Anyone done a track day on a Storm?

General Bike chat

Anyone done a track day on a Storm?

Post by Image »

Anyone done a track day on a Storm? Someone has said to me that it would be a waste of time as you can't really get your knee down on a storm. That's as maybe but I still think a storm can corner well. What do you think?
AMCQ46

Re: Anyone done a track day on a Storm?

Post by AMCQ46 »

yes, and its more capable than most of us...............you will have fun and you will get your knee down
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I get my knee down every day on the road with my storm :-) you just need the balls just like any other bike
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Yes, Storm is more than up to it. I did 3 or 4 on my first one. Never got my knee down on it though, even though I could keep with plenty of those who did. Had to wait till I got my first blade before I managed that one, at the Ring.

I'd do a trackday on my CB1300......just to piss people off :lol:
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts

Post by Image »

Not had my knee touching the road yet but been very close to it. I think the storm needs to be leaning over more than a gixer or blade to do that.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

There were 2 at Cadwell last week. Flatty from this forum and a random guy on a black one.

Not sure why it would be any harder to get knee down on storm than any other bike. I got my knee down for first time on my storm, it's more about technique and balls / warm tyres than bike you're riding.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Post by Image »

The riding position is higher on a storm. I can get my knee down (i.e. scraping the ground) without even trying on a gixer or blade etc but I can tell the storm needs to lean much more to scrape the knee. I suppose the other issue is do you need to on a storm as you can bank very tight left or right without the knee down. Is the SP the same or different than storms for this?
darkember

Post by darkember »

The SP is a completely different beast. In the wrong hands it will spit you off. Its a storm on steroids :lol: :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Not had my knee touching the road yet but been very close to it. I think the storm needs to be leaning over more than a gixer or blade to do that.
No, you just need long legs. :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside

Post by Image »

Maybe I need bigger kneecaps
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You do bring up an interesting point about the Storm maybe not being a bike that is not as easy to get ones knee down. It kind of suggests to me that if one is leaning over that far and still has not got a knee down, does this mean that one is over as far as they can go and the bike wont go around a corner any sharper/faster :think:

I jest about the long legs but if you have two people, one with short legs and one with long. You could both be leaning over at the same angle right on the edge of the tyre, and the long legged persons knee could touch down but the short not. So is it a case of just wanting to get a knee down for the sake of it. Or should the short person hang of the bike like Marquez. Then stick an elbow down :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

if you cant get your knee down get ya ass off the seat more and go faster and lower and you will do it
popkat

Post by popkat »

Knee down on a storm same as any other bike, you need to be smooth though, if your not doing it confidently the engine braking can mess you up, use the torque, don't come into a corner with too high revs.
on track I've had a storm over far enough to wear through a belly pan and it nearly wore right through the downpipe. And you don't need rearsets on a storm either (unless it's for personal comfort) I just put chamfered pegs in place of the std ones, right over they might just brush the tarmac but you'd be on the limit. (with shock spacer fitted, ohlins shock and heavier fork springs).
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I have also been trying to get a knee down on mine to no avail. But I am rather short so blame it on that :lol: Not even sure how close I am as I have not had anyone follow me since I got my leathers so I don't know if I am close or so far away I might as well be up right :lol: :roll: