Bought my first 'storm

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Bacon

Bought my first 'storm

Post by Bacon »

Hi all

After a few years of SV650 ownership, I have bought my first 'storm! :thumbup:

Been looking for a while and got a deal on eBay which I couldn't resist but it does mean I have not seen the bike yet... if it is as described then will be handing over the wedge. Is there anything that you guys could suggest I look out for when I go get it?
agentpineapple

Re: Bought my first 'storm

Post by agentpineapple »

welcome to the forum.
another new member just bought a storm off of ebay and its turned out to be a lemon, so be careful. check to see if the cct's have been changed to manuals, and the reg/rec is the later finned type, other than that, that check for accident damage and signs of abuse, forget mileage conditionis more important, has the bike been loved and well maintained???
have a good read thru the workshop section... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

Hi,
Get the bike Hpi checked and if you get the ref number off the v5 and go to direct.gov.co.uk/mot it will give you a record of every previous mot and you can get a good idea if the mileage is correct :beer:
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

Usual things really but these engines are very strong, take a look at the oil colour and rub it between your fingers. That will tell you firstly does it have clean oil suggesting it's been maintained but also look for metal in it to see if there is anything going wrong. Listen for rattles or knocking from the engine although this is a noisy engine, it has a whirring noise as standard which is normal.
The CCT's may not be manual ones, that is not so much of an issue but it is adviseable to change them for manuals or do the "stopper mod" to the OEM ones soon after buying as the main problem with these engines is the CCT (cam chain tensioners) the spring snaps and then the cam chain can jump a couple of teeth on the timing and can cause some top end engine damage.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Read through the The Workshop Knowledgebase > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31 for common ailments.

On top of what folk have already mentioned - looks at the stater motor connection on the front of the engine and check under the rubber hood for corrosion.

Rear swingarm and shock linkages for squeaks, Inside of panels for repairs esp around the holes for the indicators, and where any additional stickers have been applied to cover damage from spills.

Poke around checking Disc wear and pads (+ colour of brake and clutch fluid) and straightness of forks. Are nuts and bolts copperslipped? also on the brakes is the plug pin - is it intact or mangled as a general indicator of how well the brakes have been maintained. http://images.cmsnl.com/img/products/pl ... 1_2aef.jpg

Read this also and heed the lessons of not thoroughly checking before handing over cash > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 2&start=15
Last edited by Wicky on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

Cheers for the replies.

Have done the HPI and Miaftr checks and they all come back clear. See on the eBay pic that it's got a VTR1000.org sticker on it so someone on here might have had it / knows a bit about the history. Will post a pic after I pick it up and see if anyone recognises it!

The CCT is something that I am a bit concerned about. When I spoke with the guy he said that the previous owner has 'had it done'.

Does look a tidy bike and has been well maintained, 1998 with 40k on the clock. Fingers crossed it's no lemon!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Bacon :thumbup:

Some good advice already been given on your question about your possible new bike.

My 2p worth would be, if you're not that mechanically minded take someone with you who is if you can. Also check that frame numbers and engine numbers correspond with the log document, as if the engine numbers are different that would indicate an engine change, so mileage showing may not be true for that engine.

Good luck,

Chris.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Worry if it's from the South Shields area and looks like a big yellow corn on the cob :!: :eek2 :eek2

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 52#p220752
Bacon wrote:Cheers for the replies.

Have done the HPI and Miaftr checks and they all come back clear. See on the eBay pic that it's got a VTR1000.org sticker on it so someone on here might have had it / knows a bit about the history. Will post a pic after I pick it up and see if anyone recognises it!

The CCT is something that I am a bit concerned about. When I spoke with the guy he said that the previous owner has 'had it done'.

Does look a tidy bike and has been well maintained, 1998 with 40k on the clock. Fingers crossed it's no lemon!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Worry if it's from the South Shields area and looks like a big yellow corn on the cob :!:
:lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forum Bacon. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club fella :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Virt

Post by Virt »

Welcome to the forum!! Hope it's a good quality bike and you have plenty of good times with it in the future :thumbup:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
dragonback

Post by dragonback »

welcome dude , you aint a 'polis' by any chance are ya ?
DOES THIS RAG SMELL LIKE CHLOROFORM TO YOU ?
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard buddy

You could take someone with you, especially if there is a forum member nearby
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Welcome. Hope the bike turns out to be as nice as what you have read. Good advise from Flatline, if you can take a fellow stormer with you. Hope you enjoy it when you get it.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Welcome mate.

Where are you from?

Someone local might be able to come with you to inspect it, it's always a lot easier if you know the bike and know what to look for.

Main things will be, as others have said, engine rattle from failed CCTs and damage to the frame.