Starter Motor

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Starter Motor

Post by Pete.L »

The terminal bolt on my starter motor has completely corroded. :oops:
I was giving the bike a little TLC after work last night, topping up the oil, slapping grease around and tightening the chain ect, when I suddenly remembered the little black boot on the HT lead to the starter motor hadn’t been off since last winter. :oops: On removal I found a distinct lack of thread on the end of the bolt and the nut, washers and spacers were totally indistinguishable from each other. Putting it mildly “It’s completely fecked”. I daren’t try to remove it or it will just collapse and fall off. I can’t believe it still works without blowing the fuse. 8O
So, that said: Has anyone replaced the terminal bolt? Is it a replaceable item (i.e., sold separately) or am I going to need a new starter motor?

Pete.l
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

yep it is replaceable, I've done a few, it's abit fiddlie with the brushes etc and you will more than likely need the oring for the bolt and the 2 larger ones that hold both ends on the main body.

if you get really stuck I may have 1 in me garage.

Del.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Cheers Del :lol:
I'll take a trip into town and see what the local dealer has in stock now.
Didn't want to go asking them for bits and have them looking at me as if I've go two heads or something.
If I don't get any joy on availability or it's going to take too long I'll give you a shout.
Thanks again
Pete.l
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Err, bet they ain't got anything in stock. I may have the parts in me garage (I think but will have to check). If you need the part numbers they email us and I will dig them out. I also use a dealer that gets the parts next working day if you order before noon, if honda europe have it then they can get it and they will post it too. (Chambers fof Rochester)

Del.
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Oy Pete.........hope you can get the bits and rebuild it cos I've recently priced up a starter motor....£451.00

YEP £ 451.00
it may be clever, but its not big.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Theres a starter motor on e-bay at the moment if it comes to it.
Rich.

tony.wilde1

price

Post by tony.wilde1 »

£451 :eek2

a few eeks ago my starter was slow..so i looked and the nut that holds the wire on was rusted to ferk!!!managed to get it off ok and replaced it with a stainless one...sheer luck!!for those who havent...check it now!!
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Thanks Guys,
Only made it to Fowlers this morning to order the bits and guess what??
The bolt isn't a replacement part. :evil:
Nice little pic of it on the transparancey (fiche) but no part no.
for a laugh i asked the guy "How much for the whole starter motor?"
£482 8O 8O 8O

So Del, if you have anything lying around it would be apreciated. Doesn't have to be working, I only need the bolt. if not. no worries, I'll give a few of the Bike breakers a bell and see what they come up with.

Cheers all
Pete.l
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Ok pete,

I will check asap, I will also check me book too.

I'll see if I have d bolt etc

Del.
RQ

Post by RQ »

480 odd quid???????????????? 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

I'm worried now, the bolt you are talking about, is it the one at the front nearest the wheel holding on the "motor cable" as they call it on the on - line manual?

As for part numbers, tony, I'll stick up a pic in the gallery of the page from the parts manual.
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
tony.wilde1

fix

Post by tony.wilde1 »

when i actually got the nut off the bolt it fell to bits...eeeeek..so i ran a 6mm die ober the bolt and then put a new connector on the cable too..then put vasaline on it and put the boot back on...worth a check aint it?cheers.

did i use the word vasaline?oh dear ..getting ready for some strange replies now :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Thanks Del :lol:

Tony
That was my first thought , to redress the bolt, only problem is it's too rotted. What I will probably do if I get really stuck is have a bolt machined. Its only needs a shaped head put on it so it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Pete.l
tony.wilde1

bolt

Post by tony.wilde1 »

what a bast mate..i just caught min ein time..if the wire hadnt fallen off i wouldnt of known anything about it being corroded to f.if you do get a bolt made it should be stainless steel or brass.what a ridiculous price for a new one thouh..gasp! all the best with it .cheers
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Seems to me that anyone who could offer a re-condition service on these starters would make a good profit ?

Anyone interested ?
it may be clever, but its not big.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Shhhh!
you are ruining mine and Dels plans :wink: