Trackday ???

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

EggShellBlond

Trackday ???

Post by EggShellBlond »

Hi ,
I've been thinking for a while now about doing a trackday. :twisted:

Do any of you have any reccomendations about circuits &/or organisers ?

Ideally , I'd prefer to "do one " in the Midlands, as I will be riding there & back ( don't have a van or trailer) , although I'm not 100% sure that'd be a good idea. :roll:

Any thoughts ?

Cheers

Stu
If a job's worth doing..........It's worth paying someone to do it properly
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Stu,

The obvious place would be Donnington, I've done two or three track days there and found it to be very forgiving, plus theres plenty of run off areas (from personal experience!!) that allow you to keep it upright should you get it all a little out of shape. Most of the people that organise them are ok and have all the facillities open etc (especially the filling station on site, which you WILL need). Just have alook around and find one that suits then book it. The rest will be pure fun!!!

I always think that it's best to ride there as you always have in the back of your mind that you have to get home, helps to stop you turning your pride and joy into scrap metal.

Hope this helps

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

P.S I always tend to go in the slow groups cos..........I AM :lol:
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
SiJ

Post by SiJ »

Theres one at Cadwell near Lincoln in a couple of weeks run by Jamie Whitham.

£119 for one of the best bike circuits in the UK. I should be there thrashing the storm around.

Only downside is its not the safest of tracks as i'm sure Yukio Kagayama will testify!!!
Si
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Go to
http://www.uktrackdays.co.uk for a full listing of all days
You can search by date or by track

Ben

PS I'm going to Silverstone tomorrow :lol: Can't wait

PPS Anyone else fancy Oulton Nov 6th? (bring a coat!!)
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

Ben, seeing as I'm not working tomorrow I may pop over for an hour in the morning If I get chance......
Mind you I've got to get filter and oil for the bike and change the oil, get a haircut 8O , make and fit some gaskets for the car exhaust :oops: , pick up a freshly painted bellypan :D and get spruced up for a job interview at 2.30pm 8) ....phew might be a busy day!

Steve
EggShellBlond

Post by EggShellBlond »

Ok

I'm booked on for my firsy Track Day At............................................................

Darley Moor !

16th Sept 10.00 am Start till approx 4.30 3 groups , max 20 per group

£80 inc tea or coffee , 98db so the BlueFlames are probably gonna have the day off ! :evil:

Can't wait
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

Darley Moor are VERY strict on noise - definitely going to need your std pipes.

Steve
EggShellBlond

Post by EggShellBlond »

Mega Day :D :D :D

Nice , short breifing , then straight into.......................a puncture on my mate's bike :cry:
It had deflated in between the breif , and us signing on ( ie paying ) Nightmare !

However the organiser ( Chris ) was able to point him in the direction of a used ( well used ) Diablo for £cheap.

A quick call to his missus , and the paddock stand was on it's way. There were a couple of guys offerd to lend us one , but they were the bobbins type.

With the faffing about , I missed the Yellow group , so went straight into Green ( intermediate ) for my first experience on Track. Nice.

Only a dozen or so on track , so plenty of room for all .The first session was a procession , following an instructor, like a line of ducklings waddling about.

2nd session , and I was into it :twisted: The intention being to find my way around , & gradually build up speed throughout the day. That lasted about a lap.

Stunning to give it full throttle without worrying about trucks , cars and pedestrians launching at you

Pretty quickly found that I hadn't really been concentrating on the right lines , and had a " not going to make it " experience at the chicane just after the Start/Finish. Resolved it by going grass tracking , which was interesting.

Sie ( my mate ) missed the first 2 sessions , and re-joined for the last 6 sessions.

I got Shaun ( an instructor/ racer ) to have a look at me. His assesment was along the lines of " Smooth , steady & quick "

Well , what he actually said was, try and be smooth & steady , that way you'll be quicker " . Ah well. He said that I was getting a bit ragged , because I was trying too hard!
Which makes sense , but it's hard NOT to give a handful when you can see someone just ahead of you , and even more so if you're aware of a guy behind closing in.

Got the bike further over than I've ever done before , but it's still loads more capeable than I am. At the end of the last session my rear tyre was shagged , so I blagged another ex-race one. Sweet , rode back with it round my middle , 8)

Scariest bit was riding home , following a school bus , which stopped to let some kids off. I stopped , but my mate was off in a dream world ( one hand on his knee ), all I heard was a massive roar as he grabbed the brake , and shot past me all crossed up on the other side of the road, Ooops.

Fortunateley , nothing was coming the other way

Thoroughly enjoyed it , top day , and can't wait to go again

Link to the track is

http://www.darleymoor.co.uk

Stu
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Cool 8)
Glad you enjoyed it :lol:
Did they say anything about your pipes? or did you change them before hand?
Pete.l
EggShellBlond

Post by EggShellBlond »

Yeah , still buzzin' 8)

I changed the pipes before I went , so no probs there.

Interestingly , Sie has only got the one set for the Ducati , which are louder than mine ( I think ) & he just about got away with it , bang on the limit 100db IIRC.

Our MOT place will pass his , because there isn't a stamp saying " Not For Road Use " , but not mine.

I've arranged to go back with the Blueflames on , and just have a go on the noise meter , out of interest.

It sounds crap with the original cans on , but I didn't want to risk going & getting knocked back.

Stu
EggShellBlond

Pics in Gallery

Post by EggShellBlond »

I've managed , after much badgering , to get my pic's uploaded into the gallery from this day

My mate has very helpfully provided the captions :lol:

Cheers mate
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Nice Piccies Eggshell :lol:
I take it this is you giving it some at Darleymoor. I got a little confused with the name change to Nobber.......Anything you would like to tell us? :wink:
EggShellBlond

Post by EggShellBlond »

Ahem , yes................................

Mate's idea of a joke to put the captions on :lol: , although I DID say I was in the " nobbers " group

Charming , eh

Git
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Sorry Stu
been work ing hard and couldn't get back on :evil: :evil:
although I DID say I was in the " nobbers " group
Awwwh :cry: is that all?
I was hoping for something much more sworded and juicy :D

Pete.l