Fellow storm owners

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
ebenviljoen

Fellow storm owners

Post by ebenviljoen »

Hi all, have had my storm for about a year now. Stumbled across this site looking for manual CCt's, had my first chain slap so have put it away until these are fitted. It runs fine, just that little slap when cold and not ridden for a week. Brilliant bike though, got the 6mm spacer on the rear shock, what a difference.

Serviced the bike a week ago and replaced the filter with a pipercross, well it ran rubbish, so got the stock filter back on. The previous owner has put Scorpion Titanium blue flame exhausts on and threw the baffles away! lol, sounds great though, neighbours hates me when I turn up late at night. Always setting off a particular Jaguars alarm when going past. Back to the filter, I got a stage 1 jet kit that will go on. Will have a weekend of fitting CCT's and the jet kit. Ill get it on the Dyno once all is fitted, but can anyone advise a setup please? I would like to get it as close as poss really before I book a day on the Dyno. Also I read not to drill the xtra hole in the carb.

Also seen my chain needs replacing soon, what is the preferred sprocket sizes? Im not too botherred about how fast it goes, just how fast I get there! lol, think I read somewhere that 15/43 is a good combo, I might have that wrong.

Anyhoo, great site. I spent hours yesterday just reading the posts. Ill be hanging on the storm for a while I think, most fun ive ever had with clothes :lol: on!!! lol
VTRDark

Re: Fellow storm owners

Post by VTRDark »

Welcome to the madhouse. Yeh they are great fun to ride these bikes. I really don't understand how people can expect put an aftermarket a filter in with more airflow and expect it to work straght out the box. Especially with open cans as this will make run leaner. so adding more airflow will just add to it. :roll:

As for the Dynojet kit (I take it you mean Dynojet and not another brand stage 1) these bikes don't like the extra lift hole, not to say that it can't be dialled in to work, but it will not be easy and takes dyno time, even more so with an aftermarket more free flowing filter. Personally If using a Dynojet kit I would stick with the stock filter, install the kit to the base settings that they recommend minus the extra lift holes. Some people have had reasonable results with this. These bikes are very sensitive to airbox changes and as soon as you change the filter your are either asking for a lot of time, patients and experimentation (great way to learn about carb tunning :D ) or you will require some expensive Dyno time. And to be honest Modern day dyno techs don't like pulling carbs so will probably charge more and even then do they know what they are doing with these bikes. Or is it going to be a learning curve for them at your expense.

Shame the original owner threw the baffles out, they could be handy for MOT or track days.

As for chain and sprockets, don't forget that by changing the gearing it will put your speedo out without a speedo healer.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Welcome m8tey , good luck with your Honda Firestorm get the spanners and oily rags...
and go it it .. hey loads of technical experts here to help... take your time .. get it right
..ask for help if your stuck .. then go for a cool beer.. :thumbup:
over a dozen real ale pubs I see around Kettering. enjoy
:beer:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome :thumbup:
AMcQ
ebenviljoen

Post by ebenviljoen »

Thanks for advise Carl, I did think it will run lean with the after market filter, but you have a go don't ya! lol, it is properly set up for the cans though. Very nippy bike, I might even find that a Dynojet kit has already been fitted. And yeah I was referring to the Dynojet kit. Ill have a go with the after market filter without drilling extra lift hole. Will be a good way of getting to know the bike mechanically. If not then ill revert back to the stock filter. Just waiting for CCt's to arrive and fit these before anything. Have seen there is a nice post on carb tuning on here. Got a few ideas for the body as well, will post some pics as it gets done :D
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard buddy
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard ebenviljoen :thumbup:

Chris.
minaka

Post by minaka »

welcome mate, manual ctts are real easy to do so dont fret we will get you through it.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club Ebenviljoen, enjoy the ride. :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along from another newbie...
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

Hello :wave:
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Welcome to the club :thumbup: enjoy the bike. I have to say I love mine :D
darkember

Post by darkember »

If you want the correct sprocket combo check this site out, quite fun to use too :thumbup:

http://www.gearingcommander.com/
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

darkember your new avatar keeps making me think it's Kev. I have to keep looking at the name to remind myself :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

last year i ran +1 front and rear, made the bike very lively, but at motorway 3 figure plus speeds it did fell like it needed another gear to bring the revs down. but how often do we ride in top gear?
as carl said, we showing an indicated 30mph i was only doing 23mph, which is good for speed camera's but not good for the amount of miles showing on the clocks.... :(
if you use your bike for fun, i'd go for it, if its your everyday commuter i wouldn't.
oh and welcome to the forum...... :wave:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!