Why do you own a firestorm...

General Biker Banter
Ckennedy

Why do you own a firestorm...

Post by Ckennedy »

When I owned an sv650s as my first bike bike I posted this kinda of topic on there to get people responses and i was supprised with some of the answers.

So I am asking you guys, why do you own a firestorm?

Is it because your to poor to afford a sp1/2?

Do you love the feel of the engine and the simpleness of the bike?

Do you look to torque and the noise from the exhausts?

Your answers please as to why you own and possibly enjoy your storm.

For me I love the V twin. As I said my first big bike was a sv650 and I loved it (its still in the family but not owned by me) I fell in love with the engine, the torque, the noise and how smooth it felt. I always grew up wanting a GSXR 750 and to be honest I still would not mind one but now I can not see myself moving to an IL4 but maybe to a triple :think: I was looking for a sv1000 when I decided to upgrade but I could not find a nice one in my price range. Then this beauty of a bike turned up which was owned by the brother of a work mate who also owned it before his brother. I went for a short, quick test ride. First on my own and second with the missus on the back. I fell in love with it, the missus sad she liked it, so I was on to a winner. 3 days later the bike was mine. Since then I have loved the bike but because I was using it to commute I started to find it a bit boring and wanted to chop it in. Then I got a car and then realised why I first fell in love with it. It's fricking amazing to ride.

Yes ok it has had mods done to it:
Manual CCT's
2x long air stacks
Lightened flywheel
Heated grips
Harris exhausts
New paint and stickers
Mini indicators

Only the basics really but there is still more to do. I can not see myself getting rid of this bike now. I am having far to much fun riding, cleaning and modding this bike to see it ever go. I dare say I will run it till I blow it up (hopefully thats a long way away)

So why do you own a firestorm? cmon lets see if your comments are as sad as mine :lol:
Before and after pics are allowed if you have made cosmetic changes or if you just want to show off.

Before:

After:
callam_nffc

Re: Why do you own a firestorm...

Post by callam_nffc »

For me it was almost by chance that I ended up with one, was lookin for a new set of wheels and it happened to be for sale two miles from my house

Always wanted a twin, particularly an RSV or ktm superduke but really glad that I got the vtr

Maybe I will get an SP, superduke or rsv next. Who knows, but I'm pleased Ive got the storm now :thumbup:
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
chi kung

Post by chi kung »

I ended up with mine because it was cheap. Loved it for three years then sold it as I got bored of it. I too had an sv650 before the storm and the sv is a better bike but not as powerful. I now have triple and its too early to say yet how I feel about it, but I do like it.
geodude

Post by geodude »

erm.........
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I was toying between a VFR or VTR, I think it mainly came down to expense that I got the VTR and one came up and I needed transport desperately, plus I like the twin exhaust and sound. I would love an SP and have always wanted one but not only are they more ££££ to buy but the insurance would be a killer for me. I love my Storm and I intend on keeping it for some time if not forever as it's something I can play with engine wise and other mods. Something I enjoy tinkering with. I would like an SP as well. but that is a bike that does not need much tinkering. But I find myself looking at the Ducati's and it gets me thinking. :think: what would/shall I get next.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

geodude wrote:erm.........
Sorry Geo do I need to rephrase the question just for you and seb if he replys to why did you own a storm and would you have another?

I have read many different reviews on the SP's and yes they may be a good bike but can be uncomfortable and a hard ride in the fact of you need to put a lot of effort into riding one. I know a bloke who has an SP1 and he tours over France and Spain on it and he loves it, finds it the most comfortable bike he has ridden and he is 6ft 2" or something like that.

I do like the look of the SP1 but do not know if I would have one. More so to do with price and what else you could get for the same money, GSXR750 triumph daytona 675 ect. The one thing that would make me get on over all these other sports bikes is because it is a twin.
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

Because i wanted it

what other reason do you need....
Virt

Post by Virt »

I don't even know! :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Virt wrote:I don't even know! :lol:
That has to be the best answer :lol: :lol:

Im sure you will find out soon enough, when you allowed to ride it?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

tattoo wrote:Because i wanted it

what other reason do you need....
+1
Virt

Post by Virt »

Ckennedy wrote:
Virt wrote:I don't even know! :lol:
That has to be the best answer :lol: :lol:

Im sure you will find out soon enough, when you allowed to ride it?
I aim to please :P dad gets insured on it in 3 weeks and we're going for a ride out somewhere. I'm probably gonna steal it from him for a few miles if I can, but otherwise not any time soon. Won't have the much needed 1 years NC until 23rd October ( or so I bloody hope :lol: ) :thumbdown:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
geodude

Post by geodude »

For me it was love at first ride. I walked into a local dealer whom I have known for years. I saw the faster yellow storm and asked for a test ride.

He wheeled it out of the shop and said "The fuel light is on, take it to the garage up the road" (about 1 mile away). I rode it to the garage put some fuel in it, rode it back and said "I'll take it"

It was the low end grunt I instantly got addicted to and although the Beamer was a cracking little bike, that low end grunt and power was missing. You just need to read through the Tuono thread to know why I chose that over another storm but, yes I will have another storm one day although If I had the cash, i'd fit renthals to an SP2 just to piss the purists off :lol: Actually I prefer the upright position tbh.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i was coming back to biking after 10yrs, i needed cheap speed, it was a toss up between the vtr and zx9r. my way of thinking was honda reliability. ended up getting a cat c, r plate for £720, with mot and tax.
i've spent a lot of money on it since then..... :lol:
i'd never owned a v twin before so it was a leap into the unkown. my previous bike was a vfr800. i think if i'd gone straight from my cbr600 to the storm without any time on a v4, i would probably have struggled to get along with the twin. i can't see myself changing bike for some time as i've invested to much into the storm, i'm of the belief that 100bhp is enough for a road bike. i suppose i could be tempted by an sp in the future...... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

Mine was love at first sight. A mate bought one new when they first came on the market. I saw and heard it and was hooked.
When I was in a position to buy one and found a good low milage clean bike I snapped it up and have had it now for 10 years.
Love the rideability of the bike, no nasty suprises and very forgiving. Would I sell it,, Never. No need to. :thumbup:
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

I put on offer in on mine on ebay which I thought was cheap. 3 days later , no more bids and I,m off to kettering to get it. not even that sure I wanted it? I still had the xt 600 in the garage and I didn't really have the space for 2.
however after a very short while I was heavily seduced by it ( I don't have to explain to you lot) and cant really see me getting rid of it unless my back or hip conks out. would probably put high rise bars on it if that happened..
I have never ridden a modern il4 so cant compare.
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.