Avon Azaros

General Bike chat
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Avon Azaros

Post by Pete.L »

Last March I fitted a pair of Dunlop 208,s and gave them big thumbs down after first using them and a little later on as the weather warmed up I said they were much better and rated them quite well as a summer tyre. http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/phpBB2 ... ght=#10405

Well after a recent argument with a screw and a bottle of cheep slime I’ve decided it’s time to retire the tyre and replace it with something new.
So many people have different opinions on different brands of tyre, to me it seems, the argument of which tyre suits the Storm best has never been properly answered. A lot of the problems I think is so many of us use our weapon of choice for different purposes and all have different expectations from what we should be getting in return. Some are happy to stroll along through the countryside in a “no need to hurry like fashion”, whilst others are stop/starting there way through reams of commuter traffic on a daily basis and a few of us might only pull our tool out to give it a good trashing (yes, I am still talking bikes) on a sunny Sunday morning. The majority of us though will want to be able to do all of this so what do we choose?
On this occasion, rather than go back to what I know (Bridgestone’s) and what would be a financially safe bet as well (cause lets face it you don’t want to throw away your hard earned cash on something you don’t know and might turn out to be crap) I have decided to let nostalgia take a large part in my choice of boot and have selected Avon’s.
Yes Avon’s! Remember them. The good old Road Runner donning your old Wet Dream, chucking it into bends in front of your mates, giving it two wheel drift and wondering if your going to make it out the other side looking like a God or if you are going to bin it and look like a tit. That’s the ones.
Time and technology has move on since those days thankfully and although I had completed many a happy mile on those old treads I had given them up as a lost cause over recent years on larger machines. Now it seams they are making a revival. A tyre has been specifically designed for the larger sports tourer and all the Blackbird riders are raving about it saying it has good grip, in both the wet and the dry and excellent mileage.
So last Saturday I had one fitted.
First ride out was superb. Now bearing in mind it was still all glazed and shiny fresh from the mould, words from the tyre fitters still fresh in my mind “Go careful Sonny. Let them bed in for the first hundred miles or so” (cheeky get! Does he think I was born yesterday)? I decided on a rather sedate route with some rather slow, flowing bends not to stress thing out first time round.
First thing I noticed, only 600 yards down the road at the round about, was how secure the bike felt on a cold tyre. It turned in nicely, held a good line and was stable all the way around the apex. Quick flick to the left, accelerate off the round about and away we go. This was something I wasn’t used to. Even on my well worn Dunlop first few miles had to be taken with extreme caution. Not that it felt like a greased eel or anything just because is always felt vague and confidence in it needed to be worked up and not taken for granted.
Pottering along the main road I’m rolling the throttle on and off playing with the pickup from the engine. Guess I may as well confess to taking advantage of the tyre change and slipping a larger rear sprocket on the wheel at this time. Nothing too drastic, I’ve only gone up a couple of teeth on the rear. Everyone I’ve spoken to goes on about how improved the acceleration is and after a recent little sortie with a R6 I thought I might just sneak one in and not tell until after our next little ride out. Not that I’m a sneaky little bar steward, I just thought it would be nice to shorten the smile on little Bro’s chops I remember so well from our last little trip. What people haven’t mentioned with the sprocket change is the difference it makes to town driving. The 90ºtwin to me has always felt very uncertain at low rpm and if laboured in a high gear can turn into a bucking bronco and make you feel as if it could spin backwards or forwards at any given time. The larger sprocket almost eliminates this and 40 mph roll on’s in top are suddenly comfy for the engine. Personally after a very short time of having done this I feel it’s how the bike should have been geared in the first place.
