch function of the combi boiler with the wireless thermostat (salus rt305tx) controlling the temp?

I've got the rt305 (just a wireless thermostat) working now, controlling the temp when the boiler's onboard timer turns it on. So I know that bit is working, but do we need a twin channel programmer to work with the boiler to turn the heating on and off? We want the hot water to be on as a function all the time as it's a combi. Either the whole boiler is off or the hot water will come if a tap ie turned.

Can anyone help. Sorry for the shameless request for free (hehe) advice :D :D

I'm not sure whether Lloydie is some type of pipe wrangler. but that could be something else altogether :lol: :lol: :lol:
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
lloydie

Re: Anyone able to advise on fitting a timer to my new boile

Post by lloydie »

sorry cant help :oops:
but i know a pig that might :lol: tho she is busy cleaning kermit :eh:
i went passed a helicopter tour place the other day and it was called "pigs cant fly but you can" :lol:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I had the same problem when I had a new combine boiler fitted last year. It turned out to be interference from the neighbour with a similar controller. The cure was quite easy, most controllers are capable of working on different frequencies. There are some little plastic pins on the back of the programmer and some more in the receiver by the boiler. All I had to do was change the pin connectors and copy the same pattern in the receiver and then reset the power on the boiler .
Check your set up instructions and see if you can do the same.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

pigs cant fly but you can"
They used to fly over London all the time but they have been sub contracted out now. :roll:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Nickso

Post by Nickso »

I don't like Salus stuff....bit cheap and nasty but there should be instructions with the wireless roomstat that show you how to run it with a wired clock and wireless stat. If not it might be in the boiler intructions.

Never seen an Intergas boiler as they are not popular up here but general boiler wiring will use volt free contacts for the roomstat and is likely to be wired with a loop from the boiler to the clock to the stat and back to the boiler, if either the clock or the stat are satisfied the heating turns off.

Hot water is irrelevant as it's a combi and is always ready for when you turn a tap on.
tasum

Post by tasum »

Nickso wrote:I don't like Salus stuff....bit cheap and nasty but there should be instructions with the wireless roomstat that show you how to run it with a wired clock and wireless stat. If not it might be in the boiler intructions.

Never seen an Intergas boiler as they are not popular up here but general boiler wiring will use volt free contacts for the roomstat and is likely to be wired with a loop from the boiler to the clock to the stat and back to the boiler, if either the clock or the stat are satisfied the heating turns off.

Hot water is irrelevant as it's a combi and is always ready for when you turn a tap on.
Thanks Nickso

glad the salus chap isn't talking complete cobblers. Glad to know that what I'm trying to do is possible. Wireless therm now paired and working well. Just need the 2 channel timer to be plumbed in and then we'll be able to turn the ch mode off whenever we want, avoiding 3 flights of stairs. Knew I should have had the loft in the basement :lol: :lol:
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
Nickso

Post by Nickso »

If you have a combi you don't need a two channel clock...only a single is required. If you have already bought a two channel it makes no odds...just ignore the HW channel.