Number plate illumination. MOT requirement?

General Bike chat
gaz_vtr

Number plate illumination. MOT requirement?

Post by gaz_vtr »

My storm has one of the clear rear lamps with LED lighting, you can also wire it to flash amber either side with the indicators. I haven't MOT'd the bike before and have noticed there is no white light underneath the the lamp to illuminate the plate. I'm not sure whether this lamp is supposed to shine onto the plate or not, or whether the plate needs to be illuminated for the MOT. It passed for the previous owner, although it failed for having the indicator feature working and adversely effecting the stop light, so it says on the fail sheet I got with the bike. They disconnected it and passed the bike.
The lamp itself is E marked and has the name 'Clear Alternatives' embossed in the plastic.
Does anyone else have the same light and can advise on whether they do have plate illumination or not.
VTRDark

Re: Number plate illumination. MOT requirement?

Post by VTRDark »

Integrated indicators will not pass and neither will not having numberplate lights. It needs to be clear and legible to speed cameras and plod at all times or it's a nic. :roll: I doubt the aftermarket LED unit with the indicators will have provisions for a number plate light. Have you looked underneath it to see if there is a clear bit of plastic to beam some light down towards the plate. You could always fit some of these. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Number-Pl ... 20d29e4716

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Rob

Post by Rob »

I have a Clear Alternatives LED rear light, but just brake light/rear light. (No indicators)

It has clear plastic underneath as well so shines red light down onto the number plate. Probably good enough but not brilliant.

It's been on for several years, always passed the MOT no problem - though I doubt it's ever been checked as you wouldn't see any light on the plate in the daylight.

Never been pulled and I've done plenty of riding in the dark....

Edit:

Found a photo...

'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Bins! *averts eyes*
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

I can help on this one I'm a bike tester, you don't need a number plate lamp
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

The rear lights are a little more complicated but basically the rear light and indicators must be separate ie the tail light bulb/led's cannot double as the indicators,if you go on the government website you can check out the requirements of the mot, it's a bit hard going in places but I can help if your not sure on anything
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

can help on this one I'm a bike tester, you don't need a number plate lamp
I stand corrected then. I always though they had to be illuminated. Nice one, thanks for pointing that out. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
edds11

Post by edds11 »

so then hairy biker......how loud are your pipes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

my mot man had a vfr last year that had baked bean can for exhaust :thumbup:
gaz_vtr

Post by gaz_vtr »

Thanks for the replies, I will leave it as it is and put it in for the test. I did wonder if there was something not working as there is an opaque white panel under the light which might have been a light and was just not working. It's the same light as the one in Rob's photo. The built in indicators have been disconnected since it failed for the PO so will stay that way.
Cheers :thumbup:
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

Oh my pipes are loud but not considered excessive :wink: it's the 'not for road use' you have to cover up!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Wicky wrote:Bins! *averts eyes*
What bin?

'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

gaz_vtr wrote:Thanks for the replies, I will leave it as it is and put it in for the test. I did wonder if there was something not working as there is an opaque white panel under the light which might have been a light and was just not working. It's the same light as the one in Rob's photo. The built in indicators have been disconnected since it failed for the PO so will stay that way.
Cheers :thumbup:
I just fitted mine with a switch so that I can turn them off for the MOT. but they're twinned with small indicators so there are two lights showing each side; one built in and one normal type indicator.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.