Moving back to the subject at hand the first set of good roads consists mainly of tight 90ºbends connected with short straight a ways and one lovely little set of quick flowing “s” bends. Line of entry is all important here for a good apex and exit and with ever changing road surfaces, thanks to the local council, it can change from month to month. The bike lies down very easily, the feeling in the handle bars is neutral and although I’m still not taking it to full lean the confidence and feedback coming from the rear indicate I can take a tighter line or pick it up at will. Confidence and speed building I press on through the first set gently giving it more and more with each passing bend. The front is lifting coming out of most of the tight 90º 2nd gear bends but the rear is remaining planted and unruffled even crossing over changes of tarmac is being adsorbed. Well impressed with the adhesion and feel of the tyre my only worry now is I hope not to spin the wheel on the rim and throw the balance out. Never before have I felt so at home with a tyre so quick from the start.
Then a funny thing happened. I think my brain fell out. As I pulled out of first set of back roads onto the main road I find myself absolutely caning it to get to the next set of good bends. I’m enjoying the tyre so much I’ve forgotten I’ve only covered 15 miles and I’m totally fixated with seeing what my new sprocket is doing for me. No, it didn’t give me a hard on, but I might admit to a soft lob. It felt like the old girl had been given a new lease of life and what I had been used to before had just been boring and complacent. Now the Speedo was whipping around the clocks and every time I wanted a little more the engine was willing to give it. This was awesome! Head down, elbows against the tank, keeping the revs between 5 & 8 grand I just kept shooting between 90 and 140mph. The bars are getting all flappy with the ripples but just lean further into them and relax your arms (why do I put up with this I really should get them “Roger’d”) become one with the bike.
I was loving this. Only problem was I was glancing too often at my clocks and not at the road. Quick glance down, Speedo to 140, look up to check braking point and Whoa! Way to deep, Slam the bike full onto its side and close the throttle, too late to touch the brakes now. Get ready to close your eyes ready for exit stage left into a rapidly arriving hedge. At this point I would like to put it down to my tremendous skill or a truly exceptional suspension set up of the Storm but we all know that’s not true so all I can put it down to is an exceptional tyre which is capable of going to the ragged edge (at possibly 130+) and the power of prayer (you know the one. It starts off. Oh sh1t! This is gunna hurt...). Going round the bend was a tremendous rush. Fully cranked over and not even the tiniest squirm from the tyre. The thing felt like it was on rails. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. “Awesome!” Exiting from the other side you just want to scream with elation. Then reality and realisation start to return and you find yourself thinking “That was close. Hope that pee spot staining my jeans dries before I get home” and all sorts of self recriminations.
For the rest of my little tyre test I headed back off the main road and hopped into the lanes again. Unsettle but not deterred by my near excursion, if anything my confidence in my new shoes was at an all time high, I couldn’t help but notice as my heartbeat started returning to normal how slow and boring street legal speeds had become. Amazing how addictive speed can be. The pace soon hotted up again and the corners where attacked and dispersed with gusto. One flowing into anther and another until suddenly the roads are over and the destination is obtained. Home.
Jumping off the bike I squatted down to have an inspection of the tread (and to light a well earned fag out of the wind).” Nice” I said to myself, nodding my head. The tyre was plenty warm but not overheated and all but a few of the little rubber stalks have been scrubbed clean. I think I’m going to like this one.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Pete.

