Ultimate USB output

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Trainraider

Ultimate USB output

Post by Trainraider »

You can buy lot's of things directly.

The real deal is to do everything by yourself.

So instead of spending 25€ for the USB output cable, I decided to do one my own.

What do you need:
- 1 pc: 330nF 50V condenser
- 1 pc: 100nF 50V condenser
- 1 pc: 10uf 25V electrolyte
- 1 pc: fixed voltage regulator (fx. UA7805CV 5V)
- weatherproof USB plug (this is hard to find and expensive)
- stable hands, soldering iron, shrink wrap, silicone etc.

And of course schema for that:

This can be done easy way, or the hard way. I did it hard way and got my coworker to solder it for me. :thumbup:

So when all the components are soldered it should look more or less like this:

Then you need some shrink and silicone. Fill the soldered open wires with silicone. Cut nice piece of "shrink" and slide it on top of the components. Apply heat and add another smaller shrink if needed (in my case I needed, therefore also the white piece of shrink).

The result should be something like this:

Then solder the USB plug to the cables. When you have soldered the +5V and GND to the USB plug you also need to connect the data pins with jumper cable. This is a standard thing and mobile phones don't charge without this. (took some research to find out this one, so now this hidden knowledge is also shared)

The ready set looks something like this:

And then testing.
This particular unit tolerates voltage range between 7-20V so even if your rectifier is blown, this will work nicely. :thumbup:

One thing is that the voltage regulator gets HOT. So you need to connect that to a bike frame or something else what will distribute the heat. Also the USB plug of course needs to be connected to somewhere. I will return to that when the motor is back in one piece.

The pieces cost roughly 15€ where the USB plug and the cap for that were 13€.

Good luck with your own electric engineering and the fitting instructions will follow when I am that far.

:beer:
- Hey, get out of that tincan you call a car
'Coz that old thing wont get you far
Don't take a bus and don't grab a cab
'Coz I got a thing that'll drive you mad -
seb421

Re: Ultimate USB output

Post by seb421 »

ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Trainraider

Post by Trainraider »

:)
Indeed. There are lot's of options available off the shelf.

Here I wanted to play with electronics and to make something unique. Maybe it is not the best, but I personally value the craftmen who take a piece of aluminum and carve it to a something blingy at their kitchen table. :thumbup:

So this was DIY tutorial for all those (wannabe) engineers out there.

That twin port by the way looks brilliant. It was just impossible to get that kind of plug from the shops, so I had to go with the single port.
- Hey, get out of that tincan you call a car
'Coz that old thing wont get you far
Don't take a bus and don't grab a cab
'Coz I got a thing that'll drive you mad -
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice one trainraider :thumbup:

Chris.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

That has me thinking now I'm all Smartphoned up - just because it's a USB, how can you tell what voltage is coming out of it? We all plug devices into the USB ports on PCs etc and charge our phones, but how can you tell what comes out of the one on ebay for example? And if it goes wrong, have you fried your new phone? I really don't know and would be grateful for information.

Good work there trainraider - reminds me of when I made up a relay board for the TDM last year for all the little bits and bobs, rather than running them direct from the battery.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

seb421

Post by seb421 »

Stratman wrote:That has me thinking now I'm all Smartphoned up - just because it's a USB, how can you tell what voltage is coming out of it? We all plug devices into the USB ports on PCs etc and charge our phones, but how can you tell what comes out of the one on ebay for example? And if it goes wrong, have you fried your new phone? I really don't know and would be grateful for information.

Good work there trainraider - reminds me of when I made up a relay board for the TDM last year for all the little bits and bobs, rather than running them direct from the battery.
It should have those resistor type things to use up some energy as heat and reduce it down to 5v, I think...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
bsabloke

Post by bsabloke »

hi
just brought 1 of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5000mAh-2-USB ... 2a24283157
it fits inside the sat nav holder with my phone on top. at least 4 more batteries worth of power. the only cable out of the bag is the earphones. works very well. cheap & practical. loads of other uses too.
richard
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

OK, this has me thinking. My digital camera and camcorder both have chargers which plug in to the mains and obviouskly have a transformer to step the voltage down. If I fitted a USB on the bike, could I somehow charge the camera batteries as I was riding (assuming they were in my tank bag for example?), rather than taking the mains adaptors etc all the way across the continent.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I like your thinking and would like to know the answers to that too :think:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
bsabloke

Post by bsabloke »

Hi
Take a look at the unit i purchased. It has 2 usb outlets on it. So you could charge 2 things at the same time.
Richard
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

bsabloke wrote:Hi
Take a look at the unit i purchased. It has 2 usb outlets on it. So you could charge 2 things at the same time.
Richard
Yes, that's good, but two things designed to use a USB charger; older stuff has a proprietary charger(s) and it would be useful to be able to use a simple USB cable. Granted, one would have to make up a cable with the device's connector on one end and a USB on the other, but that should be easy emough, even if we have to send out to Estonia :D

bsabloke

Post by bsabloke »

Have a look on the mains chargers you have. Should have input (primary) voltage & output (secondary) voltage. If the output (secondary) is 12v dc, you may be able to use a car charging socket.
Rich