Help, trouble sourcing fork springs...

General Bike chat
Ckennedy

Help, trouble sourcing fork springs...

Post by Ckennedy »

I have been looking into new spring for my bike and even though I ride with pillion a bit I am looking to go down the linear route. I am hoping that just whacking the pre load all the way up it will help with pillion on. Anyway I have been looking all over the internet and using Seb's calculation chart for spring weights I can not find any for my weight. According to Sebs chart I require 8.16 n/mm (yes I am that weight kitted up) But the lowest spring I can find on the web is 8.5 n/mm. Can anyone help with this issue with sourcing the springs or am I going to have to go with progressive?
lloydie

Re: Help, trouble sourcing fork springs...

Post by lloydie »

dont go progressive .
try these
http://www.mctsuspension.com/home.htm
ive used them a few times now and found them good .

or these
http://www.ftrsuspension.co.uk/
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

MTC would rather I went down with the bike and the other place only stocks 8.5 n/mm.

If I was to get the higher weight spring of 8.5 but use 7.5 fork oil would this compensate for the extra resistance in the spring?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Go to mc Donald's and get the stronger springs
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Go to mc Donald's and get the stronger springs
Do to get free ones with every Burger then. :lol:

It depends on whether you want a race bike or a touring bike. If you want race go with linear if you want touring go with progressive. You can't have both as there is always going to be a compromise. You cant have weight related springs and expect the bike to behave the same 2 up, carrying various amounts of luggage or yo yo diet. And on the other hand you can't have progressive and expect it to respond the same as linear if racing around the twisties or out on track.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Now I am running out of options. I have spoken with k tech and brooks and neither of them have any in stock and won't have for another month or more. Any more ideas lads?

Also when on the phone to k tech I asked them what weight springs they recommend for my weight and riding and they says 9 n/mm which is a lot more than sebs table. Any ideas?
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I used K-Tech for the springs in my 954 front end and they were very good.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

I bought mine from Brook Suspension

http://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Chris,
what is teh problem you are trying to fix with new springs?

if you are that light you might find the standard front springs are fine, it would be the rear that will be furthest out of spec for you
AMcQ
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

If you remember a while ago I posted about the extra spacers in my forks..... I found out that the spacers are there because the springs have shrunk over time and if the spacers are not there then the spring is useless. If that makes sense?
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Right panic over. I have spoken to ftr and they re ordering me in some hyperpro linear 8.5 springs with 7.5wt fork oil. 99quid posted, just going to take 7-10 days as they have to get them from there supplier in Holland. Happy bunny now :thumbup:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Nice one :-)
You might want to change seals and bushes at the same time :-) that's while you have the forks off .
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I know seals and bushes were done just before I got the bike but I shall take a look at them and see what there like. Assuming eBay is cheapest place for them?
Whoa Nelly

Post by Whoa Nelly »

Let us know how you get on with them Chris - I'm the same weight as you and have been in a slather of indecision over going for progressive or linear. I don't tend to be heavy on the brakes & try to be as smooth as possible, as well as being quite light, and on the whole haven't had a real issue with the original forks. However, I do worry that they could tie themselves in knots if I get myself into a bit of a moment...
WN! '99 Firestorm, furry dice & 2lbs of dead insects
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

It is nice to know I am not the only feather weight out there :thumbup: :lol: I had linear in my SV and I quite liked them. Ok with the missus on the back they felt a little soft but hey you can't have everything. I fancied having the constant feel throughout the travel of the fork and I have gone for slightly stronger springs than I need for my weight because of having the missus on the back. I shall just turn up the pre load when she climbs on. The next thing I think is a rear shock. Might opt for the hyperpro unit at £360ish in the next few months or so. I shall let you know what they feel like when I manage to get them fitted after the 7-10day wait for them. Hopefully get them in next week before the weekend.