You bored or wot.

Del. (I am now)
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

So ........... Let me guess, ermm you like the tyre then??

:lol:

More installments of "Pete's ripping yarns" next week folks :lol:
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Stormin Ben

Re: Avon Azaros

Post by Stormin Ben »

Pete.L wrote: <HUGE snip>

So last Saturday I had one fitted

<another GIGANTIC snip> :lol:
So are you saying you only swapped the one tyre?
If so, front or rear and what have you got on the other end?

Ben
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Didn't you read the post :oops:

He did all that on the back wheel :roll:

Del. (onlyjoking Pete - twas a good read :lol: )
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

I got through 2 cups of coffee reading that. Need a pee now. You on some sort of creative writing course Pete?
Rich.

Bink

Post by Bink »

Are these them?

Heard they we good - but I do not like the tread much ... :roll: ...
Does that make me a fashion victim?
Max

Post by Max »

You'll be writing a book soon not magazine articles........ :D

Which model avon was it ??
Hooner

Well

Post by Hooner »

my thread is not as long, but I fitted a pair of these before the Assen GP , rode to Assen from Derby (Dover / Calais) and have spent many a weekend tearing up the peak district tarmac with the Blackbird, R1 and GSX`er boys since......
I CANNOT FAULT THEM !
Once warm they are as good as any sports tyre i`ve tried and have so far done approx 2k on them and they still look like new 8O

i really cannot find any fault with them. I would certain advise anyone to BUY SOME...it will be some time before i find owt else that inspires such cofidence... :plainsmile
Ride it like ya stole it !
barnstormer

Avons

Post by barnstormer »

Just ordered a pair of Thompsons from my mechanic mate.Apparently its the same company as Avon but there imported from the states.There banging them out on new R6's and R1's from the suppliersw in jHolland.The last 800 anyway and they're trying to get them on the market over here. As they're fairly unusual and are doin trails on different bikes I'm gettin a new pair for £90ish. Il let u know what they are like.
go on then,get on the back and hold tight
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Hi folks
Sorry been working so couldn't play.

Del.
You were so right. Work was so dead I had to keep checking my pulse :D
B'stard are making up for it now though :evil:
Iggy
Yes. I thought i made that clear (Some people are so slow :wink: ).
Stormin Ben.
You caught me. Only had the rear fitted have to wait until the next pay check before the Dunlop 208 comes off the front.
Cuppa
No not a creative writing course. Guess I've just read too many Bike mags over the years.
Now if you had read last months expenses sheet that was a creative writing extravaganza :lol:
Max/Bink
Thats the puppies
Hooner
It's all your fault. You made everyone suffer my diatribe :wink:
you put me back onto them after that post. Cheers mate :lol:
I just couldn't wait for you to wear then out and put another post up.
Barnstormer.
Excelent price mate. I hope work for you as well as the Rear works for me(Ben might be reading this)

Right. Gotta shoot catch up with you all soon
Pete.l
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Sorry Pete, only having a laugh :wink:

Looking for some new tyres myself as the set of metzlers I got are crap!!
They now have nicknames...........Torvil and Dean!!!!!!
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Hooner

Avon's

Post by Hooner »

guys....i have just finished my first track day on the avons..and...yes they behaved themselves perfectly........ :D
I was lapping faster each lap and only had one Minor moment (my stupidity)....left the braking faarrr too late for a tightening left hander....and nearly shat myself...BUT the tyre held and i made it round (with a squeaking elbow might i add)............. :lol:
even after 5 x 20 min sessions, the tyre still looks fine (like a new 020)....
try them......a lot of guys are fitting the sports front and the sports / tourer rear...but i have both tourers..and still have a big garfield grin from yesterday.....
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Iggy Said
Sorry Pete, only having a laugh
I know mate. I just reread my responce and it didn't come across the same way as I had intended the first time.
If I wasn'trushing sooo much at the time I'm sure I could have thought of something really insulting :wink: :wink:

come on Hooner give us details. Where? how much? any dices? Did you have to throw your undies away for the ride home or will they live for another spray--opps day? Details man :lol:

Pete.l
Hooner

re track day

Post by Hooner »

Pete..
It was billed as a "Police Rider Improvement Day" and it was at a test facility in Warwickshire Nr Hinkley....(top secret)... :lol:
It cost £75.00 and was run by Bloxwich Police Motorcycle club...ALL top blokes.....
The instruction level was brilliant..right from the "scared out of my pants" guys...to the "shite hot wannabe racers"....
Yes i did have a couple of dices...I started in the novice group, but after one session i was moved in to the intermediates.
The best dice was with a guy on a blackbird who was following his instructor, but couldn`t keep the pace..the instructor was on a new Blade.....feck do they shift.... 8O
He kept passing me down the back straight but i always out-braked him to the corner and pulled ground on him through the twistys....he always sought me out on the track through the day....guess he just liked the chase...lol